Gomez Needs To Get Better

Sting

Here's my problem with both Burns and Lou. The results have been good this year of course and it certainly gives some credence to the way that they run things.

But they both live by this motto, "We're not here for the Fans, We're here to win." Now that's all well and good, but I've got news for both of you...YOU ARE HERE FOR THE FANS. THEY PAY YOUR fvckING SALARIES AND ARE THE REASON THAT YOU ARE EMPLOYED IN THIS ENTERTAINMENT FIELD. So maybe, eventually, they'll realize that bullsh!t answers like, "he's gotta play better" and "because, I felt like it" from Burns, and giving little to no information to the media for the fans by Lou is not the way to endear yourselves. Could Lou have said, we looked at some deals, but other teams wanted too much and it didn't make sense. That's enough. That's all it would take. We'd all understand. But he doesn't say that. He talks about a symphony and an orchestra and chemistry and we're left to figure that he doesn't think this team needs a change, which it quite obviously does.

The media is an extension of the fans. That's how we get our information on this team. Shutting them off is shutting off to the fans. And maybe, just maybe, that's why more and more of them don't show up.

**and on a side note, can anyone give me an example where Burns' tough love that he's showing Gomez has actually produced positive results?

With Gomez? No, probably not sundstrom, but he's worked this act in several NHL cities and it has worked.

Anyway, I'd much rather be winning than knowing what's up with Gomez. I wish we had an organization that leaks everything like Toronto or Boston, those organizations do quite well.

good point. when newy and freisen sucked for the 1st 30 games, you never heard a peep. although, newy saw some 4th line time. but i doubt that's the reason his play turned around. I'll assume it was the brilliant idea to play him with players that could take advantage of his ability. Good thing it only took Burnsy 40 games to figure it out. Perhaps he'll figure out what to do with Gomez and Elias by the playoffs.

There isn't one, Burns uses benchings for "bad play" only on Elias and Gomez when they aren't the only ones to have slumps and their current slumps still do not match some of the early slumps.

Yeah cause Friesen was never benched at the beggining of the year either right?

Oh and someone asked for a good example of Burn's tought love... Joe Thornton.

Gomez was playing better, not like the crap half assed effort Friesen turned in for the first 30 games.

Gomez was going to be traded, and it fell through. That's why he wasn't in the lineup. Lou just fed Burns the company line.

tri- i'm not saying the devils have not played well and their record is poor. it isn't.

but i believe that it could be better. or at least that players such as gomez and elias could be playing better if burns handled them differently.

although in fairness, it was this kind of "treatment" that got every other coach fired.

There isn't one, Burns uses benchings for "bad play" only on Elias and Gomez when they aren't the only ones to have slumps and their current slumps still do not match some of the early slumps.

Yeah cause Friesen was never benched at the beggining of the year either right?

Oh and someone asked for a good example of Burn's tought love... Joe Thornton.

benched....not scratched. huge, huge difference.

and as for thornton, burns was tough on him, but joey t. says that keenan was just as valuable for him. and i don't remember him getting scratched either.

No, it isn't, but the principle is the same.

I think the timing for this is perfect. Gomez can't demand a trade.

He's being treated unfairly, Burns knows he's treating him unfairly, Gomez knows he's being treated unfairly. Life isn't fair. Pull through it and become a better player.

Well being scratched/benched certainly doesn't improve your game when you aren't skating but how much more time does he need? A talented player, which I believe he is and will continue to be, should not have to rely on wingers for points/success.

I cannot believe you all feel this way...it looks simple to me...the mind rules the body...seems Gomez needed something real strong to get a message thru his head, you know where the mind lives...Elias got the message loud and clear by the scratching of Gomez...I like the move...good for Burns :clap:

so why wasnt elias benched then? he def needs to get better

So true, as Gomez is not the goal scorer that Elias is. Gomez cannot be singled out like he was last night as he plays bigger than any Devil on team(Brylin exception).

I don't care how fragile Elias may be as far as his emotioal stability is concerned as the guy is paid to score! The fact is Gomez gives 100% every time he is on the ice. I question the move, but motivation is key this time of year and Burns is paid to make these decisions.

We can only speculate, but Gomez is not the problem and if Elias could just put the puck in on the PP we would not be having this discussion.

:evilcry:

Peace,

Venting