Asking Price For Selanne, Via Tfp.com

insanity_gallops

A 4th for Selanne?

TFP Staff Writer

Wednesday, March 12, 2003

The Fourth Period - When the Philadelphia Flyers have acquired winger Tony Amonte from the Phoenix Coyotes for prospect Guillaume Lefebvre, Atlanta's third-round pick this year and Philadelphia's second-round pick in 2004, many scratched their head. Why so little for a proven top scorer? Well, according to Netwaves radio show Face-Off, the price for Amonte was so low because San Jose was only asking for a fourth round pick for Teemu Selanne.

The Flyers had the option of bringing in Amonte, or Selanne but opted to create their own USA-line: John Leclair - Jeremy Roenick - Tony Amonte. According to numerous sources, Flyers general manager Bobby Clarke publicly commented as to why he should pay for Amonte when he can get Selanne for a fourth rounder. Amonte should regain form as a Flyer, while Selanne's future in San Jose will remain a mystery until the off-season.

This little blurb, if accurate, makes me think Lou had more than enough resources to send to San Jose, and only Selanne prevented the deal from occurring.

Uh, I thought it was illegal to mention publicly the names of players involved in a potential trade. I thought Clarke got into trouble when he was trying to deal Lindros for mentioning Danil Markov.

That Flyer organization has always been leaky, though.

I don't buy the rumor. Selanne for a 4th would create a bidding war.

I don't get it sundstrom, Lou wasn't looking for fire exits, he was looking for a trade. There is no backup plan.

C'mon now Tri - don't tell me Lou was too busy to look places other than San Jose in case Selanne exercised his no trade clause. That's his job.

You guys don't get it, the Devils didn't have the financial or corporeal (i.e. manpower) assets to pull off a deal yesterday. That's reality. So if no one was selling for the price the Devils wanted, they walked away and will eat the contracts. I still haven't heard any decent deals that make any sense, even in this crazy 2003 financial reality where teams are dumping stars for very little.

tri- t-vo was a marketable commodity. if we needed cash to bring in a scorer, we could've moved him for draft picks. hell, detroit woulda paid the same they did for schneider (if not more because t-vo isn't ufa). we could have then used part of that package to acquire someone like Satan or Daze. The money from T-vo ($3.5M would've paid for the new guy that came in).

And here's a question. If Lou didn't want to upset the applecart, and T-vo is so important, then why:

1) was he scratched

2) did we acquire shmelik so that t-vo might have to sit.

you can't bring up financial concerns when the devils went and added payroll for backups that they really didn't need.

lou had a deal in his head and it didn't come through. when that happened, he (and we) got screwed. it IS his job and he's always done it right on this day except for this year. I would've thought he had 4 or 5 plans and if the 1st doesn't work, he moves on. Was he sitting all day waiting to hear if Selanne would say yes? If so, that's a bad job.

What are you talking about? Amonte is owed $18 million over the next 3 years, cutting $3.5 million isn't going to do it. And why are you so sure that Satan was even available? Seems to me that Satan and Palffy weren't for sale. Smehlik and Marshall are cheap, and don't have contracts past this year.

I don't believe for a second that's all it would have cost.

Maybe Selanne didn't want to leave the west coast and did nix some deals, but don't you think Anaheim would have been all over that trade? Hell, they settled for Thomas for a fifth rounder. I highly doubt they weren't willing to give up a fourth round pick, considering he's probably going to sign there next season anyways.

It's a bogus story.

Let's see, I'm Ken Holland. Do I want the guy who's been out for 20 games with a mystery illness who is 5th on his team in ice time when he does play, who has 12 points and a - on the best defensive team in hockey, who has never been past the first round... or a Stanley Cup veteran who's a minutes leader on his team. Tough call.

There was no market for Tverdovsky, and Satan and Daze were not moved! How can you say they were for sale if they weren't moved, considering the prices that Amonte and Kovalev drew. Teams are either desperate or reticent to deal their stars. The Devils didn't have the ability to make a better offer. You either hold on to your stars, or let them go for low offers. Everyone thought it would be a complete buyer's market, but most of the big names rumored to go stayed right where they were.

Why was Tverdovsky out last night? I've no idea, I missed the game on Saturday. Maybe they want him to work on his fitness.. sure seemed like it when he got beat horribly in the Minnesota game.. Smehlik will not play for Tverdovsky, he is just insurance in case both Daneyko and Albelin leave next year. Unless Tverdovsky gets injured again, I think it will be Daneyko sitting.

I agree with Sundstrom, in that Lou should have had an alternate planand that if money was an issue, Tvo's $ could have been used, by dealing him off . SO whether or not Selanne vetoed the trade (which , all along, WE ALL KNEW was a distinct possiblity, and quite frankly the only thing that I felt would keep Teemu from being a Devil) Lou would have given this team a fighting chance......

That being said. I'm personally done with this topic.....It's OVER. The only thing left to say is

LET's GO DEVIL'S

bj- i wasn't talking about amonte. i understand not trading for him. the word in all the media (100% no, but not 0% either) was that satan was on the block. and there were other teams that were out of it that might have looked to make a deal. I'd bet that Carolina would've parted with Jeff O'neill. Smolinski would've been a nice consolation and could've moved gomez to the wing. whatever the case, i'm sure there was an answer out there.

If the Devils could have gotten a 1 and a 2 for Tverdovsky, they would have done it in a second. No way this guy can command nearly that much.

Two years ago when he went from Phoenix to Anaheim he went for a first and a prospect. He had more value then.

bj- i wasn't talking about amonte. i understand not trading for him. the word in all the media (100% no, but not 0% either) was that satan was on the block. and there were other teams that were out of it that might have looked to make a deal. I'd bet that Carolina would've parted with Jeff O'neill. Smolinski would've been a nice consolation and could've moved gomez to the wing. whatever the case, i'm sure there was an answer out there.

Satan is Buffalo's only star player. They were not going to trade him for peanuts. Trading Jeff O'Neil would've left the Canes with just Ron Francis from their original top line, and he's retiring soon. No way would he have come cheap. Smolinsky went for a prospect on par with Paul Martin or David Hale, that's an awful lot to pay for a depth guy.

Look at it this way, if Satan, Drury, and O'Neil were available, would Philly have gone after Amonte? No way.

Its over. Lets move on. We have what we have and will live and die with it.

If Lou wants to move Gomer in the off season I'll see what we get for him before commenting. Right now this team has to get there collective heads out of their collective asses. They are starting games too slowly and are forced to play catch up. Not a strong point for them.

The PP sucks. It has to get better or we are sunk. We have four weeks to get ourselves squared away for the playoffs. I still believe that this team can compete with anyone in the conference. If Marty plays like he did in 2000 there is no other goalie in the conference that can match him. We beat Belfore once, we can do it again.

We will never, ever get an explanaion from Lou on what he does and does not do. Frankly, if people need to have open lines of communication from the GM in order to go to games, well, thats just lame. I go to see a winning team.

The Rangers GM's have great lines of communication with the media and fans. I wouldn't trade any of the past 8 years for that.

If winning isn't enough, then go find another team to watch. Get the Center Ice package and pick a new team. I'm sure their GM's would love to communicate with you.

Selanne was not moved because he would NOT waive his no trade clause. He did not want to come East.

Money was not a factor, the Devils would have only been responsible for a month of his salary and made up the rest in playoff revenue.

In the off-season we could have dealt some of our excess forwards. But Selanne didn't want to come.