Offseason Situation

Voros19

Ok, I just wana become acclimated with what our situation will be for this offseason. What's the Cap situation? Who will be some UFA's to target? What UFA/RFA's will we let walk? Post what you think next seasons lines, predictions, and salaries, etc., will be.

NHLPA Salaries

^Not all salaries are exactly right.

List of UFA/RFA

^Not sure how accurate this is. It seems pretty good, but I'm fairly sure Wiemer isn't a UFA. I think Jay is still signed, too. Can anyone verify this?

So, for the purposes of this topic, let's just throw the Malakhov/Mogilny thing out the window for now (since no one has a definitive idea about what's going to happen. Frankly, I am confident that they won't count).

Signed 06-07:

C-Sergei Brylin ($1.52M)

C-John Madden ($2.80M)

LW-Zach Parise ($703k)

LW-Jay Pandolfo ($836k)

LW-Jason Wiemer ($950k)

LW-Jason Ryznar ($500k)

RW-Grant Marshall ($760k)

RW-Cam Janssen ($450k)

RW-Barry Tallackson ($510k)

D-Brian Rafalski ($4.20M)

D-Richard Martvichuk ($1.38M)

D-Brad Lukowich ($1.00M)

G-Martin Brodeur ($5.20M)

G-Scott Clemmensen ($450k)

Total: $21,259,000 Million

UFA:

C-Erik Rasmussen (Current Salary: $532k) -- Resign? Maybe ($600k)

LW-Patrik Elias (Current Salary: $4.18M) -- Resign? Yes ($5.70M)

LW-Darren Langdon (Current Salary: $450k) -- Resign? No

RW-Jamie Langenbrunner (Current Salary: $1.65M) -- Resign? Yes ($1.80M)

RW-Viktor Kozlov (Current Salary: $1.75M) -- Resign? No

D-Ken Klee (Current Salary: $1.9M) -- Resign? No

D-Tommy Albelin (Current Salary: $450k) -- Resign? No

Total: $8,100,000 Million (or $7,500,000 w//o Ras)

RFA:

C-Scott Gomez (Current Salary: $2.20M) -- Resign? Yes ($3.60M) -- Could be more depending on length

RW-Brian Gionta (Current Salary: $627k) -- Resign? Yes ($2.70M)

D-Colin White (Current Salary: $1.71M) -- Resign? Yes ($2.20M)

D-David Hale (Current Salary: $502k) -- Resign? Yes ($700k)

D-Paul Martin (Current Salary: $502k) -- Resign? Yes ($700k)

Total: $9,900,000 Million

Collective Total: $39,259,000

($259,000 over for $39,000,000 Cap --- $3,741,000 under for $43,000,000 Cap)

Post your thoughts on the cap, who the Devs should cut/sign, the lines, etc!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost makes you want to cry. We're likely going to have the same team next year as this year... minus Kozlov.

Daniel Brier is an UFA and we can't afford Pascal Rheaume.

That $1M for Wiemer and that $1M for Lukowich could have been used in a 1000 better ways. :huh:

Assuming the Cap goes up, the Devils will be fine. If the Cap doesn't however, I am afraid that we will have to let some guys go.

If the above estimations are correct, lineup will look as such:

L1: Elias-Gomez-Gionta

L2: Parise-Brylin-Marshall

L3: Pandolfo-Madden-Langenbrunner

L4: Wiemer-Rasmussen-Janssen

Ex: Ryznar, Tallackson

P1: Rafalski-Mativchuk

P2: White-Martin

P3: Hale-Lukowich

Frankly, I think Brylin and the Devils will have to part ways. He's a great Devil, but he's simply not worth $1.52M, especially considering that we might be pressed against the ceiling. I'm afraid Langenbrunner might have to be cut loose unless we can sign for the same, or a less amount. He's a good defensive guy, and provides good O from the third line, but his shoes could be filled by a less expensive replacement like Ryznar or Wiemer. If we really have to pinch, Marshall might be have to be dealt in favor of someone like Tallackson or Clarkson.

If the above stipulations are met, it would open up roughly $2.5 Million to spend on a second line center or winger. Arnott (highly doubt it given current price tag), Allison, Cullen, Perreault could be some options at center. If Parise shifts to center, then it would allow for more options. Bulis, Rucinsky, Vyborny, Leclerc, Dvorak, Friesen. Parise will be a legit second liner next year, imo, so I don't think the situation is all bad. If Tallackson keeps progressing, he might be a good option as well.

L1: Elias-Gomez-Gionta

L2: Vyborny-Parise-Tallackson

L3: Pandolfo-Madden-Ryznar

L4: Wiemer-Rasmussen-Janssen

Ex: Someone, Someone

P1: Rafalski-Mativchuk

P2: White-Martin

P3: Hale-Lukowich

Ex: Someone

Gionta would want 3.5-4.4 I would gather and so would Gomez. It is going to be extremely tough signing all these guys.

The NHL should have some rule like the NBA where you can go over the cap to resign players on your own team.

I really don't think Gionta gets, nor does he ask, for that much. A $3.5 Million pay raise for Gionta is a bit much for a 20 goal improvement.

Almost makes you want to cry. We're likely going to have the same team next year as this year... minus Kozlov.

Daniel Brier is an UFA and we can't afford Pascal Rheaume.

That $1M for Wiemer and that $1M for Lukowich could have been used in a 1000 better ways. :huh:

Yeah, there will always be takers in the offseason, I imagine. They don't make so much to make them unmovable.

Edited by Voros19

I hope we are able to keep White, Martin, and Hale. Then are defense for next year would look like:

Rafalski-Mativchuk

White-Martin

Hale-Lukowich

7th defenseman for leaque minimum or close to it.

It is going to be hard to keep all of our fowards. Elias, Gomez, and Gionta are must re-signs, with Rasmussen and Langenbrunner optional depending on the market. Hopefully a guy like Tallackson or Ryznar will have a big camp and make the team next year, that would save us money, but its a risk to not sign a veteran and hope that a rookie can make it.

The following people I would just let go: Langdon, Kozlov, and Klee. Let Albelin go but keep him around the organization is some scouting aspect or something because he is the man.

With that said I would like a line up something like this:

Elias-Gomez-Gionta

FA/Tallackson-Parise-FA/Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Madden-Brylin

Janssen-Wiemer-Marshall

Rafalski-Matvichuk

White-Martin

Hale-Lukowich

Veteran FA for league minimum or close to it

Brodeur

Clemmensen

It will all come down to whether or not Tallackson or Ryznar make the team and how expensive a 2nd line free agent or two will become. Should be an interesting offseason.

Elias is not getting 5.70. If he wants that, he can certainly look elsewhere - 5.25 is as high as the Devils should go. Considering Elias will not be paying an agent, and agents demand 10%, Elias should be 7 or 8% below expected market value, which I think is around 5.5ish.

Jason Wiemer for 1m is not very good, but that extra 100K or 200K really isn't a big deal. The Devils could always waive him and I think he'd be acquired by another team. Lukowich for 1m is a near-steal, I think he's worth 1.3m. Salary cap or no salary cap, Lou will never sacrifice depth - the Devils have been a very lucky team not to have many significant injuries on the season.

You forgot Dan McGillis and Alexander Mogilny in your salary calculations. Mogilny will almost certainly retire, but McGillis could be up with the big club next year. I just can't see anyone paying him 2.2 million, so he's virtually untradable. I've never liked McGillis but I wouldn't mind giving him a second chance, considering his only time with the Devils was under Larry Robinson's disaster.

Parise is not going to move to center next year, IMO. The Devils will want him to succeed as a two way player at the left wing before moving him to the center spot.

To me the Devils' worst contract right now is on Sergei Brylin, who considering the makeup of the team just does not fit in anymore. He is a good 3rd line LW - but we have Jay Pandolfo. He's a good 4th line LW - we have Jason Wiemer and our 4th line is decidedly not an offense line anymore, unlike in past years. He is a servicable 2nd line LW - we have Zach Parise. He can play center but he is a 3rd line center and we have John Madden. At RW he's a fill-in at best. I love what Sarge does for the team and I think there's a ton of clubs who'd be happy to have him, but right now he doesn't appear to fit into the Devils' plans, and moving him could mean using that money to get a real 2nd line center.

Edited by Triumph

You forgot Dan McGillis and Alexander Mogilny in your salary calculations. Mogilny will almost certainly retire, but McGillis could be up with the big club next year. I just can't see anyone paying him 2.2 million, so he's virtually untradable. I've never liked McGillis but I wouldn't mind giving him a second chance, considering his only time with the Devils was under Larry Robinson's disaster.

I also forgot about McGillis. If he is under contract and we have to pay him, they might as well use him as the 7th defenseman rather than take on more salary.

I was under the assumption that McGillis would stay in Albany. As for Mogilny, as I said, I wasn't really concerned with that since we really don't know whats gona happen. He can very well just sit out with some hip related injury ( ;) ) and still be an Albany's roster.

I was going for sorta the worst case scenario with Elias. If he earns less than 5.7 thats great!

Edited by Voros19

Elias is not getting 5.70. If he wants that, he can certainly look elsewhere - 5.25 is as high as the Devils should go. Considering Elias will not be paying an agent, and agents demand 10%,

NHL agents get a 4% commission, not 10%

i think we can look at jokinen's 4/21 deal as a indicator for elias. i think patrik takes almost the same deal, or perhaps 4/22 for a 5.5 but i agree with trimuph that he's not getting 5.7 from the devils and i would truly be shocked if he left over the difference.

i've also been swayed to the brylin's overpriced and has no place camp. i would rather have langenbrunner than him, but if jamie leaves, i wouldn't mind keeping sarge to take his place.

as for parise, whether he's on wing or center, he will need better players around him to succeed (preferably a big player that can create space).

i think we can look at jokinen's 4/21 deal as a indicator for elias. i think patrik takes almost the same deal, or perhaps 4/22 for a 5.5 but i agree with trimuph that he's not getting 5.7 from the devils and i would truly be shocked if he left over the difference.

i've also been swayed to the brylin's overpriced and has no place camp. i would rather have langenbrunner than him, but if jamie leaves, i wouldn't mind keeping sarge to take his place.

as for parise, whether he's on wing or center, he will need better players around him to succeed (preferably a big player that can create space).

I'd take Langenbrunner over Brylin at this point. While Brylin plays all 3 forward positions, he's just not that versitaile anymore. Langenbrunner can play a scoreline or a checking line and be equally effective at both roles, plus he's doing well as the point man on our power play.

I think Grant Marshall's got to go. He's not a 2nd line player, and right now he just doesn't look to have the speed to throw enough hits. He's a -17 which is indicative of how little his line scores. Barry Tallackson could do just as well for half the price, IMO. If I were Lou, I'd look very seriously into dealing him on draft day or waiving him. Janssen is a much cheaper and better fit for the 4th line.

I'd say it may be time for Brylin AND Marshall to go. We need to fill out a 2nd line. We have our 4th line roleplayers and a top 3rd line.

Unless Langenbrunner can be exported to a scoring function on the 2nd line, I don't see what Brylin's fit is anymore, regardless of his history here. He doesn't score. He doesn't set up scoring. We have plenty of defensive-minded guys. The hole in our lineup exists solely on the 2nd line (unfortunately, at the moment, at all three positions). We need to either have prospects mature for the start of next season or make a splash in free agency.

I agree about Marshall and reluctantly agree about Brylin. We need better production from him for the price, $1.6 million, but he's pretty much done what he's always done, except he's a minus-7 instead of being a plus player. It's a tough call. He's not worth $1.6 million though. Neither is Kozlov, and that's our bigger problem.

I'm just gonna throw a couple UFA names out there:

C-Marc Chouinard: Big, good defensively, a top faceoff man, and will score 10-15 goals. Could probably be had for around 800k and I would much rather have him than Wiemer (we could probably deal Wiemer sometime in the offseason). Might be an alternative to Langs if he can't re-sign him b/c of money reasons. Chouinard was under Lemaire in Minn, so the system won't be all that foreign to him.

C-Matt Cullen: Is having a very good season for Carolina with 22 goals in 63 games. Probably won't run us too much, probably in the 1.5 area. He is good offensively and is very quick. Given that this is his first 20 goal season, though, one might wonder if he this is just a fluke (although the new nhl seems to have helped him). If we are really pressed against the Cap, he might be a risk I would be willing to take.

RW-David Vyborny: He would probably be the ideal player to snag for the second line, but he might cost a littlre more than most other wingers since he has been consistent offensively for the past three seasons and is fairly reliable.

RW-Jochan Hecht: Can play center as well, and is good offensively. Would probably run us around $2 Million. Negatives are that he is injury prone and somewhat inconsistent.

RW-Craig Adams: Adds toughness to the lineup and could be an eventual replacement for Langs on third line as he is good defensively. Could be signed for very cheap.

LW-Jeff Friesen: Worth a shot for a below 800k signing!

LW-Jan Bulis: He's not terribly gifted offensively, but he can score some goals. Is a good two-way guy, so it would make a signing more likely. He is also relatively big and is pretty strong. Wouldn't really break the bank, something around 1.3-4 would do.

D-Nolan Baumgartnter: Has had a good year and is very good on the PP and has a very hard shot. Good passer, and is adequate defensively. He'd probably cost like 900k, and it would be a risk since he's only had one good season (well, one actual season, really), but he could be very good for our PP.

Question...Does the NHL still allow front/back-loaded contracts?

I believe that's why Almo's salary might count against our cap...its something like vet players with so much experience will have their last year count against the teams cap to avoid back-loaded contracts...i could be wrong though

Question...Does the NHL still allow front/back-loaded contracts?

I believe so, but the amount is averaged over the duration of the contract against the cap.

As for your suggestions, I've got to be honest I don't really like any of them. Chouinard is not worth it - his scoring in Minnesota isn't indicative of a great deal of talent. If he's as good as you say, and he isn't, he's going for more than 800K - I expect Chouinard to get 1.2 or 1.3 from some idiot team out there.

Cullen is a fluke. Some offensive talent but the 'Canes got Doug Weight in large part because they don't trust Cullen, IMO.

I like Vyborny but to me he's too much like Zach Parise's upside. Another small centerman - I think we need someone with size on the 2nd line, even if he isn't that great a scorer.

Hecht can play center but he wouldn't for the Devils and he's had an up and down kind of career. I wouldn't mind him but I don't think he's particularly good at anything.

Craig Adams is a 4th liner. He's been on waivers this season. I don't think he can play 15 minutes a game.

Friesen is an intriguing idea but Zach Parise has that LW spot all sewn up, I think. If we could get a Friesen who can play center that would be great.

Jan Bulis is interesting. Seems to me the kind of player the Canadiens would have and that Lou would never get.

I don't know if it's you always talking up Nolan Baumgartner but other than leading the NHL in most call-ups and re-assignments over the last 8 years I don't think he's that remarkable. He is having quite a season but I can never see Lou signing this type of player. I also cannot imagine he would cost 900K getting a point every other game - some team will pay him 1.6 and regret it.

For a centerman, I'd see if Carolina were interested in dealing Josef Vasicek. He's big and he has skills - an excellent project. If he didn't work out, no big deal. I'd be willing to part with Brylin and a 1st to get it done - the Devils are absolutely desperate for size at the center ice position.

I'd consider Mike Peca and David Legwand. I don't know how much interest Peca will generate - everyone realizes he isn't the same player he was in Buffalo. Legwand has had another unremarkable season in Nashville. I'd also, as a last resort, consider Jason Allison or Eric Lindros, but Allison is not a Lou kind of player and Lindros could never, ever be a Devil. Ever.

Simply throwing ideas out there and trying to generate some conversation. :)

I agree with many of your criticisms, but I think Chouinard would be a good fit. I can't necessarily see his salary doubling since his production has actually decreased from 03-04 (at least in ppg). I think we could definitely use his size, faceoff ability, and defensive prowess, especially should Brylin/Langs find their way out (pretty likely).

Adams has shown he can be a third liner this season, imo. He is good defensively. Still, I wouldn't mind having him on our fourth since he is somewhat skilled and can hit well. Low risk since we could always demote him.

I don't think Baumer earns 1.6 simply because the market is very saturated with good defenseman. Although the benchmark was set sorta of high by Kaberle and Norstrom, I can't see a team offering 1.6. Many Vancouver faithful regard him as 5-6, still. I just think we could use his assets on a the PP (good QB, awesome shot, good passing).

Peca would be nice and would really give us some good versatility with two great defensive centers, but Marshall is out-scoring him this season. If we can get him for cheap enough, I would do it though.

And, as far as Legwand goes, I was originally gonna post him since the site said he was a UFA, but I double checked and am a little confused. Legwand is 25 and has played 6 seasons of 45+ games (assuming he doesn't go down again this season), but appeared in one game in 98-99. Does this qualify him for UFA since, technically, he has appeared in 7 seasons?

Vasicek would be good. I really don't know much about him, but he does seem like a good compliment for Parise. I'll sift for more options in way of trade.

Edited by Voros19

Tri:

Hecht can play center but he wouldn't for the Devils and he's had an up and down kind of career. I wouldn't mind him but I don't think he's particularly good at anything.

Hecht is underrated. Ask Clown about how vital he's been to the Sabres turnaround.

Edited by Derek21

good call on Vasicek, Triumph. not sure the canes would part with him and i'm not sure that lou would deal a 1st for him.

i don't like either Allison or Lindros for the same reasons you listed. lindros is a no chance type of thing. allison would cost too much with the devils needing to sign their own guys. if we're looking at the leafs, i think i'd rather antropov as a better fit.

Well, only one thing is for certain, this summer will be painful for devils fans as we are sure to see many long time favorites end up moving along. Fact is, you can't have a roster full of 1 to 2 mil a year players so any number of the following are not likely to take the ice in red and black come september:

Rasmussen

Marshal

Weimer (why do we need 3 of the same player)

Brylin

Pando

Langenbrunner (see above question)

Klee and lukowich (neither of these two has done anything to impress anyone)

Kozlov (don't shoot, don't get invited back)

Langdon (why is he still here?)

Albeline (thanks for your years of service, here is your gold watch)

Clemenson (too much to pay a guy who plays less games than he has fingers - get one of those wooden cut-outs to take his place)

Matvichuck (i think it will be a choice of him or white, not both)

Talackson (although youth/low payroll makes it likely he'll be here)

Janson (same as talackson)

About the only people I would be shocked NOT to see are:

Marty

Elias

Gomer

Gionta

Parise

Raffalski

White

Martin

Hale (only cause he's still young and cheap)

madden

Fact is, we're stacked with mid-level players at mid-level salaries. Some of them have to go to make room for young and cheap players. I'd say any player over 28 who is not "top line" quality is going to be a year by year decision. Lou will be trading some of our long time favorites for draft picks and prospects. Expect guys like Ryznar and Vrana and Bergfors to make the jump to the pro's a year or two earlier than the devils typically would allow - our 2nd and 4th lines will be predominantly rookies next season (assuming line 1 is egg and line 3 is maddog checking line with whoever low keeps around for him)

Actually, wouldn't surprise me if white gets moved too - payroll creeping up, definately has value in the market - could get us a high draft pick or good prospect.

And none of this addresses the Malakhov/Mogilny/McGillis payroll issues.

Big changes coming people.

Well, only one thing is for certain, this summer will be painful for devils fans as we are sure to see many long time favorites end up moving along. Fact is, you can't have a roster full of 1 to 2 mil a year players so any number of the following are not likely to take the ice in red and black come september:

Rasmussen

Marshal

Weimer (why do we need 3 of the same player)

Brylin

Pando

Langenbrunner (see above question)

Klee and lukowich (neither of these two has done anything to impress anyone)

Kozlov (don't shoot, don't get invited back)

Langdon (why is he still here?)

Albeline (thanks for your years of service, here is your gold watch)

Clemenson (too much to pay a guy who plays less games than he has fingers - get one of those wooden cut-outs to take his place)

Matvichuck (i think it will be a choice of him or white, not both)

Talackson (although youth/low payroll makes it likely he'll be here)

Janson (same as talackson)

About the only people I would be shocked NOT to see are:

Marty

Elias

Gomer

Gionta

Parise

Raffalski

White

Martin

Hale (only cause he's still young and cheap)

madden

Fact is, we're stacked with mid-level players at mid-level salaries. Some of them have to go to make room for young and cheap players. I'd say any player over 28 who is not "top line" quality is going to be a year by year decision. Lou will be trading some of our long time favorites for draft picks and prospects. Expect guys like Ryznar and Vrana and Bergfors to make the jump to the pro's a year or two earlier than the devils typically would allow - our 2nd and 4th lines will be predominantly rookies next season (assuming line 1 is egg and line 3 is maddog checking line with whoever low keeps around for him)

Actually, wouldn't surprise me if white gets moved too - payroll creeping up, definately has value in the market - could get us a high draft pick or good prospect.

And none of this addresses the Malakhov/Mogilny/McGillis payroll issues.

Big changes coming people.

You might be able to find a taker for McGillis at $2.2 million for next year. If BOTH Mogilny and Malakhov have to be bought out, it would be about a $2.4 million cap hit each year for the next two years.