The Official comprehensive thread of CHICO-ISM and DOC-TRUISMS

El Diablo

One of my favorite Doc quotes is when the topic between Chico and his conversation is drifting from the game.. Doc says .. "Well meanwhile back at the ranch" .. i always tend to laugh at that

edit: i found this old video of 1990 when Doc was doing Flyers commentating.. eventually you see Doc with Bill Clement.. he looks the same but younger and really goofy glasses lol

Edited by nmigliore

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

edit: i found this old video of 1990 when Doc was doing Flyers commentating.. eventually you see Doc with Bill Clement.. he looks the same but younger and really goofy glasses lol

LOL. :D You can really tell swapping Flyers for the Devils did him good. :giggle:

It does make me do a double-take when I hear the Emrick call of Hextall's goal in the playoffs, I've known nothing other than the Good Doc as a play-by-play guy.

Chico doesn't annoy me both because he's too darn funny (sometimes on purpose sometimes not) and because he's a local guy. Thank goodness he's not on a national telecast. Maybe Kevin Weekes can replace him next to Doc when he retires :lol:

Daneyko before the puck drops "Come out physically off the gate......out of the bat"

Chico: Remember how Marty was always remembered for short pads? (Long pause) or not!

Chico: Gotta get a pair of Marty's low pants for my collection.

Doc: Yeah, I bet there's lots of them available.

Chico: Marty's net looks like a hornets nest with lots of Islanders swarming around him.

Chico: Well that's good I guess. Good hockey message.

Chico: Make the play hockey.

Chico (while scribbling on the TV): Big Zubrus messing around up here (with squiggle).

There's a website up caled http://www.mikeemrick.com with a large graphic that says "Off Mike: with Mike "Doc" Emrick"

And below it "Coming Soon".

What could this be?

Not sure what it could be but he has a CD out from around 1999 or 2000 called "Off Mike" where it's a compillation of bits from a weekly thing he did for the radio. He basically tells a short hockey story or reflects on something big that happened that week in hockey. Each one is maybe a minute or two long. The CD is awesome and I still listen to it now and then. I think he's been doing Off Mike for NHL.com for years now but I've never gotten around to listening to them.

• 2 weeks later...

There was one last night, I wasn't watching the game but I was watching the online highlights.. after Marty made a save off his chest he said something along the lines of "(Thrashers player) tried to beat Marty through the six hole, the hole only penetrated once famously by Atilla the Hun..." and then it cut off :lol:

There was one last night, I wasn't watching the game but I was watching the online highlights.. after Marty made a save off his chest he said something along the lines of "(Thrashers player) tried to beat Marty through the six hole, the hole only penetrated once famously by Atilla the Hun..." and then it cut off :lol:

THATS the one I meant to post up here last night. That was a good one.

Doc's good for at least out riotiously hilarious quip per night, though lately he's been averaging three or four. It's been said many times, but it bears saying again: We're very lucky people to have Doc calling all of the games.

Chico during tonight's 2nd period highlights: "...and after all that, Marty Brodeur with about 8 or 6.....great saves."

After he said "8 or 6" he paused and realized what he had said and there was no getting out of it. I literally laughed out loud at this one.

Wow! I'm still pretty new to this forum and had never seen this topic before. All I have to say is ... wow! Ten pages of absolute gold (expect for the random Chico-bashing)!

It really makes one appreciate how lucky we are with the Devils. Not only the three Cups in less than a decade, but a tandem in the booth as great at Doc and Chico.

He's our Yogi/Scooter/Ralph Kiner all rolled into one.

a few games ago when Doc mentioned a player with a "Savardian Spin" Chico started to prattle on how SERGE Savard used to

spin around in his D zone , blah, blah, blah. Of course Doc was referring to DENIS Savard and his Spin-a-rama highlight reel goals.

Ya gotta love him.