CMON Lecavlier

CMONPETEYD

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241633

The final touches are still being worked on and nothing can be formally announced until July 1, but sources tell TSN the Tampa Bay Lightning and superstar centre Vinny Lecavalier have agreed to terms on a mega-deal that will pay him $77 million over nine years.

9 yrs 77 mill (8.55 mill cap hit)

Edited by CMONBRENT

I don't think he wants to be...

Living in florida all year round is pretty sweet, on top of making all that money.. sounds like a good deal to me.

Plus the new owners are going to try their best to sell hockey in that area and what better way than by locking up one of the best in the game long term?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=241633

The final touches are still being worked on and nothing can be formally announced until July 1, but sources tell TSN the Tampa Bay Lightning and superstar centre Vinny Lecavalier have agreed to terms on a mega-deal that will pay him $77 million over nine years.

9 yrs 77 mill (8.55 mill cap hit)

Ouch! It will be interesting to see what they do for defense this year and also if Smith is a Full time goalie as well.

Well, he was already a rich man. If you think about it, it's not that much of an average annual increase, it's a 'lifetime' committment. Nice, for both sides if he continues to deliver for the whole contract.

He already doesn't keep all his money (and I don't just mean the federal taxes he pays). He pledged several million dollars to a new pediactric cancer facility that is under construction in FL and they are putting his name on the place. You can't ever really tell from people's public personae but he seems like a decent enough human being.

Nice one Vinny. Hate the lightning, but he clearly loves it down there.

Hopefully they get back to be being competitive again.

Lecavalier is one of my favourite players, and I love that he will be with the Lightning for his entire career. If small market teams are able to hold on to a recognizable star for 15+ years it can only help the sport.

Lecavalier is one of my favourite players, and I love that he will be with the Lightning for his entire career. If small market teams are able to hold on to a recognizable star for 15+ years it can only help the sport.

That was my thought. Much like we all want to see a Legend like Marty play his entire career in NJ, it is nice to see a team like Tampa keep a guy like Lecavalier for what seems will be his entire career. I still have visions of him going to Montreal at some point.