Canucks give D McGillis a tryout

Weekes Head

That is good to hear. I remember reading an interview with him early on when he got sent to Albany. He said he wanted to play, that was it, he didn't care what he got paid he just wanted to play in the NHL. Hope it works out for him (I have been waiting to hear if he got anywhere with a team).

hmmm..he'll probably end up at the farm...

my best memory of him will forever be Elias lifting McGillis' stick in front of the goal, and potting the series winner, in Game 7 of ECF in 2000.

Ditto. One of the best moments of my life. One of the worst was when I found out that we had actually signed that pylon.

Edited by MadDog2020

I sense stories about a drunken Dan McGillis in our near future... :evil:

Of course I'll keep you guys posted..:P

... I remember reading an interview with him early on when he got sent to Albany. He said he wanted to play, that was it, he didn't care what he got paid he just wanted to play in the NHL...

That is a refreshing sentiment. Gotta respect that mentality there. When you know you are blessed with being PAID to PLAY a GAME.

That is a refreshing sentiment. Gotta respect that mentality there. When you know you are blessed with being PAID to PLAY a GAME.

I've said it before on the board...I have met Dan a few times through a mutual friend and he called the last two years of his life hell. This is a guy who was stuck in Albany then Lowell knowing he couldn't ever get called up and watched guys a lot worse than him get the call up because they had cheap salaries.

You can say that the guy made 2.2 million but the Devils was his lowest offer and he took it because they were the best team and he wanted to win the Cup badly. You might say Lou overpaid, which he did no doubt but that was the market and the Capitals offered him more years and 3.2 million.

McGillis was one of my biggest disappointments in the Neidermayer aftermath. When we picked him up, I was pretty pysched only to be let down. How many games did I wish pain on him after letting yet another puck sneak offsides. Good to see he will get another shot with another team...never jelled with us.

Here's hoping Rachunek doesn't do a McGillis!

• 4 weeks later...

McGillis couldn't stick with Vancouver and there was no interest elsewhere in the NHL. He just signed with the Mannheim Eagles of the DEL.

http://www.del.org/index.php?id=181&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=800&cHash=37fd49f723

The link is acting weird but if you put it all in the address bar it should work.

Edited by thefiestygoat