Curse part 7 Game Thread: Devils VS Rangers

Devil Fan

This thread (and board as of late) has convinced me of one hard truth:

A freefall out of the playoffs for this team wouldn't be the worst thing for the fanbase.

It would mabye wake-up a lot of the spoiled fans on this board who are calling for whoever's head each game.

Fire Sutter, Fire Lou, Fire the equipment guy...that must be the reason!

Oh, they don't really WANT IT.

This team has done FINE this year considering all the changes made in personell, coaching, and the building.

If they were to stop now...it would have still been a successful season. the Devils are an organization about winning, and as a result, they have to see the big picturein terms of years and building "overall team strength" instead of a purely, all-or-nothing, yearly run.

Forgive me for saying it, Some people take a real selfish approach to being a fan.

Just because they didn't beat the Rags so you can brag to your friends who are Ranger fans...big deal.

They are successful, and they will continue to be successful next year.

If they make they playoffs and go one and done or ECF; its all good. They don't have to (and can't) win it every year.

My god, what would some of you have done in the 80's with this team....or if you were PHX fans?

I understand the rage, anger and frustration; but some here forget the last 70+ games for the last 5 or even 10.

That's cool and all, but the Devils have created this monster. If they're going to go along with what you're saying, they need a new philosophy/identity. "Writing something off because it goes poorly at the end" isn't really the current one. Not that they don't need a new one. I think the current one is kinda a farce of what the Devils were before the lockout.

I think a freefall out would be a total abomination for the franchise off the ice and a positive on it, in that it would maybe speed things that that would have taken a couple of years to work their way through the system.

I know Jeff won't be happy. Notice the clean slate they have on the board for the next two months. I'm sure they have some things in the works, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind 12-14 playoff dates. The extra dates would lessen the blow for ticket prices that need to be lowered, and I'm sure falling off the face of hockey oblivion would be great for next year's sales. We have a hard enough time getting people to go unless it's an "event".

Fans living/dying on the games isn't a bad thing. It means they demand something other than "meh", or "hey, we made the 8th seed once in five years, hooray us!", or "you know, we ain't made the playoffs yet, but that civil war cannon makes me happy to be here, I'll ignore they charge me a PSL!"

Maybe you've just spent too much time in Kings territory.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That's cool and all, but the Devils have created this monster. If they're going to go along with what you're saying, they need a new philosophy/identity. "Writing something off because it goes poorly at the end" isn't really the current one. Not that they don't need a new one. I think the current one is kinda a farce of what the Devils were before the lockout.

I think a freefall out would be a total abomination for the franchise off the ice and a positive on it, in that it would maybe speed things that that would have taken a couple of years to work their way through the system.

I know Jeff won't be happy. Notice the clean slate they have on the board for the next two months. I'm sure they have some things in the works, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind 12-14 playoff dates. The extra dates would lessen the blow for ticket prices that need to be lowered, and I'm sure falling off the face of hockey oblivion would be great for next year's sales. We have a hard enough time getting people to go unless it's an "event".

Agreed. I think it goes without question that the financial implications would not be good. no way around that.

Fans living/dying on the games isn't a bad thing. It means they demand something other than "meh", or "hey, we made the 8th seed once in five years, hooray us!", or "you know, we ain't made the playoffs yet, but that civil war cannon makes me happy to be here, I'll ignore they charge me a PSL!"

Disagree here. There is quite a wide chasm between the Mob mentality: "Someone must be fired each time the team goes on a bender, Sutter didn't come through w/ a cup - he's obviouslly not the hockey messiah, uhh sutter's obviouslly untouchable - give'em Johnny Mac's head"

and

"Wow, they have playoffs in hockey...that should be different...lets go see what thats all about".

There is an acceptable cycle to the Cap-based professional hockey world which requires a long-term view of success, transition, and retooling while remaining competitive. Seems many Devils fans have an all-or- nothing mentality. Sure, "Every year our goal is the cup" is a great ideal or soundbyte, realism however demands best efforts and strategy, but the acceptable outcome that game-for-game dominance can't be done each and every year. Many NHL fans are happy to see their team stay competitive (playoffs or a strong run at them) and make their best efforts to get to the end.

I think many of us were manipulated by the standings and are now somewhat enraged at the true colors of this team, or at least the reality what they are both capable or not capable of achieving. What will happen to this fanbase upon the departure of Marty or below-average seasons of a possible future? Many can barely handle a potential NYR sweep.

Maybe you've just spent too much time in Kings territory.

How can I say your wrong? Of course, I'd love to spend every night at the Rock. I'm always jealous of you local guys. I'm no expert, But having lived in Dallas, Boston, and now LA for some years, I've been fortunate to at least get a limited taste of some fans' feelings and trends outside the NY/NJ Metro area. Many of whom are both respectful and envious of our success, and would probably jump atthe opportunity to see 1/2 the playoff years we have.

Edited by DevilinLA

A freefall out of the playoffs for this team wouldn't be the worst thing for the fanbase.

It would mabye wake-up a lot of the spoiled fans on this board who are calling for whoever's head each game.

Fire Sutter, Fire Lou, Fire the equipment guy...that must be the reason!

This team has done FINE this year considering all the changes made in personell, coaching, and the building.

Edited by Hasan4978

It would mabye wake-up a lot of the spoiled fans on this board who are calling for whoever's head each game.Fire Sutter, Fire Lou, Fire the equipment guy...that must be the reason!

If they were to stop now...it would have still been a successful season. the Devils are an organization about winning, and as a result, they have to see the big picturein terms of years and building "overall team strength" instead of a purely, all-or-nothing, yearly run.

Forgive me for saying it, Some people take a real selfish approach to being a fan.

Just because they didn't beat the Rags so you can brag to your friends who are Ranger fans...big deal.

They are successful, and they will continue to be successful next year.

If they make they playoffs and go one and done or ECF; its all good. They don't have to (and can't) win it every year.

My god, what would some of you have done in the 80's with this team....or if you were PHX fans?

I understand the rage, anger and frustration; but some here forget the last 70+ games for the last 5 or even 10.

Wow. Marvelous post, I must say.

No offense guys (ever notice when someone begins to say "No offense" a negative remark usually follows?) but you have been spoiled with your phenomenal success in the late 90s-early 00. As for "dealing with Rag fans," big deal. It's not like us Rag fans didn't have to deal with Devil fans on your brilliant dominance in your hey-day...not to mention 2006 (which thankfully was rather painless). Perhaps it's the changing of the guard...who knows, the playoffs might be just what you need. Maybe we're going to start winning again. Let's wait and see. Truth be told, I think this has been a very successful season and I personally feel you guys have "overachieved" thus far. Think about your roster. It's not exactly filled with "huge names" yet you guys have meshed marvelously this year. If Philly beat you tonight (and I really don't want that) don't start screaming "The sky is falling." Your magic number is 4 (and THAT'S if Wash and Buff continue to win, no?) you will beat the Islanders. I'm 100% confident in that.

Yeah and firing Sutter and whoever else isn't the answer either. We lost five games, big deal. All teams go into slumps and unlucky stretches (just think about all the games this season where we slumped for 2 and a half periods and then stole the win), it just so happens that right now they were both colliding. I think last night showed us breaking out of our playing slump (in my opinion the team looked, for the most part, great against the Rags), but the unluckiness with the lame goal was still there. It also happens that this slump/bad luck streak has come at an inconvenient junction, right at the end of the season. But there's nothing anyone on the team can do about that except keep playing hard and eventually the breaks will start to come our way once again (they did for a lot of the season when I think about it).

I think Sutter is one of the best coaches we've had of recent, and I think it would be a mistake to get rid of him.

instead of freaking out we need to take a hard look at this team. our defense starts three career ahlers on some nights, our offense is anemic, we have a guy as captain who should not be, and yet we are still 4th in the conference. worry when marty retries but until then we are doing just fine.

I agree with the earlier thread. I think this team will be fine. No need to fire Lou or Sutter. I still think we need a proven goal scorer to take the pressure off Elias and Parise though.

vv played good last night.

Did Vish have that good of a game? I thought he punked out late in the third when Gomer gave him an extra shove behind Marty. As a matter of fact, Gomer made all of the Devs look bad in the third. He was the best player out there.

Why didn't Lou appreciate his game more?

Gomer is the one who mentions the inlfuences of both Stevens and Daneyko on his game and/or outlook. I don't hear many (any?) Devils talking like that.

Sorry, just venting. I didn't have a chance to post here last night because my home computer is shot.

Did Vish have that good of a game? I thought he punked out late in the third when Gomer gave him an extra shove behind Marty. As a matter of fact, Gomer made all of the Devs look bad in the third. He was the best player out there.

Why didn't Lou appreciate his game more?

Gomer is the one who mentions the inlfuences of both Stevens and Daneyko on his game and/or outlook. I don't hear many (any?) Devils talking like that.

Sorry, just venting. I didn't have a chance to post here last night because my home computer is shot.

I don't know if it was a lack of appreciation as much as it was the contract. He wasn't going to offer anything in that ballpark. Maybe a big number, but not the years.

I don't fault him for not attempting to sign Gomez. But I'm not opening that can of worms again. Gomez has been good this year, but to be fair, he's also playing much better against the Devils than his "day-in/day-out" play. I guess he feels slighted or something, because he plays far angrier against the Devils than anyone else. Elias challenging Chara to whip his ass kind of angry. You can see it in his face, the guy looks legit pissed off about something. Not like goofy goober Gomer.

Oh please. Vish does one thing to Gomez and he takes the minor. If anything, Gomez deserved 2 for that, but of course, no penalty called.