GDT: Devils @ Anaheim, 11/24, 4:00 PM EDT

Devilsdude530

Game over.

0 Wins 2 Loses in our road trip so far.

It would be nice to have Burns' right now, he would have killed his players after these 2 consecutive poor performances.

The Devils played pretty well today...of course I know whenever they lose they played "crappy" on the board.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The effort was there, especially at the end. They came within a whisker of tying it but things didn't break our way.

Anaheim is just better than us, faster than us. We're still getting zilch from lines 3 and 4. But at least Elias and Gionta tallied.

The Devils played pretty well today...of course I know whenever they lose they played "crappy" on the board.

Outshot 40-25, gave up essentially 2 short handed goals (one was 2 seconds after the penalty expired), virtually no power play.

Yeah, they played well. :noclue:

Edited by Z-Man

I, for one, didn't think they played particularly well. I don't see how anyone can look at a 1 for 6 on the PP and effectively 2 short handed goals and tell me that they played particularly well. And despite 6 power plays they only had 25 shots, not many of them any good. Again, we had more than double the number of missed shots as our opponent. And Scott Niedermayer blocked more shots than our whole defence corp.

I get the impression that our D know that they completely and utterly suck offensively and they are trying too hard, taking really, really boneheaded chances. I got a chuckle from Brian Hayward when he said that maybe Lukowich shooting the puck at the Devils net was him just tying to get the feel of putting the puck in the net.

The Devils get some bounces going their way today and they could have won the game 4 or 5 to 1.

I want some of what 731 is smoking.

I guess ANA played really crappy then to only basically win the game by 1 against a team with horrible defenseman that gave up 2 shorthanded goals. It's a wonder ANA ever wins.

I didn't say that Brodeur played completely horrible. But you are right. We are a good enough team lose by only two goals. Hurray!!

Edited by Don

ANA didn't have a bunch of great chances they didn't score on. They scored on most of their good opportunities and got one that probably should have been stopped.

I didn't say that Brodeur played completely horrible. But you are right. We are a good enough team lose by only two goals. Hurray!!

The Devils effectively lost by 1 to a team that has only lost twice in regulation and has the most points in the NHL. Ya, they played so horrible that they got blown out by a goal. :rolleyes: ANA made 1 more play than the Devils did, it easily could have flipped over the other way and then people would be talking about what a big win it was and how well they played to beat maybe the best team, blah blah blah. You can almost always tell what the reaction will be by the scoreboard and not by the actual play.

Edited by Devils731

ANA didn't have a bunch of great chances they didn't score on. They scored on most of their good opportunities and got one that probably should have been stopped.

The Devils effectively lost by 1 to a team that has only lost twice in regulation and has the most points in the NHL. Ya, they played so horrible that they got blown out by a goal. :rolleyes: ANA made 1 more play than the Devils did, it easily could have flipped over the other way and then people would be talking about what a big win it was and how well they played to beat maybe the best team, blah blah blah. You can almost always tell what the reaction will be by the scoreboard and not by the actual play.

If I didn't know better I'd swear Don was Scott Stevens, 731 was Jeff Friesen and we're in 2002 after the Detroit game when Stevens was throwing skates at Friesen after he (and others) were saying it was good enough after the Devils lost a tough game in Detroit.

Losing in Anaheim while an okay performance certainly wasn't acceptable coming off the dreadful loss in Phoenix. And the team wasn't that great, take out the last five minutes and what were the shots on goal?

BTW I'm not one of these people that kills Julien every game and demands he ream the team after every loss, but has he reamed the team even ONCE this season? After 20+ games? I'm not asking him to crack the whip every game but at least show the team you have a whip. I thought he was supposed to be more of a disciplinarian? At this rate he looks like Tom Coughlin with an overrated reputation for being tough.

Edited by Hasan4978

Should we start clemmy tommorow? or let marty keep on playing?

They should cut some travel and just skip tomorrow's game. Julien can take the team to Disneyland and get them ice cream and balloons, then take them out golfing again, then have a friendly chat about their vacation plans for mid-April.

</rant>

This has to be the least excited I've been about the Devils in a long long while. Every year seems like there's something to overcome or something to be excited about and this year there wasn't....or at least isn't anymore. I don't think this team could get more vanilla....We can only go as far as the players take us and if we continue the path of just fighting to keep the team the same it will end up like it did last year, a dissapointing loss in the playoffs....something needs to be done to kick start this team....too many flashes of potential and not enough execution to me....but that's my two cents.....

Claude Julien is quickly becoming to me what Bill Parcells is to Crasher....

They should cut some travel and just skip tomorrow's game. Julien can take the team to Disneyland and get them ice cream and balloons, then take them out golfing again, then have a friendly chat about their vacation plans for mid-April.

</rant>

And then Julien can convince Lou to sign Paul Martin to a 20-year Max salary per year contract and get the team together for the press conference where the contract is announced so they can yell "Na Na Na, Na Na Na! Take THAT, Islanders!" :hah:

:P

This team needs attitude, it needs swagger, it needs....Claude Lemieux!

Far too often they seem bored and unmotivated. It doesn't seem like they're playing for anything, rather just going through the motions.

Also, this team needs an offensive defenseman, because it doesn't look like Oduya and Martin are going to be putting up any points this year. We get zilch from the backline and zilch from lines 3 and 4.

Edited by '7'

Oh yeah "da Niderpronger" line was sucessfull tonight :D WTG Boyz!

I don't think throwing Martin under the bus is the way to go but SOMETHING's gotta change. The choice for Rupp on the PP still surprises me everytime i see it and its the Wrong Choice. And please, for the love of all things hockey, even Larry Robinson, one of the nicest guys in hockey who LOVES this org, has publicly chewed this team out when they played like utter crap, and Julien doesn't say a goddammed word!

Marty is the best there is but we have to generate some offense because it's unlikely he's going to score another goal anytime soon and what with the Zajac line starting to do good things and with Gomez back you would THINK they could pull something out, even against Traitormeyer and Pronger. But do they even get the chance? No, they shuffle the lines instead??

I am not even addressing the PHX game b/c i am pretending it didn't happen.

Any word on Janssen?

----------

Nevermind, found my answer:

Devils right wing Cam Janssen got into a fight with George Parros on his second shift and missed the rest of the game with an injured right shoulder that was placed in a sling.

"They took X-rays and everything was fine," Janssen said. "It really doesn't hurt right now. During the fight it did, but when they popped it back in it felt great. I mean, I look like a fool with this sling on. I'll probably have to go back to Jersey and get an MRI, so I'm just going to have to suck it up and then I'll be back."

Sounds like he'll be out at least a few games, definitely done for the road trip I'd imagine. Hopefully there's no structural damage, which is always a possibility with shoulder injuries. :ph34r:

Edited by RD

Forget swagger, this team needs to forget the defence-first philosophy. Scoring two goals a game won't cut it anymore, especially with a mediocre defence. The top two teams in the league right now are the two top teams in goals for...last year all the conference finalists were in the top half of goals for. The third/fourth lines can't score to save their jobs, and the defence has ONE!!! (1!) goal at the quarter-point of the season. If the team decides to keep Madden instead of paying up for Gomez in the summer we should all accept that this team is not competing for anything significant any time soon.