Game Night Production

HellOnICE

I just posted this at HFBOARDS, because someone had started a thread criticizing the music at the rock, and I felt the need to post this...because it's something I feel extremely Strongly about... so here it is..

I have been to all but on game at the Rock this year (I missed the Buffalo game from a few weeks back, I had 102 fever ), and I have to say that...

I agree. And it's not just the music production. It's the whole game night production. It's terrrrrible. We have the worst videos in the 15 or so arenas I've seen. The videos have no creative arc to them, no climax, horrible music quality and a failure to match the beat to the video. Furthermore, the overuse of the Organ (which doesn't even sound like an organ) during pregame, between periods KILLS, literally KILLS and prevents any sort of energy from being built. The "crowd" pump videos they use...Daughtry, Hinder?, All American Rejects?...you're kidding right. I don't even know who Hinder is, and I am in their prime target audience.

What happened to the Michael Strahan video?...Furthermore, we are the luckiest team to have a SEINFELD EPISODE with a DEVILS character in there. Over kill the damned thing! They should play Putty at every game (or almost every game).

The opening sequence looks like they found every effect on the new scoreboard and put it back to back, and after Sean Connery, it drops for about 2 seconds and all the energy dies...and it starts this horrrrrid video that has no beat, or anything to it...then right into the Hells Bells video (which actually isn't bad, but doesn't really have a climax to it).

If it was me the game night video production would start when the doors open at 5:30. Those that get there early, like myself, have to stare at these horrid slides on the big board (like Devils Scramble name)...while listening to that crap organ. Here's TWO ideas: 1. Play the previous nights NHL On The Fly Final so fans can keep up on the league. 2. Play a classic/any game between the two teams that will take the ice. Edit it down to exactly an hour and from 5:30 to 6:30..it ends just as the teams take the ice for warm ups.

For pregame...after the announcements do it old school. Running With The Devil into the previous game's highlights (if need be)...Then into a highlight video set YANNI's song we all came to know and love at the Meadowlands. That was Devils hockey. Then into The Hells Bells video now...and when they enter the ice surface...SEEK AND DESTROY blaring...(Like in 2003). If you notice now, when they take the ice Thunderstruck comes on, awfully quietly...As the players take the ice, INTRODUCE THE LINE UP then...so that between the anthem and opening faceoff you can play Sean Connery's WELCOME TO THE ROCK. That's the time to play it.

In game...keep the train race, trivia, puck shuffle, XM Highlights, Rock Hard Hits, compare city cheer/boo, and the kiss cam...Get rid of DANCING with the Power PLayers (do we even need them?...what a horrible commericial break that is). Also get rid of the NJ Devil video of the Date (they've played it a few times). It's horribly amateurish and cheap (just look at the jerseys the girl wears...they are all from like 1993).

Like I said before...the Daughtry, Hinder, Rejects videos HAVE GOT TO GO. You want to play videos...how about some video clips from movies...Miracle, Mystery Alaska, Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday...the list can go on. Something to inspire the crowd on an emotional level (after all, that's what it's about isn't it?).

During intermissions... The Devils should play the FSNY interview with the player after the intermission entertainment is over. Also, if they are ambitious it'd be nice to have a Devils produced feature (or Cangialosi's feature) on a player, or a part of the building...something. Lastly, duriing the highlights, they should show EVERY highlight..including away goals. It's ok, they can show those too...it won't hurt our feelings. The point is to be informational on that, so show it all good/bad.

GOAL HORN. We need a goal horn...I suggest bring back the old one from the CAA, that was a sound clip that was DEVILS HOCKEY. If not get a real horn from a train (as we are in Newark) and blare that thing. Get rid of Zombie Nation...it's very bland and you can't really do anything to it. If it was me, I'd play Bon Jovi's Raise Your Hands...it's fast, it's hard and you can literally RAISE YOUR HANDS.

Music. ROCK. ROCK. ROCK. Jovi, Bruce should be standards. But keep up with Rock old and new. Zeppelin, Stones, ACDC to new stuff from Velvet Revolver, Mute Math, U2...the list goes on. "EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS"...it's disugsting. Also the CHICKEN DANCE should NEVER EvER be played in a hockey arena.

And finally...during the third period of EVERY GAME (and if it was up to me, I'd do this in all 30 rinks)...maybe the second to last commericial break...there should be a mandatory playing of "The Hockey Song - The Good Ole Hockey Game" by Stompin Tom Connors.

That's all for now...But they NEEd to do these things. Because right now, the atmosphere on most nights is mediocre. The fans are partly responsible for that, but the TEAM can do so much more.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great well thought-out post. I also get there when the doors open and lord knows people like us definately have PLENTY of time to think of these things. Just a few observations/suggestions/thoughts of my own:

Lou loves the organist. They brought him in during the 2000 playoffs. We all know how much of a traditionalist he is. Anyone remember the awful synth player they had in the late 80s-early 90s? They never even played real music back then, just awful synth covers of lame songs.

Also back in the mid-late 90s, they used to show that week's episode of NHL Cool Shots as the doors opened, leading up to the team hitting the ice for warmups. Then just before Yanni, they'd play "Last Night in the NHL" and it would be a highlight reel of every game from the previous night. They also used to show the league standings and stat leaders. We can't even get that any more on one of the 97 screens on the center scoreboard.

Here's the problem with any pre-game entertainment. They don't want you entertained. They want you wandering the concourses or going to the Goal Bar or Restaurant and spending money. If they entertained you for free, they lose.

I've been to a few road games and just about all of them have some kind of in-house game night production. They usually have an in-house reporter who interviews the coach and a player or two before the game, and even during intermissions and they put it on the big screen. The Titans did this a few years ago before they went broke. The Boardwalk Bullies did this for the 800 people that showed up for their games! Hell, Buffalo has a whole studio show for just the people in the arena. There's two guys at a desk and they preview the night's game, have interviews, show highlights from other games going on in the league and even period highlights from the game you're at. Yeah, we can see the Devils springing for something like that and making their players accessable.

What I'd really like to see is more in-game stats. Just this past week they, for the first time, actually put up power play statistics when a team got a power play, such as their percentage and standing in the league. I also noticed a few more stats such as faceoffs, etc on the side scoreboards. They look like they were done on a Commodore 64 monitor.

The music has always been atrocious. What I hate is how it becomes dance club Devils during the 3rd period. This has carried over from Club Continental in years past. I thought they were turning the corner a little when I actually heard Primus a couple times at the end of last season. Nope.

Get rid of the power players. Their awful out of synch dance numbers where it looks like they'd rather be anywhere else do not make for an intimidating atmosphere. I thought I saw it all when I saw the Panthers dance team when I was down there in October, but this is worse. They don't even toss t-shirts to the crowd anymore.

Have a loudest section contest like the Titans used to have. Put two sections against each other and see which one can make more noise and give everyone in the winning section a voucher for a free hot dog or pizza slice or something. Use real cards for card sharks, like the old game show. I know it's stupid but the video ones bother me. I do like the fact that people lose though. I enjoy that.

I don't know where else to go with this other than LOWER THE $100, $95, $75, and $65 SEATS PERMANENTLY. Slash them all 40-50% and raise all ticket prices by only $5-10 for the first two rounds of the playoffs.

A few years back, the Devils switched their pre-game video music from Yanni to some other uninspiring, bland piano ballad or something. I emailed the team voicing my displeasure, and a few weeks later when I made it to another game, Yanni was back. So email the team. Things might actually change.

I agree on most points made, but I like the organ. The choice of videos are pretty lame and not much is done to get the crowd into it. But, come on, if you paid $100 for upper level seats at a hockey game, shouldn't you need no further motivation to get your money's worth? I have a bigger beef with the countless quiet fans who leave their vocal chords at home and thumb their noses at the few who actually try to make some noise. I don't think playing music by talentless pretty boys ::coughBonJovicough:: will help that situation, but maybe that's just me.

A few years back, the Devils switched their pre-game video music from Yanni to some other uninspiring, bland piano ballad or something. I emailed the team voicing my displeasure, and a few weeks later when I made it to another game, Yanni was back. So email the team. Things might actually change.

I agree on most points made, but I like the organ. The choice of videos are pretty lame and not much is done to get the crowd into it. But, come on, if you paid $100 for upper level seats at a hockey game, shouldn't you need no further motivation to get your money's worth? I have a bigger beef with the countless quiet fans who leave their vocal chords at home and thumb their noses at the few who actually try to make some noise. I don't think playing music by talentless pretty boys ::coughBonJovicough:: will help that situation, but maybe that's just me.

Another good post. I agree, they could help the fan noise by making better music choices.

Interesting points...I would agree on a lot of the suggestions - but:

Some things to consider...all the music and videos and clips they use require a performance license and licensing fee from the publisher of the song (not just the artist), and the corresponding performing arts society(ASCAP, BMI). Due to the size of the Rock, its a large venue and those licenses don't come cheap (newer + larger venues = more expensive licenses), so they may be spending their money on certain "limited choices"....kind of targeting certain songs, videos, or artists. They must report an accurate record of what gets played and at what clock time.

Additionally, some of those organizations/publishers may have renegotiated or wanted a higher fee for usage....since the move from the Continental. It really depends on what they paid for and worked out legally.

Last thing to consider....I know Vands is no penny pincher....but high quality organs are not cheap....easily over $3000 to start....might be a place where they cut a few corners. I love the tradition of organ at the games....here in LA they play more and more hip hop...which seems amazingly out-of-place for a hockey game. :noclue:

"EVERYBODY CLAP YOUR HANDS"...it's disugsting. Also the CHICKEN DANCE should NEVER EvER be played in a hockey arena.

I agree with almost everything you said but do you notice that when Everybody Clap Your Hands is played, pretty much everyone claps along with it. That's why it is mainly played. The chicken dance is played for the kids. You can't have every song be a rock song. I agree they need to get rid of those Daughtry, Hinder, All American Rejects videos. Especially the later 2 because they are about 3 seasons old now, at least the Daughtry one is new.

The Devils should do what the Islanders do, and stick a powerplay girl on each Zamboni with a t-shirt gun and let them shoot t-shirts out the whole time the ice is being cleaned.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I hate that "Everybody clap your hands!" thing. With everyone clapping in the same rhythm it makes us seem like robots obeying commands or something. The noise meters are better.

Hell no.

I fail to see why anyone hates that song. A great NJ punk band doing a victory song. It got everyone pumped and is waaay better than that techno crap they are playing now.

I agree with many of the points made by HOI here. Having said that, this is the first year in the new building and I think this is a work in progress, but it definitely doesn't hurt to point out what's not working. A fan like HOI, who's been to all but one game, should definitely be taken seriously by the powers that be.

The two points I agree on the most:

Either get rid of the Devils sluts, or least find some ladies that don't look uncomfortable and miserable, and have the slightest clue how to dance. They look so damn minor-league and amateur. The current crop brings absolutely nothing to the game or the overall experience.

The new goal horn sucks. I don't know why they saw the need to change what had been one of the most distinctive goal horns in the league. That horn is associated with so many great Devil goals...why did they have to fvck with it? I find myself looking for old scoring clips on YouTube just to hear the old one, and it's not even close. I'd almost rather hear the old siren-style horn with the goofy explosions (from the late 80s-early 90s) than the whale sneeze/muted train blast we're subjected to today.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

OK, there's a lot of Haterade being poured on the Power Players right now, and since I know some of them I feel it's my duty to defend them.

Get rid of the power players. Their awful out of synch dance numbers where it looks like they'd rather be anywhere else do not make for an intimidating atmosphere. I thought I saw it all when I saw the Panthers dance team when I was down there in October, but this is worse. They don't even toss t-shirts to the crowd anymore.