Lou and Sutter are delusional

msweet

mssweet, what the hell are you doing in my head? You have echoed every single thought\opinion that I have felt throughout this entire fiasco for the past 2 days to perfection. You have also spared me the time to write a rant of my own, considering yours is exactly the way I (and many others) have felt over this matter completely. ;) **You are not alone my friend** ;) I also commend you on your bravery to take the first step to speak out on how you truly feel, on a setting such as this (internet forum) where you will undoubtedly be outnumbered by frustrated fans, either pretending to be optimistic, or followers too afraid to go against the establishment to see the bigger picture. Never-the-less, you have drawn a firm line in the sand, and I will defend you 100%.

The disappointment I felt over the missed opportunity(s) that transpired on Tuesday was immense. After all was said and done, by 5:30pm I was as catatonic as Randle McMurphy at the end of 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'. You have no idea. I was more shocked than I've ever been over any trade deadline I've ever experienced. ...and I've been a fan since 1989. Yet in the back of my mind, I always had an ill feeling that something like that was going to happen. Partially because (as a Devils fan) I am conditioned to think so, and partially because our situation going into Tuesday was almost too perfect. Competitive team, ample cap room, indications of "holes to be fixed" over the span of the season, etc... It was almost like you were expecting something big, which is never a good sign. Boy was I in for a rude awakening. As shown by yesterdays game, once again the true "holes" on this team weren't addressed, and the trade that eventually went down proved to be as useful as a screen door on a submarine. Translation: It resolved nothing.

It was laughable when I first heard Greene was getting the blame over last nights game. The offense provided one goal, yet somehow Greene gets thrown under the buss?!? :noclue: However this has been a common vibe among (some of) the brass throughout this organization (to pass the buck) for quit some time. What was the point of placing the blame on Greene? What exactly did that prove? The only thing this team HAS proved is that when Madden, Parise, &\or Elias don't score, this team struggles to find wins. And when they do somehow win without the goal support of the Big 3, Brodeur has to stand on his head.

It's funny to read the posts now 24 hours after D'Day. There are people on this forum saying that Mottau & Brookbank should now go down to the AHL. :blink: These are the same people who commended them all year long, saying how well they've adjusted, and how they are truly underachieving unsung heros. :unsure: What kind of message does that send to this organization? (sending them down) What is the recourse of the "young player"? Meanwhile the other 50% of fans are chanting "the Devils didn't need to make a trade, they are 1st in the conference". :doh1: Let's get one thing straight: the Devils are 1st in the East because the SENATORS DIED! -period. Ottawa's got 7 wins, in the past 21 games! Preaching that NJ's in 1st, isn't as big an accomplishment if one takes the time to scratch the surface. Tuesday was a chance to really walk away a power house, in what has been a mediocre Conference. This could've been a chance to go into the playoffs strong and fine tuned given the circumstances of the season. Furthermore, saying "just wait till free agency begins next year, you'll see, Lou will show them" means nothing. 1st because we're in THIS - SEASON, not NEXT SEASON. And 2nd because the pool of freebies next year is sparse. Name me 10 UFA's (at least) the Devils have a snow balls chance in hell of acquiring next season?

Going forward, Devils fans (as usual) can put any spin on this they want, regardless over the outcome of the season. The simple fact remains, (as written throughout many newspapers\websites\blogs) "Lou tried". Yes, Lou tried. And Lou failed.

Edited by Beezer34

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"We are in First place!!! We are in First Place!! First in the East baby!!"

It's amazing how ridiculous people can be about a computer stat.

"How can you begin to say this when we are sitting atop the conference?"

We've been there for what...like a week....?

We're ahead by what...a point...two?

Come on this could change in a matter of days....teams can go from in to out in a week right now. Look at NYI.

Post back at me in a week or two....Lets see if it can last (I hope it does...but lets wait)

"Well....a win is a win baby!"- Yup, many here could care less at the 60 minute quality of team play as long as somebody gets luck in OT and manages to squeak it out for us. I'm all for gathering points to keep in the hunt. But what a lot of the "negative crowd" here are REALLY trying to point out is stop looking at the stats and WATCH the actual game. When we see a team that is close to rising up to the level of play and intensity its goaltender we all will climb on board. Until then...we're still worried.

Lets see if it can last.

Edited by DevilinLA

Is this thread a joke...the voice of reason? This sounds more like the sound coming out of my ass in the morning.

First you say, how much did Lou really do for this franchise. I don't know, make up competitive for all but 1 year in the last 15-20 years. How many teams can actually boast that. To say it was all Brodeur is a pile of crap. Lou has always surrounded his best assets with a system that would compliment their style of play. He has also surrounded his players with the best possible coach for the team every year.

Now you bash Sutter, a person who has won everything as a player and as a coach. He knows what it takes to win and he has taken this team who were dealt a poor hand at the start of the season and made them into the team of the east. He has won the memorial cup as a coach, won two WJC for Canada, dismantled Russia at the summit series and will be the coach for the Devils for a long time. Do you actually think Mottau, Oduya, and Brookbank would be playing in the NHL had they not been playing on this team. Vishnevski was one poor year away from Russia also.

The scary thing is that this team has experience and is built for the playoffs. The forwards really remind me of the team we had in 2003. Very streaky scoring. If the defense holds up I think we have as good a shot as any to win the cup, isn't that main thing in hockey, give yourself a chance to win.

Edited by Jas0nMacIsaac

Post back at me in a week or two....Lets see if it can last (I hope it does...but lets wait)

I've been reading that quote for most of the season from people waiting for the team to show how awful it is. A month ago people were posting to wait a week to see the Devils not in a playoff spot. Of course the team now leads the East and has the best goal differential in the East.

It's amazing how ridiculous people can be about a computer stat.

So winning is now a computer stat? How exactly are teams judged again?

Yup, many here could care less at the 60 minute quality of team play as long as somebody gets luck in OT and manages to squeak it out for us.

The Devils must be incredibly lucky since they've lucked out so much more than every other team in the league. :rolleyes:

No wonder other teams fans don't give the Devils any credit, a bunch of their own fans can't give the team credit for even being good.

Edited by Devils731

So, the consesus from the fear mongerers is that we should have sold out the future for a possible cup run this year because Marty is getting old?

Ridiculous.

We have 4 more years of Marty. Lou was NOT going to give up too much, and he didn't. Now, he has ALL the youth he had going into trade day, slightly better defense, and the entire offseason to ADD TO IT. It was NEVER about this season.

This is what a New Jersey Devils REBUILDING year looks like. Enjoy it. 29 other teams wish they could look like this while rebuilding.

Lou was not going to blow out the future for a 1-year 'maybe' when he can hold on and have 2-3 years of solid runs.

Again, if you want flashy trades that end with dissapointment, be an Isles fan. You think that Ryan Smyth trade worked out ok for them?

I'll refresh your memory... 2 months of half-hearted Ryan Smyth for Robert Nilsson, Ryan O'Marra, and a 1st Rounder.

I've been reading that quote for most of the season from people waiting for the team to show how awful it is.

Where do I say we're awful?

A month ago people were posting to wait a week to see the Devils not in a playoff spot. Of course the team now leads the East and has the best goal differential in the East.

So winning is now a computer stat? How exactly are teams judged again?

The Devils must be incredibly lucky since they've lucked out so much more than every other team in the league. :rolleyes:

No wonder other teams fans don't give the Devils any credit, a bunch of their own fans can't give the team credit for even being good.

Read the post again....where do I say that they are not a good team...nowhere!

They, and Sutter, deserve a barnfull of credit for where they are with what they have...no argument. Simple hard work has got them there...a full-on implosion is doubtful.

I'm simply making the point that the argument of "First in the East!" is an empty point, and can change like the weather right now.

They are lucky and work hard...that will get them into the playoffs...beyond that who knows... :evil:

Edited by DevilinLA

Read my post, I didn't say you said the team was bad either if we're going to get picky. You act that way though. You were definitely downplaying the teams success, you said this team is worthy of being worried over.

You ignored any of the meat of what I posted and instead wanted to pick on wordings. You said hard work and luck will get them in the playoffs, again that doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is good, neither does being worried over the team.

You skipped answering why you feel wins are a "computer" stat.

Edited by Devils731

Read my post, I didn't say you said the team was bad either if we're going to get picky. You act that way though. You were definitely downplaying the teams success, you said this team is worthy of being worried over.

I'm not downplaying the teams' success, I'm just not ready to think any further than a game at a time. I prefer to be pleasantly surprised rather than dissappointed. We are all "pleasantly surprised" right now compared to the earlier part of the season. As I said, thi steam has a done a BARNLOAD of hard work this season and deserves respect...but not fear yet. But their are a lot of people here who want to start talking about a cup...not time for that yet. I agree with Sutter ....one game at a time. A key injury could severely hamper this team right now like any other.

You ignored any of the meat of what I posted and instead wanted to pick on wordings.

You ignored my point....people who make too much of our potentially temporary hold on the top East conference spot.

You said hard work and luck will get them in the playoffs, again that doesn't sound like someone who thinks the team is good, neither does being worried over the team.

Any team needs hard work and luck to be succesfull....regardless of the roster. So being cautious and concerned = lack of faith. Why can't one believe in this team and also be concerned or cautious? I'm sure Lou and Sutter have concerns....does this mean a lack of faith?

You skipped answering why you feel wins are a "computer" stat.

Obviouslly wins count...we all know that...just saying some people get wrapped up in the standings rather than the quality of play "on-the-ice". Which has been poor as of late (2-3 games)

Good debate. ;)

Edited by DevilinLA

We've played 78% of the season and are first in the east, third in the league. This team is either good enough to win the cup (which I believe they are), or they are so flawed that another rental player won't help them. We couldn't afford to give up another first round in addition to one of our few valuable prospects to slightly increase our chances. People need to chill.

Someone mentioned how they thought Pittsburgh got weaker...and part of my agrees with that. Armstrong was a big part, or a part, of the grit that team has. Gary Roberts will be back, but who knows what he can do. Armstrong, through the body, had some O upside, and yea they get Hossa...but I'm not sold on his playoff performance and his toughness in the playoff trenches. Montreal didn't do much and are beatable.

In fact the only playoff team I am really scared off is the New York Rangers.

armstrong is a gritty and smart young player, and christiansen was always playing well in the games vs. the devils...i can't believe what pittsburgh gave away to rent hossa.

it's insane.

salvador for janssen is amazing...lou rocks.

Someone mentioned how they thought Pittsburgh got weaker...and part of my agrees with that. Armstrong was a big part, or a part, of the grit that team has. Gary Roberts will be back, but who knows what he can do. Armstrong, through the body, had some O upside, and yea they get Hossa...but I'm not sold on his playoff performance and his toughness in the playoff trenches. Montreal didn't do much and are beatable.

Yup.

I'm certain that Lou called upon his pyschic powers and saw that Havlat was going down, possibly for the rest of the season.

What a man!!! His new name is Karnac!!!