Claude Lemieux... RETURNING?!

Cowutopia

that's EXACTLY what the coyotes did with claude lemieux, so what is your point?

lemieux's a lock not to make the team either by this logic.

petr nedved was arguably the worst player in the league when he left the NHL, why should things be any different?

The difference is I'm not getting wet thinking about getting Nedved back on my team. Quite the contrary from what I see here about good ol' Claude. Wishing to have a washed-up NHLer come out of retirement is quite funny.

oh and you offered shanahan a tryout but he refused.

Ok. Not sure where this one is going :blink: I like Shanny, but we have no use for him on this team anymore.

as for holik, he's an upgrade over rod pelley (whose nhl future is dubious), and he's going to play the 4th line. big deal.

Big deal? All I see is how Bobby Holik is going to protect Brodeur and he's going to fight (Holik fighting? :lol: ), etc.

I love these boards. I agree with one of your posters (DevilinLA) and then I get quite a few "snappy" comments, like what I said somehow was insulting. :hi:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess you must go cheer on punch-drunk boxers and debilitated offensive linemen too. Every athlete must be the best judge of when he's still got it. I'm sure the 5 years off transformed Claude back into a 20-25 goal scorer, too.

Fine, I shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion, you're right. But some times people should just leave when it's time to go, and Claude did, 5 years ago. One season in the NHL as a 4th line grinder might prove something to him, but why does he need that?

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think saying with an affirmative "he is done, he can't play" when you don't know, or anyone know for that matter, what he's got lest until he goes out there and shows us if he's got it or not, is just wrong.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I think saying with an affirmative "he is done, he can't play" when you don't know, or anyone know for that matter, what he's got lest until he goes out there and shows us if he's got it or not, is just wrong.

Claude couldn't get signed in 2003, so he went to Switzerland and played there for 7 games.

It's 5 years later.

Steve Carlton pitched for the Twins, and Jim Palmer attempted a comeback at 44, and Willie Mays played for the Mets, and who can forget Guy Lafleur's comeback with a woeful Quebec Nordiques team? If he comes back he won't be Claude Lemieux, just some old guy who's grinding it out on the 4th line.

The good news for himself and all of us is that he almost certainly won't make it.

I'm a huge Pepe fan and I say if he feels he can still play, why not let him earn a spot on someone's roster. I understand he might be taking a spot where a younger player can play, but if he manages to out play someone, why not?

Wow, I hope Claude is alright. He was always one of my (and a lot of other Devils fans') favorites. I wonder if Lou would consider reaching out to him. Not to sign him as a player, but to have him help out with the organization in some way, whether it be in Lowell or with the big club. Lou is good at keeping tabs on Devils alumni and bringing them back into the fold.

As much as I loved him as a player, this is one of the biggest asses of the hockey community. He lives out here in Phoenix and is at the ice rinks for his kid and everyone who know him, including myself, know him to be one of the worst type of person you would want around a team. Do not bring him to the Devs front office!

The difference is I'm not getting wet thinking about getting Nedved back on my team. Quite the contrary from what I see here about good ol' Claude. Wishing to have a washed-up NHLer come out of retirement is quite funny.

Ok. Not sure where this one is going :blink:I like Shanny, but we have no use for him on this team anymore.

Ha, just like Jagr has no place on the team??

As much as I loved him as a player, this is one of the biggest asses of the hockey community. He lives out here in Phoenix and is at the ice rinks for his kid and everyone who know him, including myself, know him to be one of the worst type of person you would want around a team. Do not bring him to the Devs front office!

He's that bad a guy, huh? I didn't know that. I mean, I knew he could be a pest on the ice, but ...

When he was with the Devs, did his teammates hate him? If so, I don't remember reading about it.

He's that bad a guy, huh? I didn't know that. I mean, I knew he could be a pest on the ice, but ...

When he was with the Devs, did his teammates hate him? If so, I don't remember reading about it.

In Ross Bernstein's book, "The Code," there's a great anecdote from Mike Peluso about how he thought Claude was the biggest piece of crap on the planet ... until he played with him. After playing alongside him he came to learn Pepe wasn't such a bad guy after all. I loaned out my copy of the book so I can't re-type the story, but it was hilarious. Anyone have that?

I don't understand how they let Jagr go, to replace him (essentially) with Naslund. Jagr, especially at the moments, is a much better player. He also made the players around him better, I expect Dubinsky to have a drop off in points without Jagr making things happen for him.

I'm not sold on Naslund to be honest. But Jagr's numbers were not impressive last year whatsoever (though in playoffs he was remarkable).

I must respectfully disagree with you on Dubinksky. Personally, I thought he was trying too hard to find Jagr. Preseason is preseason so I'm not going to tell you that I'm "impressed" with Dubi. I didn't think we clicked last year to be perfectly honest and that we were too much on Jagr's coattails. And you saw the powerplay last season: Jagr's first line was atrocious (sadly, both teams can relate to our pp :unsure: )

Only time will tell if it works or not. I'm not saying I'm against or disagree with the Naslund move. I am just saying I'm not entirely sold.

Redden? *shudders* No, sir.

No hate against the Rangers but I feel they are the 4th best team in the conference behind New Jersey, Philly and Pittsburgh.

No hate there, broski. You may very well be right. I've been waiting how many years for the devils to collapse into nothingness with your roster.

I fail every year.

I'm not just saying this because it's my team. But I am "for" the move to shift from Jagr's team. Which is what we've done. We'll see if it works. It really is a hit or miss, there are simply too many variables: will we gel? Will we be healthy? We'll just see.

Only time will tell if it works or not. I'm not saying I'm against or disagree with the Naslund move. I am just saying I'm not entirely sold.

Redden? *shudders* No, sir.

What should concern NYR fans the most about all 3 major pickups (Naslund, Zherdev and Redden) is that the teams that let them go weren't exactly heartbroken to have them leave or talked about how tough it is to replace them. Usually, that's not a good sign. All 3 were essentailly given the door out of town by management and the fans were more then happy to pack their bags.

Dubinsky looks like the real deal, but we as Devils fans said the same thing about Zajac in year 1 too. The special young players avoid that sophomore jinx like a Parise, so we'll see what Dubinsky does given more of a responsibility.

Dubinsky looks like the real deal, but we as Devils fans said the same thing about Zajac in year 1 too. The special young players avoid that sophomore jinx like a Parise, so we'll see what Dubinsky does given more of a responsibility.

Which doesn't mean you can't be a special player if you had a sophomore slump. Time will tell about Zajac. This is going to be an extremely important season for Travis.

No hate against the Rangers but I feel they are the 4th best team in the conference behind New Jersey, Philly and Pittsburgh.

Atlantic teams are going to rock again this year. :boogie:

Big deal? All I see is how Bobby Holik is going to protect Brodeur and he's going to fight (Holik fighting? :lol: ), etc.

Sorry to say folks, but he's bang on there. I don't know why people have been saying Holik is going to fight. He's always been more like Claude, stick/elbow a guy then refuse to drop them or turtle. He's had 13 fights in 17 years. I remember when Holik left the Devils the players said off the record that they were happy he was gone so they wouldn't have to practice with him anymore because he practices the same way he plays. Holik's not nearly as dirty a player as Lemieux was, but he certainly doesn't always stay within the rules.

Lemieux is getting a try-out with the Coyotes because he and Gretzky are good friends and neighbours in Phoenix.