Caps fans & why I'm glad they lost

Satans Hockey

So I made my way down to D.C. today to see game 7. This was the first time I have been in that arena with a packed house and holy hell these new Capitals fans were the Hurricanes fans of 06.

My whole section was full of idiots who wouldn't know an icing call from an offsides call.

The lady sitting next to me was so damn annoying that I was actually glad when the Flyers scored in OT.

The arena has the same thing as the rock where you can text messages to be put up on the videoboard. I guess no one screens the comments because there was stuff like The refs must have bet on the Flyers and other wonderful things of that nature that shouldn't have been put up on the board. I took a picture of the screen as well and I'll post that later.

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-2.jpg

Another thing that really annoyed me was at the end of the game with all the idiots throwing beer bottles and other drinks and things onto the ice. They were trying to hit the Flyers players. Maybe if those Caps fans had a tiny bit of hockey intelligence they would have realized that it was a penalty and that Tom Poti actually just made a really idiotic decision to take that penalty at that point in the game.

Not once did the arena make an announcement asking people to stop throwing stuff. I didn't get to see what it looked like on tv but it was disgusting in person.

It's a shame because I actually liked this Caps team unlike that Hurricanes team but the majority of these fans were pure garbage.

There were basically no Flyers fans there which I was very surprised about because the drive isn't that far.

Here are some other pics, the game was fantastic though. It was the first time I saw a game 7 in ot in person.

enough said...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCapit.jpg

opening faceoff...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-1.jpg

I was one of the very few people not wearing red...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-3.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-4.jpg

Lupul just scored the OT winner...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-5.jpg

handshakes...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-6.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-7.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-8.jpg

Edited by Satans Hockey

Many of them are probably just on board for Ovechkin, which is fine, I mean at least they got to see some REAL talent..maybe a few of them will actually really take to the game

I can see your annoyance with people who don't know what the calls are...I mean my best friend went to a game with me before and was like, "Who decides how long a penalty is? Does the other team vote? Wharts that icing? what does that mean?" I love the guy but OMG I told him to stfu or i was gonna b!tch smack him..I can't even imagine how annoying a stranger would be!

95% of the jerseys people had were the new red AO ones. The other 5% was split between Backstrom, Semin, Green, Kolzig and Oates. That is all I saw though except for 1 jagr jersey.

The thing with D.C. though is that they aren't a new market but D.C. sports fans always suck so it's not surprising. They got a new baseball park and can't sell that thing out either.

I'm so happy that I don't have to go back down there for any more playoff games.

Edited by Satans Hockey

The thing with D.C. though is that they aren't a new market but D.C. sports fans always suck so it's not surprising. They got a new baseball park and can't sell that thing out either.

I wouldn't get on them about the nonsellouts. ... That whole glass houses thing.

;)

I live in D.C. now and made it out to about 25 games or so this season (including Games 2 and 7). The fans are mixed bag, just like every team. I made it up to the Rock one game this season and the people around me didn't know much about hockey either.

I too was shocked that they didn't make an announcement imploring the fans to cease littering the ice.

Ill take this a step further:

I am finding out that most fans at ANY arena...ANY sport....ANY city...are downright annoying.

Very true.

I'm more disappointed in the Capitals management for allowing those comments to be put up on the videobaord as well as not saying to stop throwing stuff onto the ice.

Edited by Satans Hockey

Support for the Caps has always been lukewarm(the same bandwagoners showed up in 98), and it seems like the Nationals are getting ignored as well. Not sure how the Wizards too, but the Orioles drew well into there mediocre years before fans got fed up, and the Redskins and Ravens sell out every game I think.

We want the NHL fan support to grow...but when a superstar comes along like OV and wills the Caps into the playoffs...we should complain because he is attracting all these new fans who may not be that knowledgeable? I don't get it. The NHL needs what they can get. Hopefully these fans will stay on board next season.

We want the NHL fan support to grow...but when a superstar comes along like OV and wills the Caps into the playoffs...we should complain because he is attracting all these new fans who may not be that knowledgeable? I don't get it. The NHL needs what they can get. Hopefully these fans will stay on board next season.

Agreed.

There is that holier then thou attitude with fans who's teams have been in existence since the 80's or earlier that any newbie fans are just plain old idiots and cannot be tolerated. Heaven forbid some other fans in less then desirable hockey markets get to enjoy this great game :whistling:

I'm more disappointed in the Capitals management for allowing those comments to be put up on the videobaord as well as not saying to stop throwing stuff onto the ice.

They're screened. I tried to sneak in two messages with a Flyers slant when I went down there for Game 5, and they didn't get through.

So I made my way down to D.C. today to see game 7. This was the first time I have been in that arena with a packed house and holy hell these new Capitals fans were the Hurricanes fans of 06.

My whole section was full of idiots who wouldn't know an icing call from an offsides call.

The lady sitting next to me was so damn annoying that I was actually glad when the Flyers scored in OT.

The arena has the same thing as the rock where you can text messages to be put up on the videoboard. I guess no one screens the comments because there was stuff like The refs must have bet on the Flyers and other wonderful things of that nature that shouldn't have been put up on the board. I took a picture of the screen as well and I'll post that later.

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-2.jpg

Another thing that really annoyed me was at the end of the game with all the idiots throwing beer bottles and other drinks and things onto the ice. They were trying to hit the Flyers players. Maybe if those Caps fans had a tiny bit of hockey intelligence they would have realized that it was a penalty and that Tom Poti actually just made a really idiotic decision to take that penalty at that point in the game.

Not once did the arena make an announcement asking people to stop throwing stuff. I didn't get to see what it looked like on tv but it was disgusting in person.

It's a shame because I actually liked this Caps team unlike that Hurricanes team but the majority of these fans were pure garbage.

There were basically no Flyers fans there which I was very surprised about because the drive isn't that far.

Here are some other pics, the game was fantastic though. It was the first time I saw a game 7 in ot in person.

enough said...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCapit.jpg

opening faceoff...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-1.jpg

I was one of the very few people not wearing red...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-3.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-4.jpg

Lupul just scored the OT winner...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-5.jpg

handshakes...

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-6.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-7.jpg

PhiladelphiaFlyersatWashingtonCa-8.jpg

Man i dont know.....currently living in the DC area,and every year when the devils come to town i attend the caps fans seem to be friendly and well mannered to me,yes you may have a few hecklers,but the over all enviroment in that arena seems nothing out the ordinary to me.I go every year into that building.I think the Flyers have the worse fans if anything .I wouldnt go into that dump if that was the last Arena standing

First hand I've seen crap thrown on the ice in "hockey markets" such as New Jersey, MSG, Montreal, Boston, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh and in those cities all year hear is how "passionate" the fan base is. What happened was the DC fans simply had a temper-tantrum at what was idiotic one-sided officiating not only in Game 7 but for the whole series directly leading to the Capitals losing a Game 7 to a traditional rival in Philadelphia at home. I can guarantee you that the same thing would have happened in Newark if you had one goal coming if Marty had Oduya thrown into him and the GWG in OT scored after a mediocre tripping penalty after Devorski and Koharski swallowed their whistles turning the entire 3rd period into a hack-a-thon.

As to fan loyalties in DC they're no better/worse than anywhere else in the country. DC does have the built-in disadvantage of being perhaps the biggest transient city in the country but if the Caps are playing well they will draw. They just happen to have played like utter crap for a good 5 years and it takes time for people to become interested in the sport again. I remember when the Yankees were drawing flies winning 60 games a year back in the early 90's and George was screaming about moving to Secaucus.