Madison Square Garden

njdevil26

http://msg.com/renovation/

Take a look at this... they are planning to spend 500 million dollars this offseason renovating MSG and they are saying tit will be done by 2011 and they won't miss a Rangers or Knicks game... interesting to see how this turns out.

Well, it definitely needed it, no question. Especially with the Prudential Center making the current MSG building look that much more dated.

The poor Islanders...talk about a team that needs a new building in the worst way.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's just interesting to think about. The Prudential Center cost between 300 and 400 million right? And the place is a PALACE. They are spending at least 500 million without constructing a new building... and without screwing with the basketball and hockey seasons... this is going to be interesting to see how they will pull this off.

It's just interesting to think about. The Prudential Center cost between 300 and 400 million right? And the place is a PALACE. They are spending at least 500 million without constructing a new building... and without screwing with the basketball and hockey seasons... this is going to be interesting to see how they will pull this off.

I'm wondering this myself. Clearly it's a take-a-step-back-to-take-several-steps-forward proposition, but I get the feeling the next two seasons at MSG are going to be pretty miserable. For everyone.

Well, they have the summer months to mess about with it. So it looks like the Liberty will be playing more games at Radio City or outdoors.

It seems what they are doing to increase the width of the concourses is to take down the walls to those mysterious rooms across from the concessions. That's about the only way I can explain it.

Also, the press box is being moved 'over the ice' as explained to me by Steve Zipay. So, seating areas that are currently being occupied by the press will now be for spectators.

It looks pretty cool. And, as is the sentiment here, it's needed.

It usually costs more to renovate than to build anew. Granted they already have the land but they are pretty much gutting the entire thing. The costs are going to be high and doing it in Manhattan without closing the arena? Yea, that's gonna take a chunk out of your pocket.

Still, this should be attractive.

I'm wondering this myself. Clearly it's a take-a-step-back-to-take-several-steps-forward proposition, but I get the feeling the next two seasons at MSG are going to be pretty miserable. For everyone.

Sometimes renovations cost more than new but they may have no other option

Sometimes renovations cost more than new but they may have no other option

The cost isn't what I was referring to...it is New York, after all. It's more about wondering how they're going to get this done with the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty (not sure how many home games they play in a season) and all of the other events the building hosts. Like I said, at the very least the next couple of seasons are probably going to be pretty miserable for everyone involved...I'm sure the payoff is going to be huge though.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

Get ready for your cable bill to go up again. It's bad enough to hate the Rangers and Knicks but the fact my cable bill helps Dolan piss money away makes it even worse.

get directv instead and stop giving the dolans your cash.

i got rid of comcast and got directv and have no regrets.

If they weren't going to build another building in another location (doubtful, I think they like being right above Penn Station), and they couldn't knock this one down and start again (because they would have had to find alternate homes for the teams while they were doing it - and that would actually cost them things like rent to another facility, concession and advertising dollars that they wouldn't get while the place isn't open, etc) then renovation it is and it often does cost more to try and renovate something than to start again.

i think they wanted to obtain the building directly to the west, an old post office, i think.

that wouldve been so sick. it wouldve had the feel of an "old time" arena on the outside.

The post office was/is supposed to be New Penn Station (not sure if that is still happening though they are doing tons fo work over there). I think that move would have facilitated a larger renovation of MSG.

The cost isn't what I was referring to...it is New York, after all. It's more about wondering how they're going to get this done with the Knicks, Rangers, Liberty (not sure how many home games they play in a season) and all of the other events the building hosts. Like I said, at the very least the next couple of seasons are probably going to be pretty miserable for everyone involved...I'm sure the payoff is going to be huge though.

What exactly do you mean by that ?