Brett Favre traded to the Jets

DaneykoIsGod

This sentiment irritates me because I don't think it's true. The Jets have plenty of fans and their games are widely watched. The move gets them on the back page of tabloids and generates excitement, but this move was made primarily for football reasons IMO.

not with seat licenses coming up in a bad economy. expecting people to shell out whatever exorbitant fee they're charging for that for a jets team that wasn't really going anywhere - and probably still isn't - doesn't sound good.

i think both the jets and mets have suffered from weak sister syndrome over the duration of their existence, thinking they have to compete for headlines to knock off the more established team. while you might not think that goes into the thought process, i'm sure it occurs to the men who are running the team whose jobs in part rely on that good PR - mangini and tannenbaum earned 0 points last year for their handling of the pete kendall debacle and the way they ran the team in general.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not with seat licenses coming up in a bad economy. expecting people to shell out whatever exorbitant fee they're charging for that for a jets team that wasn't really going anywhere - and probably still isn't - doesn't sound good.

i think both the jets and mets have suffered from weak sister syndrome over the duration of their existence, thinking they have to compete for headlines to knock off the more established team. while you might not think that goes into the thought process, i'm sure it occurs to the men who are running the team whose jobs in part rely on that good PR - mangini and tannenbaum earned 0 points last year for their handling of the pete kendall debacle and the way they ran the team in general.

Oh, they'll get the seat license money, Favre or no Favre. There's enough dopes (er, fans) out there who can't say no, even for a franchise that does more losing than winning. The corporate buyers will step up anyway.

The Pete Kendall thing was handled terribly. You could label it a PR disaster but that turned out to be a bad football move, too, because his replacement was awful and the team suffered on the field because of it. If Kendall was replaced and the O-line did well, the incident would have been quickly forgotten.

It's all about gettin' it done on the field. That's what the jobs of Mr. T and Mangini are riding on.

Edited by Jerrydevil

Favre Jets jerseys selling through the roof yesterday. Over 3,200 jerseys were sold in the first day and expect to see just as many today. Modells has been selling them and have be sold out in some of the stores already. the report was just on ESPN News. Looks like Favre merchandising has not taken a loss at all as it has gone through the roof now selling better than ever. Plus with him on the front cover of Madden as a Packer is more merchandising for Favre and the downloads of him on the cover in a Jets uniform.

The Jets better bleed the Favre hype dry now cause they may well be 0-3 to start the season :P Playing the Dolphins at Miami was bad enough in Week 1 now with Chad it just got tougher. And the Patriots for the home opener the following week, and at San Diego on MNF (though we usually handle the Chargers).

I'm calling it now the Pats will lose to the Jets week 2!!!

and it might be the best thing to happen to the Pats... you put behind you this undefeated nonsense and concentrate on taking names and the Pats might be a pain in the neck again this year :P

The Jets better bleed the Favre hype dry now cause they may well be 0-3 to start the season :P Playing the Dolphins at Miami was bad enough in Week 1 now with Chad it just got tougher. And the Patriots for the home opener the following week, and at San Diego on MNF (though we usually handle the Chargers).

Yeah but the Pats can't film the Jets defensive signals this time (cheat) the Jets are my second team after Romo's gang. I hope the Jets crush em, and blast the career cheapshot late hit artist Harrison, I can't stand that dirty sob.

Yeah but the Pats can't film the Jets defensive signals this time (cheat) the Jets are my second team after Romo's gang. I hope the Jets crush em, and blast the career cheapshot late hit artist Harrison, I can't stand that dirty sob.

Either way the Pats usually b-tchslap us at the Meadowlands, the only times we do beat them ironically are at Foxboro.

:giggle:

Favre Jets jerseys have sold over the 21,000 mark in the first 48 hours. :blink: They sold over 3,200 the first day online @ NFLShop.com.

Wow New York fans being fickle and jumping on a bandwagon??

NEVER would I have thought it :P

Yeah really. :P

Average ticket prices on Stub Hub for Jets tickets were $138 and now with Favre there they are $253.

The Jets better suck all the hype out of this they can, with games at Miami and San Diego sandwiching the NE home opener almost ensuring a subpar start. Actually the Jets' schedule looks a little like the Mets' with FOUR seperate West Coast trips (Seattle, SF, Oakland, SD) :blink:

:giggle:

Favre Jets jerseys have sold over the 21,000 mark in the first 48 hours. :blink: They sold over 3,200 the first day online @ NFLShop.com.

Oh good, now they can do away with the PSL's. (I kid).

The Jets better suck all the hype out of this they can, with games at Miami and San Diego sandwiching the NE home opener almost ensuring a subpar start.

Can't wait for the week five "We want Kellen" chants.

Not sure if anyone read the scathing analysis by the WSJ on the Favre deal:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB121...html?mod=sports

"Let's strip the Brett-to-the-Jets deal of the illusions the media has wrapped it in. What we have is a 4-12 team that has signed a 38-year-old quarterback who, though he made something of a comeback last season, hasn't otherwise finished in the top five of the league's passers since 2001. (In 2006 he was ranked 25th; in 2005, 31st.).

From 2005 to 2007, Mr. Favre has thrown 66 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions. If any other NFL quarterback had put up those numbers, his job would be on the line; instead, the New York Jets have chosen to delay the inevitable process of breaking in a new young quarterback -- and in fact have released Chad Pennington, who, according to Kerry Byrne of the Web site Cold Hard Football Facts, is "maybe the most underrated quarterback in the NFL."

Wow, can't disagree with a lot of what he said...

hell I've been saying it a lot myself too :P

the Jets will be better because of a billon dollar O-Line and running game, not because of an aging quarteback who makes the wrong play at the right time more often then not

(I'm just dreading week 1 and the 5 million Favre jerseys the Fraud Jet fans will have!)

Yeah lets be realistic, Pennington, when healthy is a good QB..he drives the bus well to use a "tunalogy" but he's far from spectacular...the Jets young QB's aren't ready and would be better served watching a solid vet do the work for another year...so it became a two part thinking process, have a decent chance to win and make as much money as possible doing it....in this regard Brett is the perfect fit....they hype (as you can already tell) is going to be bringing in mad revenue and the wins..they'll come or they won't...fact is, Brett brings excitement and regardless of his TD to INT ratio he can do things in a game that can make a team win when they shouldn't and in the past had he thrown that untimely INT his team either bailed him out or was bad enough where it overshadowed the pick....not sure the Jet's will be able to do it that way but I'm sure that's the thought behind it all....

Not sure if anyone read the scathing analysis by the WSJ on the Favre deal:

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB121...html?mod=sports

"Let's strip the Brett-to-the-Jets deal of the illusions the media has wrapped it in. What we have is a 4-12 team that has signed a 38-year-old quarterback who, though he made something of a comeback last season, hasn't otherwise finished in the top five of the league's passers since 2001. (In 2006 he was ranked 25th; in 2005, 31st.).

From 2005 to 2007, Mr. Favre has thrown 66 touchdown passes and 62 interceptions. If any other NFL quarterback had put up those numbers, his job would be on the line; instead, the New York Jets have chosen to delay the inevitable process of breaking in a new young quarterback -- and in fact have released Chad Pennington, who, according to Kerry Byrne of the Web site Cold Hard Football Facts, is "maybe the most underrated quarterback in the NFL."

and if any QB had his offensive line, average running game, or mediocre wide receivers (until last season) - they'd be asked to do the same thing.

chad pennington isn't underrated. that's a lot of nonsense. he was, when he could at least throw a reasonably deep pass. now, not so much.

the favre move isn't that good. odds are the jets still go 7-9 or 8-8 or 9-7. but it creates some buzz for a team that needs it.