Darwindog

Which would you remove from the game?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. What I'd get rid of with my one hockey yuletide wish

• Fighting
    • The shootout
    • Hmeh -- just leave it "as is"
    • The "Instigator" penalty
    • Other (because someone ALWAYS wants to add their 2 cents)
    • Sean Avery

I'm surprised at how many people wanna see the shootout go. Didn't think it was this unpopular. Sure, it's a skills competition and doesn't keep with the spirit of the team aspect of the game. But it's an exciting way to bring tied games to a conclusion. Ties suck. I spend probably too much of my limited funds on Devils games, and I'd rather pay to see a loss that ends with an exciting skills competition than a tie.

Ties suck

Get rid of the instigator, ridiculously large goalie pads, the trapezoid and the New York Rangers. The world will be a a better place.

I'm surprised at how many people wanna see the shootout go. Didn't think it was this unpopular. Sure, it's a skills competition and doesn't keep with the spirit of the team aspect of the game. But it's an exciting way to bring tied games to a conclusion. Ties suck. I spend probably too much of my limited funds on Devils games, and I'd rather pay to see a loss that ends with an exciting skills competition than a tie.

Ties suck

Get rid of the instigator, ridiculously large goalie pads, the trapezoid and the New York Rangers. The world will be a a better place.

I won't deny that there's an excitement factor, as much as I hate it. But it's like you say...it's a skills competition and it doesn't keep with the spirit of the team aspect. Teams are getting bonus points out of this nonsense...crucial points that can decide whether or not a team even gets in the playoffs, and whether or not a team gets home-ice advantage if they're in. A skills competition deciding that?! The Rangers are this year's prime example...without the phantom goals awarded to shootout winners, they're getting outscored this year, yet somehow thanks to an 8-1 record in a friggin' SKILLS COMPETITION they find themselves with a 21-11-2 record? Have the Rangers played anywhere near as well as that record would suggest? Of course not.

Sorry, I gotta take a real tie over a fake win and loss.

I won't deny that there's an excitement factor, as much as I hate it. But it's like you say...it's a skills competition and it doesn't keep with the spirit of the team aspect. Teams are getting bonus points out of this nonsense...crucial points that can decide whether or not a team even gets in the playoffs, and whether or not a team gets home-ice advantage if they're in. A skills competition deciding that?! The Rangers are this year's prime example...without the phantom goals awarded to shootout winners, they're getting outscored this year, yet somehow thanks to an 8-1 record in a friggin' SKILLS COMPETITION they find themselves with a 21-11-2 record? Have the Rangers played anywhere near as well as that record would suggest? Of course not.

Sorry, I gotta take a real tie over a fake win and loss.

You make very good points, but allow me to play devil's advocate here.

I'm willing to bet that when the red line was introduced to hockey, there were purists who thought it was a radical alteration to the game and that it wasn't "real" hockey anymore. The same can be said for all sorts of rule changes, from the introduction of the forward pass to the trapezoid. I mean, who knows how many points that stupid quadrilateral has cost us over these past few years, not allowing Marty to use arguably his greatest skill?

I know, it's a stretch to compare all of this to the shootout. But the point I'm trying to make is that throughout the history of the game things have been introduced to hockey and they've gradually become accepted as part of the game. The shootout has been with us for a few years now, certainly teams have had enough time to adapt. Enough time to allow players to find their niche within the shootout, to spend time practicing it the same way they practice power plays or odd man rushes.

In the first year or two, the shootout could easily be written off as a skills competition that the team with the flashier players would win. But now it's been a part of the game long enough that the better prepared team will win it ... the team that studies goaltenders' and shooters' habits better and does a better job of practicing.

Right?

You make very good points, but allow me to play devil's advocate here.

I'm willing to bet that when the red line was introduced to hockey, there were purists who thought it was a radical alteration to the game and that it wasn't "real" hockey anymore. The same can be said for all sorts of rule changes, from the introduction of the forward pass to the trapezoid. I mean, who knows how many points that stupid quadrilateral has cost us over these past few years, not allowing Marty to use arguably his greatest skill?

The big difference here is, while those constitute some big changes, at least they're happening within the context of 10 skaters and two goalies taking the ice. The shootout is so all-together out-of-context and radical.

I know, it's a stretch to compare all of this to the shootout. But the point I'm trying to make is that throughout the history of the game things have been introduced to hockey and they've gradually become accepted as part of the game. The shootout has been with us for a few years now, certainly teams have had enough time to adapt. Enough time to allow players to find their niche within the shootout, to spend time practicing it the same way they practice power plays or odd man rushes.

In the first year or two, the shootout could easily be written off as a skills competition that the team with the flashier players would win. But now it's been a part of the game long enough that the better prepared team will win it ... the team that studies goaltenders' and shooters' habits better and does a better job of practicing.

Right?

Clearly there are ways to try to better yourself, as a shooter or a goalie, in the art of the shootout. In his book, Marty talks about how he's constantly studying shooters (even their eyes), and always working at ways to make subtle changes to his shootout game as to keep shooters guessing.

I think it still has very much a crapshoot feel to it though, preparations aside. And I'm sure no team out there takes it lightly, as so many potential points are up for grabs.

I understand the viewpoint you're trying to convey here, but I'll just never be able to get behind points being awarded this way. So long as PLAYOFF games never go to shootouts (I cringe whenever it's brought up), I'll live with shootouts, only because they're likely here to stay. But let's face it, there will be teams that are better at playing the true team game of hockey for 60 to 65 minutes a night who will find themselves on the outside looking in because some team did just well enough in some ancillary skills competition to pull ahead. THAT'S why I can't embrace this thing.

The big difference here is, while those constitute some big changes, at least they're happening within the context of 10 skaters and two goalies taking the ice. The shootout is so all-together out-of-context and radical.

And this is exactly why the purists will never get behind the shootout. Hit the nail on the head.

Clearly there are ways to try to better yourself, as a shooter or a goalie, in the art of the shootout. In his book, Marty talks about how he's constantly studying shooters (even their eyes), and always working at ways to make subtle changes to his shootout game as to keep shooters guessing.

I think it still has very much a crapshoot feel to it though, preparations aside. And I'm sure no team out there takes it lightly, as so many potential points are up for grabs.

I understand the viewpoint you're trying to convey here, but I'll just never be able to get behind points being awarded this way. So long as PLAYOFF games never go to shootouts (I cringe whenever it's brought up), I'll live with shootouts, only because they're likely here to stay. But let's face it, there will be teams that are better at playing the true team game of hockey for 60 to 65 minutes a night who will find themselves on the outside looking in because some team did just well enough in some ancillary skills competition to pull ahead. THAT'S why I can't embrace this thing.

Couldn't agree more. Multiple overtimes is a big part of why playoff hockey is so amazing. Thankfully, I don't think we'll ever see a shootout in the playoffs. :pray:

I honestly wonder how big of a difference the shootout has made in the playoff races since it's been adopted. I've got a ton of free time on my hands, so maybe I'll actually look into it in the coming days. But I'd be surprised if teams have actually missed the playoffs because another team was better in the shootout.

Plus, like squishyx mentioned numerous times in the 3-2-1-0 points system thread, it's hard to say teams would play the same way if there were different rules. A team that's good in the shootout (like the Rangers) might play a shutdown style through OT for a better chance to get to the shootout, i.e. their strong point. Without the shootout, who knows how those overtimes would play out and how those points would be awarded. Tough to say, really ... it's pure hypotheticals.

I will say it for the elevendy-billionth time... TEN MINUTE FOUR ON FOUR OVERTIMES!!!! This will create more excitement since four on four is awesome.... ten minutes will make shootouts less likely and maybe more special!

I have been saying the 10-minute OT period with 4 on 4 someone is bound to score at a high percentage with all the open ice. Get rid of the SO and have the 10-minute OT with the 4 on 4. If it is still a tie, then leave it as a tie game. Go back to the 2-point system and bring back the ties. The 'new' NHL will never do that though.

I have been saying the 10-minute OT period with 4 on 4 someone is bound to score at a high percentage with all the open ice. Get rid of the SO and have the 10-minute OT with the 4 on 4. If it is still a tie, then leave it as a tie game. Go back to the 2-point system and bring back the ties. The 'new' NHL will never do that though.

The problem with having 10 minute OT's is that it is way too tiring. For instance lets go over our 4 on 4 forward combos.

Elias-Parise

Zajac-Langs

Gio-Zubrus

Madden-Rolston

If they had 10 minute OTs these people would get tired because of the fast paced style.

The problem with having 10 minute OT's is that it is way too tiring. For instance lets go over our 4 on 4 forward combos.

Elias-Parise

Zajac-Langs

Gio-Zubrus

Madden-Rolston

If they had 10 minute OTs these people would get tired because of the fast paced style.

Then you use your other 4 forwards.

I was picking between Avery and the instigator. But I picked the instigator because it improves the game. since Avery would be gone anyway, so I voted for the instigator penalty rule.

Well, a vote for the instigator is a vote for Avery since, you know, he is an instigator.

Go ahead, boo me, I know that was bad. :evil:

The games are almost too long now, but I guess a 10 minute 4 on 4 would work for me. Get rid of the shootout.

Is the Instigator rule that big of a deal? Or is it not liked just because?

I would get rid of the trapezoid ( Not the trap! :P) Well, get rid of it when Marty gets back. Not sure I relish ( hmmm, relish) the thought of Clems out there in no man's land.