ELIAS ENVISIONS DEVIL OF CHOICE

Rock

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/66125.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

May 17, 2006 -- Patrik Elias yesterday revealed that negotiations with Devils president Lou Lamoriello were "not really" close to keeping him from entering the unrestricted-free-agent market. The 30-year-old center also told The Post that "winning is No. 1" in deciding where he'll play next season.

"That's the main thing. You don't want to be on a team that's going through rough times," said Elias, whose return from hepatitis keyed the Devils' turnaround for a 39-18-4 record in 2006. "There are a lot of good hockey towns, and a lot of organizations that are successful.

"And this one [New Jersey] is on top."

Elias is eligible to become unrestricted in July, and said he'll hire an agent in the immediate future to handle his negotiations, first with the Devils and, if still unsigned by July 1, with other suitors.

"This is an exciting time for me. It's a good chance for me to see what my number is, what I'm worth and what other teams might be interested," Elias said as he joined his teammates for their team photo at the Meadowlands before parting for the summer.

Lamoriello said he would do all he can to re-sign Elias and Jamie Langenbrunner, another upcoming unrestricted. Elias made it clear that while his talks with Lamoriello did not come close to generating an agreement, there was no insult or difficulty in them.

"This organization gave me a lot of good things, positive things. I owe something to this organization," Elias said.

Elias made $4.18 million last season but could double that salary, depending on the salary cap and how many bidders there are for the 10-year Devil, whose reign as five-time team scoring leader was halted this season after he contracted hepatitis while playing in Russia during the 2004-05 lockout.

Elias added that in addition to team competitiveness and salary, the coach also would factor into his decision.

"You don't want to come to work and not be happy with your bosses," Elias said.

Langenbrunner said remaining in New Jersey "would be my first choice," discounting speculation that he might jump to Florida to join buddy Joe Nieuwendyk. Ken Klee, scratched from the last two playoff games, is another upcoming unrestricted free agent, as is Viktor Kozlov, who saw limited duty.

Lamoriello again promised he won't be the coach next season, and said, "We certainly have to strengthen our blue line and find ourselves a certain type of center." . . . Grant Marshall said he suffered a separated right shoulder in Game 3 vs. the Hurricanes . . . Lamoriello said the AHL approved the Devils' purchase of the Lowell, Mass., franchise, which would be the organization's top farm team.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/devils/66125.htm

By MARK (N)Єverson

May 17, 2006 -- Patrik Elias yesterday revealed that negotiations with Devils president Lou Lamoriello were "not really" close to keeping him from entering the unrestricted-free-agent market.

Elias says a lot of good things here but this desturbs me. Lou better not be the reason Elias leaves. :angry:

Well this is (N)Єverson so the "not really" is probably taken completely out of context. I think we will see Elias back next season. Especially if he want to win. I think he understands that he can't just go for whoever throws the most money at him. I think we will see him back for about 6 mil a season.

And oh yeah... with the C.

"Lamoriello again promised he won't be the coach next season, and said, "We certainly have to strengthen our blue line and find ourselves a certain type of center." "

Well that sums it all up. Good to see Lou knows what we really need. I hope he gets the job done here.

"Lamoriello again promised he won't be the coach next season, and said, "We certainly have to strengthen our blue line and find ourselves a certain type of center." "

Well that sums it all up. Good to see Lou knows what we really need. I hope he gets the job done here.

I said Lou had a tough offseason last year, never said he was clueless. 2nd Line center is a crying need for this team, and to see Lou address it like that in a statement, tells me hes going to address it and quickly if possible.

Yuck - no Nedved, please. He's finished.

Once again I come around to the fact that Jason Arnott would be perfect if only, if only..

Jan Bulis is a possibility but he has never established that he can be a consistent offensive presence.

Again I return to Jason Allison - I still think he's a possibility.

The only way Nedved ends up on the Devils is if his girlfriend/wife gets a full time part on the Sopranos and he wants to play close to her... AND he agrees to play for free.

Lou wouldn't pass up Nedved for free... I don't think.

OPEN SEASON: Patrik Elias could soon become an unrestricted free agent, but the veteran center yesterday said that winning will be his top priority as he considers where to suit up next season.

Photo: AP

This is the caption under his pic...

maccabe is a defensemen, so i don't think he addresses your second line center concern.

who's out there? nedved and savard come to mind.

What, you mean Colin Campbell's "flock on interchangeable forwards" can't be "flock of interchangeable forwards and defensemen"? :P

You mean we can't make McCabe into a 2nd-line center with massive infusions of Kool-Aid???? :evil:

There is some limit to the power of the Kool-Aid???? :blink:

Arnott has that tempting combo of skating ability and size, although hes not as quick anymore. Problem is, I think hes going to go for a ton of money elsewhere.

I think the Devils and Lou have liked Savard, but again the question is cash. If the Devils have enough to spend, Id go for Savard, but if not Id take Allison.

McCabe is staying in Toronto. "Probably"

"OPEN SEASON: Patrik Elias could soon become an unrestricted free agent, but the veteran center yesterday said that winning will be his top priority as he considers where to suit up next season.

Photo: AP"

This is the caption under his pic...

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for us?

Really, this whole pushing for the maximum cash you can get really stinks. On one hand you have Marty taking below market so that the Devils can keep their guys, and on the other hand we have Elias pushing for the max he can get his grubbing paws on. He's taking Marty's money. He's saying "fvck the Devils - give me money!!!". This whole pushing the UFA has really made me question whether he should be wearing the C or not.

Sure he has the *RIGHT* to get the maximum salary he can find. But he must understand that the more he makes, the weaker the rest of the team is going to be. Brodeur understood that. On the other hand, Elias seems bent on breaking the team.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing for us?

Really, this whole pushing for the maximum cash you can get really stinks. On one hand you have Marty taking below market so that the Devils can keep their guys, and on the other hand we have Elias pushing for the max he can get his grubbing paws on. He's taking Marty's money. He's saying "fvck the Devils - give me money!!!". This whole pushing the UFA has really made me question whether he should be wearing the C or not.

Sure he has the *RIGHT* to get the maximum salary he can find. But he must understand that the more he makes, the weaker the rest of the team is going to be. Brodeur understood that. On the other hand, Elias seems bent on breaking the team.

Ummm...we haven't actually heard that he is going for the maximum. What we seem to hear is (despite some convoluted things):

He wants to have an agent handle things because he doesn't want to do it himself for several reasons. Including the fact that he has no intention of staying in the country and dealing with it. He's going off to enjoy life. He doesn't want to do it himslef. Some people don't.

Although one article says they have done some negotioations and haven't been close, I don't see how, since he doesn't want to do it himslef and he doesn't have an agent. I think it's more likely that Lou tried to talk and Patrik said wait until I get an agent.

Nowhere does it actually say he is going for a maximum contract or even looking for the highest offer. What it seems to be is that he has some kind of figure in mind. That's fair enough. Stevens did as well. Remember his last contract with Lou? It wasn't even a negotiation. He went in and said I want the same contract that McInnis has and Lou gave it to him.

What he said is he isn't going to take a below-value contract to stay. But what is below value? What does he think his value is? Who says it is the maximum? He could think it is 6.5M-7M. In a world where the Cap might be $43-46M, a maximum contract could be $8.6M to $9.2M. Who says he's asking for that?

Ummm...we haven't actually heard that he is going for the maximum. What we seem to hear is (despite some convoluted things):

He wants to have an agent handle things because he doesn't want to do it himself for several reasons. Including the fact that he has no intention of staying in the country and dealing with it. He's going off to enjoy life. He doesn't want to do it himslef. Some people don't.

Although one article says they have done some negotioations and haven't been close, I don't see how, since he doesn't want to do it himslef and he doesn't have an agent. I think it's more likely that Lou tried to talk and Patrik said wait until I get an agent.

Nowhere does it actually say he is going for a maximum contract or even looking for the highest offer. What it seems to be is that he has some kind of figure in mind. That's fair enough. Stevens did as well. Remember his last contract with Lou? It wasn't even a negotiation. He went in and said I want the same contract that McInnis has and Lou gave it to him.

What he said is he isn't going to take a below-value contract to stay. But what is below value? What does he think his value is? Who says it is the maximum? He could think it is 6.5M-7M. In a world where the Cap might be $43-46M, a maximum contract could be $8.6M to $9.2M. Who says he's asking for that?

Great post....i...........*wait for it*.......................................agree with Sue :D

This whole thing has gotten me sick to my stomach. I can't even fathom where this team would be without Elias. Just look at the turn around this year he orchestrated. It also questions my feelings for him now that he's testing the waters. I know he's entitled, but loyalty is a big thing with me. We all had to go through this with Nieder and now it's Elias. I'll be heartbroken if he leaves.

I didn't mean the maximum salary as defined by the CBA, I meant the maximum salary he can find on the open market. As opposed to Marty who took a big chunk of cash, but also signed for lower than market to keep the team competitive.

It sounds to me like he is going to take full advantage of this opportunity, to the disadvantage of the Devils.

I didn't mean the maximum salary as defined by the CBA, I meant the maximum salary he can find on the open market. As opposed to Marty who took a big chunk of cash, but also signed for lower than market to keep the team competitive.

It sounds to me like he is going to take full advantage of this opportunity, to the disadvantage of the Devils.

Gee, he's trying to do what he thinks is best for him...it may not be best for his current employer...and this is awful exactly why???

It's not like this is going to fall apart over $250K.

Its more likely to fall apart over $4-6 million dollars over the life of a contract. And if that matters, that matters and that's life. It WAS about money and Patrick (and Lou) can't say anything different.

Brodeur signed for lower than market because he got more years that way. The Devils would've never given him 6 years at his market price because they're pretty sure he won't be worth that in 6 years. So Brodeur is passing up money now for money later - he doesn't want to be 38 and having to go UFA and possibly find a new team. It's in both parties' self-interest to sign a deal like this.

Whereas with Elias, that is not a concern because he's only 30. Under the rules of the CBA, Lou stiffed him and he signed a 1.8 million dollar deal over 3 years during which he produced 100+ goals. It's Elias's turn to get paid. That's not to say he will follow the money absolutely, but he's not going to give New Jersey any sort of discount because he doesn't have to.

He's already stated that he's not taking advantage of it although he does see it as an advantage....I don't think there is anything wrong with being curious about what you are worth...he's been in the organization his whole career....he was lowballed for a good portion of the beginning and then finally had to had two great seasons before he was considered for a raise...you can't fault the guy for being interested in what he might actually be worth..he's also stated that if the Devils offer him the right offer before July 1st then he'll take it...so that right there says he's not looking to take the big payoff just what he thinks is fair....you have to realize not everyone can take the Marty discount and it doesn't make them a bad guy....Stevens never did and no one has a problem with that...besides if we end up picking up Elias at 5.5 to 6.5 mil and you know someone else is willing to pay 6.75 to 7.5 mil then he still technically gave us a discount...besides you also have to think of the reasoning behind Marty taking a pay cut and if you think that it was soley because he's a good guy then you are niave....there could have been a number of reasons....including realizing that he is no longer with his wife...he's the one to fault for that and thus can't risk moving halfway across the country or it could compromise the time he gets with his kids....seriously the conversation could have easily been like this...

Marty: ok i'm looking at about 6.5 - 7 mil Lou what do you think?

Lou: well to stay competitive we need to lower that number how about 6.25?

Marty: well then I want to ensure I'm here for the rest of my career so how about for 6 years?

Lou: well that puts me in a bad position if you slack off toward the end of your career...lets make it 6 years but we'll drop the figure down to 6 mil a year.

Marty: I can deal with that but then I want to make sure there's no way I can get booted. I want a no trade claus.

Lou: ok we can do that to but again that puts me in a bad position if something happens...lets drop that figure down to 5.75 and I'll buy you a pizza...

Marty: Sounds good Louie, where do i sign?

:D

seriously though what if Elias isn't interested in a no trade clause or doesn't care if the contract is for 3-5 years (which I'm sure it will be within that span)? Any number of things that us as ordinary fans don't realize or think about could factor into the outcome of a contract signing...besides Elias has countlessly (is that a word) said that winning is the most important thing...he knows he can't do it himself and he sees what we need to make the team better (obviously because we didn't win the Cup) so he's not going to be stupid....Mitico pointed it out on another thread...I'm sure alot of it is just rhetoric....you can't say I want to stay here no matter what or your going to get a sh!t deal period....if/when (and i'm confident he will) sign we will see that it was at a fair price for both him and the organization.....but we won't know until it's said and done....

EDIT: I agree with the two above posts...you guys are just faster than me (nature called halfway through me writing my post :D)

Edited by UnderDogX

..he's also stated that if the Devils offer him the right offer before July 1st then he'll take it...

i have NEVER read or heard this, even by reading between the lines. he has said that he will go past July 1 to see what he's worth. that's not to say that he might go back on that and is just trying to use the possibility of UFA to get Lou to come with a high number, but I would be SHOCKED if he is signed before 7/1.

i have NEVER read or heard this, even by reading between the lines. he has said that he will go past July 1 to see what he's worth. that's not to say that he might go back on that and is just trying to use the possibility of UFA to get Lou to come with a high number, but I would be SHOCKED if he is signed before 7/1.

In this article he says it gives him an opportunity to see what he's worth...but it might not get that far....

-------------------------------------------------------

Elias Wants to Remain a Devil (I posted this in it's own thread but it's a positive outlook in the situation and thus has been buried)

"This is a good chance for me to see what my number is, what I'm worth and who the other teams are that might be interested in me," he said. "That doesn't mean that we'll get to that point, though."

And here's another article that extends the whole "take advantage of it" comment....

Elias, Devil's Priority, to Test the Market

"I'm pretty sure there are going to be talks (before July 1)," he said. "If (the deal) is right, I want to stay. It's just that I'm in a situation I can maybe take advantage of. That doesn't mean I am going to take advantage of it. This organization gave me a chance. I owe something to this organization."

Both of those statements lead me to believe that if the deal is right with the Devils offer then he'll take it regardless of if it is before or after July 1st....just make sure you real all of that "take advantage of it" quote....most people seem to hone in on the "...It's just that I'm in a situation I can maybe take advantage of." part and forget about the rest....