• Gionta
    • Gomez
    • Langenbrunner
    • Madden
    • Niedermayer
    • Nieuwendyk
    • Rupp
    • Tverdovsky

Ok...it's late 3rd period, tie score and you get to pick the Devil who gets a breakaway chance to score. Who do you pick?

Ok here's my top 10:

1. Langenbrunner (our only real sniper)

2. Friesen (fast and does know what to do with the puck)

3. Madden (so many pretty one on nones...but does miss a bit too much to be #1...mostly cause he's at the end of a shift)

4. Newy (you don't score 500 goals cuase you can't do this)

5. Rupp (I'm very high on his scoring ability...very accurate with the puck)

6. Gionta (With no one to whack him, he's a star)

7. Niedermayer (crafty with the puck, but not in practice for this kind of opportunity)

8. Tverdovsky ( I watched him in Anahiem, and he's capable of highlight reel goals.)

9. Pandolfo (put him here to make a point about #10, since I'm not sure he could score on an empty net breakaway)

10 Elias (thinks way too much, misses so many of these and it really pisses me off...and he's supposed to be our sniper?).

Honorable Mention: Berglund.... 2 really good ones that I can remember, but too ealry to tell.

I have lost all hope for Elias scoring on a breakaway. Elias's puck control is horrible. I dont even pay attention anymore when he has the puck cause i know he wont score.

I've always liked Madden, especially in the first game against Ottawa.

Rupp's pretty good and i'm impressed with him but he's still young in this league. I think we're gonna hear alot more of him soon.

Gomez sometimes seems scared of shooting the puck, whenever he's on a breakaway he passes even if there's no one to pass to.

So i would have to go with Friesen or Langenbrunner. All around good scoring guys, especially Friesen lately.

Sad thing is I don't like at least half the choices, even Elias (not good on breakaways in general) or Gomer (not good at scoring in general). Madden used to be pretty good on breakaways but seems to have a lot of gut-wrenching misses on them now too. I'd have picked Langer earlier on but now that he's got his confidence back I'd have to go with Niewy. I wouldn't mind Friesen either, especially since he does have some of the most emotional goal celebrations :lol:

Elias...the mind is what needs some positive thinking...I am not all doom and gloom with Patty as some are...I am not all doom and gloom with the "I wanted it yesterday and it didn't happen so the player is crap and needs to be traded"...everyone has slumps...oh yeah...even Elias...he is a human being...how soon everyone forgets all the positives he has given over the years and not one iota of support during a bumpy time...wonder if he will be the subject of another "refresh my memory" threads ;)

I would choose Niedermayer simply because I have seen him score on penaltyshots and breakaways and boy were some of them beautiful. He's got the best speed and moves on this team and scoring in close is what he has always excelled at. Honorable mentions to Nieuwy who we know is dangerous when alone in front of the net, but Nieds is in his prime will the other is coming to the twilight of his career.

I can't remember who was in goal but I know it was Montreal. I also saw him come flying out of a penalty box and score going in on a breakawat on a highlight reel NewJerseyDevils.com had and it was a beauty. I have seen other similar performances from him and Nieds scores I think like 70% of his goals from 15 feet in. He's really good at scoring in close.