The Official UFA Breaking News Thread

Devilsdude530

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can see Lou letting Clemmensen go. Doyle has earned an opportunity to play in NJ and I think he would definitely be as serviceable as Clemmensen. Also, with Smith and Parise in Lowell, having Doyle there would just make it a logjam. It will come down to Doyle or Clemmensen as the back up.

I think the question is does Lou want to pick him up. I can't help but think he wants a vet goalie to back-up Marty.

I think if anyone other than the Devils offer him anything at all, he will take it. I believe he has said that he hates it here because he just wants to play.

Souray it appears to be the big name defensemen that Lou is going after right now.

I really hope he isnt.

He cant defend, and he is looking at a large amount.

If its only a one year deal at 4 mill i will be realtivley happy, if its anything more than one year, this is a stupid move.

Next years potential UFA pool is much deeper in the defence section this year.

What, is Souray gonna play for free? They only have a few million left in cap space and they still need to sign Shanny and Henrik
Everybody is saying the New York Rangers spent so much money on Scott Gomez and Chris Drury that maybe there is not enough money for Brendan Shanahan. Think again.

The Rangers have lots of room under the salary cap right now. They are sitting by our count at around $37 to $38 million in salary committed to next season. They still have to sign Shanahan - likely around $4 or $5 million - as well as restricted free agent goaltender Henrik Lundqvist and forward Sean Avery. After that, they are pretty much done. There is plenty of money to get those three signed - between $12 and $13 million to take care of Shanahan, Lundqvist and Avery.

TSN LINK

• Vancouver Canucks GM Dave Nonis is still in search of an offensive upgrade and has led its way to Bill Guerin.
  • The Toronto Maple Leafs are on the verge of signing Vesa Toskala to a two-year, $8 million extension while the Leafs can now officially speak to fired Ottawa GM John Muckler

Edited by MrBreeze

Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate)'s drivel for today:

TOP TWENTY UFA'S LEFT

1. Peter Forsberg (Colorado, Ottawa, Vancouver)

2. Dominik Hasek (Detroit, LA)

3. Brendan Shanahan (NY Rangers, Buffalo, Montreal, Detroit)

4. Bill Guerin (St. Louis, Ottawa, Islanders)

5. Slava Kozlov (Dallas, Atlanta, Toronto, Columbus, Ny Islanders)

6. Sheldon Souray (Buffalo, NJ, Anaheim, Montreal, San Jose)

7. Danny Markov (NJ, Buffalo, Islanders)

8. Mike Peca (Toronto, NY Islander, Boston, Buffalo)

9. Mike Comrie (Ottawa, Washington, Calgary)

10.Bryan Berard (Tampa, NY Islanders, Toronto, Dallas, Atlanta)

11.Eric Lindros (Dallas, Boston, Columbus, Anaheim, NY Islanders)

12.Joey McDonald (Anaheim, NY Islanders, Buffalo)

13.Ruslan Fedotenko (Detroit, NJ, San Jose, Pitt, Calgary)

14.Eric Boulton (Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Atlanta)

15.Bryan Boucher (Columbus, NJ, Buffalo) :blink::blink::blink:

16.Brent Sopel (Colorado, San Jose, Atlanta)

17.Martin Gelinas (Florida, Edmonton, Atlanta)

18.Robert Esche (Tampa, San Jose, Buffalo, NJ) :blink::blink::blink:

19.Jeff Friesen (Anaheim, NY Islanders, Pittsburgh

20.Sean Burke (Buffalo, Tampa)

HDONE DEAL

Shane Hnidy to Anaheim is an (e5) Talented kid and a solid pickup that makes the Ducks tougher still...

Trade Rumours from Various Sources Today.

The Oilers have been in lockdown mode and are still frantic in their attempts to land a big name player via trade. Eric Cole, Patrick Marleau, Gken Murray and Bobby Holik are possibilities.

Derek Morris and Ed Jovonavski are rumoured to be on the block. The Islanders attempted to get Jovo yesterday and TSN is reporting that Jovo refused to wave his NTC. I would still look to Jovo to get moved and one source tells me that Florida is quite possible. Jovo likes to play in warm weather I suppose. Derek Morris could end up an Islander or could end up in Buffalo or Montreal.

The NY Islanders are also, along with Montreal and Edmonton, looking into acquiring the enigmatic Zherdev out of Columbus.

The Washington Caps are interested in a few Russian Greats from the past...Fedorov and Yashin...Yashin I am told is also getting looks from Montreal and Vancouver. There are some people that compare Yashin to Selanne. That he could be a huge steel of the UFA period. I am not one of those people.

There is a certain irony to the fact that the Flyers could really use a Big Power Center for around 1.5 Million to round out their team now...the perfect fit will never happen but is #11 on our countdown above. And that is ashame for hockey fans.

Along those lines is Mike Peca and Buffalo. Word is the there is no way Peca could return to the city, and for the life of me I don't know why? (I mean I do know why? from the inner politics, but isn't life too short?) The Leafs are trying to get the cap space according to sources.

The Canucks are also in the market to make a deal...And one of the latest has a package that would send Ohlund and players to NJ for Elias. I have also heard the Habs and Leafs have inquired about Elias and Gionta.

The Habs are also still very much interested in Marleau, and the Sharks are in need of defensive help.

More stuff throughout the day...

Later on...Why Buffalo, the Islanders, and the Flames are better off from a weekend that many are calling a disaster...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8460