GDT 12/17/06: DEVILS @ RANGERS 7PM ET

NYGDevils32

Well, I certainly wasn't surprised. Being Nylander and Cullen were out and they idiotically dressed 7 D, I knew there was no chance. It's too bad the Rangers played so undisciplined because before the penalties, they were playing fine. But they couldn't get out of their own way and ultimately paid for it. It would've been nice if the officials had taken away Langenbrunner's goal. Someone tackled a Ranger to the ice about 10 seconds before that. Maybe it might've changed things. But it didn't matter much considering Prucha got that goal right back. This game was lost by Tyutin's idiotic penalty and Ward's moronic play. Basically handing Brylin a goal. Great play there. I think we left after the second Brylin goal.

Hall fell over Langenbrunner's stick was he going to cover the point. No way was that a penalty. If you're gonna cry about penalties take a look at the roughing call against Parise at the end of the second period. That was 2 minutes for touching.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were up 2 goals going into the third last time playing the Rangers and up 2 goals again tonight.

The difference was this time the team kept attacking, kept forechecking, kept the pressure on and it paid off. That third period was pretty dominant.

That was definitely a fun game to watch.

Hall fell over Langenbrunner's stick was he going to cover the point. No way was that a penalty. If you're gonna cry about penalties take a look at the roughing call against Parise at the end of the second period. That was 2 minutes for touching.

So good you posted it twice. :doh1: From where I sat, it looked like he was tackled. I didn't have the benefit of a replay. So I'll just take your word for it.

I didn't see the Parise play. Had already vacated for ice cream. :D

So good you posted it twice. :doh1: From where I sat, it looked like he was tackled. I didn't have the benefit of a replay. So I'll just take your word for it.

I didn't see the Parise play. Had already vacated for ice cream. :D

I'm still getting used to my mac. The penalty again Parise is really demonstrating one of my chief problems with the 'new NHL.' Him and Kaspar were giving each other little love taps on the way back to the bench, Kaspar gave Zach a little shove and Parise gave a little shove back and Zach got 2 mins for roughing. A pretty soft call in my eyes. When you call petty things like that away from the puck you really take away the fire and intensity from the game.

I'm still getting used to my mac. The penalty again Parise is really demonstrating one of my chief problems with the 'new NHL.' Him and Kaspar were giving each other little love taps on the way back to the bench, Kaspar gave Zach a little shove and Parise gave a little shove back and Zach got 2 mins for roughing. A pretty soft call in my eyes. When you call petty things like that away from the puck you really take away the fire and intensity from the game.

Well, in general that's what this new Bettman NHL is. A bunch of soft calls which usually decide games unless you got a superior PK. The call to Jagr was soft but right. He gave a Devil a tug. That's all it took. Fans around my section bitched. Why? The call to Straka was soft but he did hook just enough to get caught. And again the protests took place. Why?

It's not even worth the aggravation anymore. The NHL is so predictable it's sad. Who can honestly say that winning a Cup in this new wussy sport is as great as before? I can't. They have turned it into figure skating.

Rangers swallow...i had to..i'm sorry.....I'm not sure why....

Well, in general that's what this new Bettman NHL is. A bunch of soft calls which usually decide games unless you got a superior PK. The call to Jagr was soft but right. He gave a Devil a tug. That's all it took. Fans around my section bitched. Why? The call to Straka was soft but he did hook just enough to get caught. And again the protests took place. Why?

It's not even worth the aggravation anymore. The NHL is so predictable it's sad. Who can honestly say that winning a Cup in this new wussy sport is as great as before? I can't. They have turned it into figure skating.

Right - you mean the refeereing you asked for time and time again in 2003 and 2004? And now that the NHL has given it to you, you bitch?

It's just unreal how hypocritical some of the posters are here. All before the lockout I heard the calls to reform the game - 'it's a joke how clutch and grab the games are' - and now that they've finally done something about it, there's a huge problem.

Jagr knows that tugging on Madden is a penalty - he KNOWS and he does it anyway.

The NHL should get more lenient on these calls as the season goes on - and this game was certainly over-refereed. But this was what you asked for - refs aren't perfect, they're human and these are the best guys we've got. I think it is a little ridiculous, but I'm so glad they abandoned the old system of 'you get one, now the other team gets one.. okay i let that one go, so i'm letting one go for the other team' - that system was BS.

You're correct. I was in favor of it as I have stated in previous threads. Little did I realize how overofficiated these games would become. So if you want to call me on it, you have every right to. As I have discovered, I am not thrilled with what's gone on.

Regarding your final comment. I tend to disagree. Sometimes, a team will get 2 or 3 in a row and you know the other team is going to get it back usually. And in many games, this still tends to happen.

My biggest gripe with the game now is they'll call any tug (real or imagined) but don't always penalize the cheap hits. I've seen guys boarded and nothing. Maybe there needs to be an adjustment.

Another NHL fact was made redundant yesterday:

Darius Kasparitus is a bitch.

Jagr knows that tugging on Madden is a penalty - he KNOWS and he does it anyway.

Tri hits the biggest problem on the head. The players KNOW this is illegal, but they do it anyway. Stop cheating! The refs are calling it as instructed -- some call it tighter than others, but thank gawd the days of clutch-n-grab are behind us. That's why guys like Gionta, Jagr and Shanahan are able to go on the streaks that they've been on -- talent is no longer smothered by the talentless (at least not as much).

Derek, from a Ranger fan perspective, how does it feel hearing the 'lets go devils' chant throughtout the whole game in ur own arena?

It doesn't bother me because the fans who did it only did so when their team was comfortably in front. Where was that support when it was a closer game?