Marty's Book Signing

britoon

Well, this isn't old news to me. I hadn't heard anything about a book signing and was wondering if he was going to have one. So, thanks for posting! I'm hoping to make it to this one.

No problem,

Just trying to keep up-to-date on all things Devils.

-britoon

I'll definetly have the book....hopefully he does a few more signings in jersey, I go to rutgers and have classes during the week and I doubt i'll be able to make it at 7:00 on a monday night in paramus :(

I know how you feel. I am living in Georgia so I definitely won’t be making the trip. I’ll probably have to bribe a relative to go in my place!

Edited by britoon

• 3 weeks later...

Book signing is cancelled. I just got this email:

Dear Barnes & Noble Customer:

Please be advised that the signing which was scheduled for Monday October 30th, with New Jersey Devil's goalie Martin Brodeur, has been cancelled. There is a possibility that this event will be re-scheduled. Watch for future details. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Linda Galgano, Community Relations Manager

Barnes & Noble Booksellers

765 Route 17 South

Paramus, NJ 07652

201-445-4589

201-445-5950 Voice Mail

201-447-5668 Fax

Edited by Rock

Book signing is cancelled. I just got this email:

Dear Barnes & Noble Customer:

Please be advised that the signing which was scheduled for Monday October 30th, with New Jersey Devil's goalie Martin Brodeur, has been cancelled. There is a possibility that this event will be re-scheduled. Watch for future details. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Linda Galgano, Community Relations Manager

Barnes & Noble Booksellers

765 Route 17 South

Paramus, NJ 07652

201-445-4589

201-445-5950 Voice Mail

201-447-5668 Fax

Oh well, hopefully it'll be rescheduled to a time when I will be in the area.

I was wondering how they were gonna work that with all the games anyway.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, that's what the ad said. Only books that are bought out of that bookstore get signed. Which is too bad since I and I'm sure a lot of others already have the book.

That's ridiculous. I still had to pay for the book even if I didn't but it there, so why does it matter?

By the way, the anger is not directed at you Hasan, it's directed at whoever created that dumb idea.

Edited by devils26

I, with my two daughters and my youngest son, went to the Mendham book signing. I thought we weren't going to make it, there was detour that didn't tell you how you were being detoured. :argh: But I made the right moves and we made it.

Marty looked fabulous! I even told him we went to his restaurant and that made him very happy. Big smile, his eyes lit up. When I asked him, "Didn't the waiter tell you we were there?" Even a bigger smile and he laughed and shook his head. My oldest daughter was smiling as big as he was. She was so thrilled, it was worth the price of admission just to see her so happy. :evil:

I also met Hasan, well sort of. ;) I was yakking away on line like I always do and said things like I'm from Bergen County, went to Marty's restaurant, even had the pic of my kids at the restaurant that was posted on the board. He asked me about the restaurant and looked at the pic, but didn't ask me if I was Liz from NJdevs. Well I can't blame him really, I did tell him I couldn't make the signing. So we met, only I didn't know it at all, and he sort of did. :P

Yeah I think a lot of us in line had problems with detours no matter where we were coming from. I was like geez, this route was supposed to be easy now I'm gonna get lost :rolleyes: But I somehow wound up back on the right side of 24 and got there with time to spare.

Of course I got sorta screwed with the whole book thing, I could have gotten away with bringing mine instead of having to buy one there, oh well. At least I can read the one I already have and keep the other one in mint condition. But the ad said 'only books bought there' and had a picture of the book with Marty in a Team Canada jersey - I had the Devils cover - so I thought it'd be different, but they were selling the Devils covers there as it turned out :P

It was pretty good in general, I had to stand outside in the cold for about an hour - got there at 3:30 for the scheduled 4 PM signing, I guess Marty himself was late cause of the detours and lack of parking :lol: There were a few hundred people there - some waiting in line as early as 2 PM I think - but the line got going pretty quick since they only let you get books signed, too bad since I was half-hoping to get my jersey signed and a lot of other people brought stuff there too but I didn't expect anything else other than the book anyway. Marty was his usual amiable self, you weren't supposed to be able to pose for pictures with him (you could take pictures of him though) but I think he let the cute brown-haired girl behind me in line get one picture :rofl:

And as I said off board, it was definitely nice to sorta meet you there too Liz :evil: I'm glad you and the kids got a chance to go.

Edited by Hasan4978

I went to the signing yesterday and didn't really think it was anything special. Yeah, that detour really sucked, and we hardly knew where we were going (I have a lot of family in Mendham, no less), but oh well. Left at 2pm, got there a little before 2:30 and had a really good spot on the line. We ended up right next to the back entrance where Marty came into the building, so that was cool...but that was pretty much about it on the coolness-factor. I dunno if things got better as they progressed or what, but for the people who were first on line (aka those who got to wait inside the store), it kinda sucked. They couldn't find any markers for him, didn't really make it all that clear that the books wouldn't be personalized or could we take pictures with him, etc etc.

The signing started at like 4.15-4.20, Marty was kinda late...but we got out of there before 4.30 -- it went that quick. I didn't even get to see him SIGN the book because his entourage was standing all around him, blocking me. Kind of really annoying.

I didn't expect all that much, but it was cool to get the book signed. Really sloppy organization of the event though...

Ah, I was wondering if you went. Yeah someone did tell us outside that he wasn't signing anything else or personalizing anything. They also said his signature had to be on that specific page but I know for a fact that he signed one of his pictures on another page for someone else when I was looking inside from the window, so I guess the rules were a bit more flexible in certain situations :P

They didn't make the dual lines clear enough (one line for buying the book, one line for the signing itself). I lost 10-15 minutes figuring out the difference, a couple of people confused me on that. Kinda tough for a small bookstore to accomodate a few hundred people I guess.

I guess they loosened up a little when fewer people were around since I did get a couple of relatively clear pictures of him after the fact with my stupid cell camera, sorry you didn't get any at all.

I haven't been to a lot of signings in general myself, actually the only signing I remember going to (besides the ones at the draft party this year) was a baseball card show like when I was 9 or 10.

Edited by Hasan4978

I've been to a few Devils signings over the years (Elias/Friesen/Stevens signings at Sports Express, Madden at a bank, Brodeur in SI in '94 etc etc), and they were all run very well compared to this one. The only one that probably went WORSE than this signing was a Claude Lemieux signing I went to in '95. Devils had just won the Cup and Lemieux was at the Menlo Park Mall with the Conn Smythe and the Stanley Cup doing a signing, I think promoing a new JC Penny or something. Anyways, they gave NO information to those of us standing on line, and after waiting more than a few hours in the summer heat, a lot of us started getting really pissed off...with good reason. Low and behold, Lemieux had left hours ago and no one informed people in the middle-to-the-back of the line. To say I was upset is an understatement...

Edited by RD