Trade Deadline Talk

devilsrule33

NHL Trade Deadline  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see the Devils do at the deadline?

• Get a big time defenseman (Niedermayer, Pronger, Bouwmeester)
    • Go after a good PP QB (Kaberle, Schneider)
    • Depth defender (Havelid, Leopald)
    • Something in between (Liles,Kuba)
    • Top 6 Forward
    • Depth Forward
    • Get something in return for one of our goalies
    • Trade Pandolfo to anyone who might be willing to take on that contract (no matter how bad the return is)
    • Do nothing (This team is good enough and it be too costly to improve our team this year)
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to give up to get a top defender?

• 1st round pick, top prospect, and a roster player like Clarkson
    • No 1st round pick, but either Bergfors or Corrente and a roster player like Clarkson or Oduya
    • No roster player but a 1st round pick and a prospect
    • No prospect but multiple picks and a roster player like Clarkson
    • Only multiple picks and guys like Halischuk and Salmela
    • Nothing, I don't think we should trade for one
    • A lot, but only if it was for a defenseman who isn't a UFA like Pronger or Kaberle
  3. 3. Keeping in mind how few players there are out on the market, would you giveup a 1st round pick for a solid, albeit not a great defenseman (like the Avalanche did last year for Foote)?

• Yes
    • No
    • No but I would give up a 2nd rounder and say a 5th for a depth defendenseman (like the Penguins did for Hal Gill
  4. 4. Finally, if the Devils didn't do anything at the deadline how would you feel?

• Perfectly fine (The Devils are getting the best deadline pickup anyway in Brodeur)
    • Disappointed but if the prices were too high, I would understand
    • Disappointed, this team is very good, but have a few holes to fill, and this is the year Lou should go for it

I find it too hard to make vauge generalities about trade ideas.

I hope the Devils make any and all deals that make sense and don't do any deals that doesn't make sense, whether they're for major or minor players, and whether they involve prospects, roster players, or draft picks.

Boring...I mean sure...that is what we all want. But what makes sense for some, doesn't make sense for others.

The Devils aren't going to make any deals that don't make sense. I can't remember them ever doing something that made fans scratch their heads. Maybe it was the deal they didn't do that had people confused. I'm just asking what do people think we need. Is our "no name" defense as most people around the league call it enough to win a Cup in the playoffs? Should the team go after a big name defenseman? These are all fair questions that are worth asking.

I always like how Lou never tips his hand, which makes trade deadline day one of the most exciting for Devils fans. You have no idea what the hell he is going to do.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want to get over the facet that a "name" player brings sucess.

Some people here are in that mindset.

Tell me last TD day was anyone thinking Bryce Salvador????? Yet look at the results.

Instantly adding a big name player doesn't necessarily make this a better team, it has to be the right fit with chemistry.

ESPECIALLY in NJ!!!

I mean seriously, we are where we are w/Weekes and Clemmenson!!!

People were calling for anything from Dwayne Roloson to Garon to Kahvibulin...yet Lou and Brent knew best.

Moral of the story - don't ask for a big name just for the sake of - SOMEONE....

Pronger or Neidermeyer could totally be wrong for this locker room (I'm speculating)...who knows???

After the Salvador steal, the blossoming of Mottau, I'm confident in Lou and Brent to make the best decision.

Someone who knows better then me; how much would each of the Cauncks defenders cost?

Ohlund

Bieksa

Mitchell

Elder

Salo

i don't see the canucks making any deals where they are trading defensemen.

DevinLA - yeah i saw the salvador results. the devils were thumped in the 1st round. if you're talking about this season, new jersey signed salvador as a UFA and he's been pretty good.

the only season where lou traded major roster players for major roster players at the deadline was 2001-02. every other year he has either added guys for fringe players/prospects/draft picks. that's why even if they were available, i think lou isn't keen on acquiring pronger, bouwmeester, or niedermayer - it takes players a while to adapt to new teams. all else being equal, of course i'd love to have pronger over martin, say. but i don't think i would love to have pronger added in march for a martin that's been here all season - that is a large gamble that pronger will fit right in. this is something i'd love to see a study done about over the last 20 years - players' expected production on new teams vs. actual production.

Colorado is almost out of it. They have a big decision, bail on this season and become sellers at the dead line or keep trying to fight for a PS in a tight western conference.

I would trade Gionta and clemmensen for Hejduk.

or maybe trade for leopold

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=COL

DevinLA - yeah i saw the salvador results. the devils were thumped in the 1st round. if you're talking about this season, new jersey signed salvador as a UFA and he's been pretty good.

of course i'd love to have pronger over martin, say.

Salvador was hurt when he got here last season. Also Pronger over Martin? Martin is in his 5th season and keeps getting better every year. Why get rid of him?

Part of me thinks the team is fine as is and the other part thinks we might need a little something extra to put us over the top. The question is can we get that little extra something without upsetting the chemistry that is already in place?

you took the words right out of my mouth

We need someone who can be a depth defender and that could at least bring something even if its not big on the PP.But we need to keep the chemistry as it is right now because we are winning because of that chemistry.I think Lou know how to keep this chemistry if he make a move so if he don't find that someone who keep the chemistry and add something to the D he is not going to move.

I think people are taking the chemistry issue way to far. All we are looking for is to get Andy Greene out of the lineup. Benching Pandolfo, who seems to be a locker room favorite, would've impacted team chemistry a lot more than taking Andy friggen Greene out of the lineup and bringing in a bottom 3 defensemen.

I think people are taking the chemistry issue way to far. All we are looking for is to get Andy Greene out of the lineup. Benching Pandolfo, who seems to be a locker room favorite, would've impacted team chemistry a lot more than taking Andy friggen Greene out of the lineup and bringing in a bottom 3 defensemen.

i think you're confusing locker room chemistry with team chemistry. pandolfo looked awful out on the ice.

there's clearly a lot of people who think that the devils should get a top defender and are unconcerned about the possibility of him fitting in. when i talk of chemistry, i don't mean in the locker room - i mean knowing where your teammates are going to be on the ice.

i think you're confusing locker room chemistry with team chemistry. pandolfo looked awful out on the ice.

there's clearly a lot of people who think that the devils should get a top defender and are unconcerned about the possibility of him fitting in. when i talk of chemistry, i don't mean in the locker room - i mean knowing where your teammates are going to be on the ice.

Ah, I see. All I'm talking about is trading for somebody that could replace Greene. A Lukowich type deal. (Come to speak of it, he would be perfect for the 3rd pair right now) Anybody that can get Greene off the ice I would welcome.

Based on what?

His last game was actually pretty good, but when you only have one or two games to evaluate in the last 10 or so - what do you want?

A lot of our depth forwards are old, its not going to take much for anyone to miss a few games. Pando is a fine insurance policy.

Pandolfo did NOT look awful last night.

Trust me. If the Devils get Niedermayer or Pronger I bet they'll fit in fine. I understand you don't wanna ruin the chemistry but removing Greene and adding Pronger won't do anything to the teams chemistry. I actually think that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in months.

What D would you rather have in a game 7 against Caps or Bruins: Salvador-Pronger, Martin-Oduya, White-Mottau or Martin-Oduya, White-Mottau, Salvador-Greene? Don't bother answering.

If all it takes is picks and prospects to get Pronger or Niedermayer I think Lou has to do it. Depending on what the picks and prospects are of course.

Pandolfo did NOT look awful last night.

Trust me. If the Devils get Niedermayer or Pronger I bet they'll fit in fine. I understand you don't wanna ruin the chemistry but removing Greene and adding Pronger won't do anything to the teams chemistry. I actually think that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in months.

What D would you rather have in a game 7 against Caps or Bruins: Salvador-Pronger, Martin-Oduya, White-Mottau or Martin-Oduya, White-Mottau, Salvador-Greene? Don't bother answering.

If all it takes is picks and prospects to get Pronger or Niedermayer I think Lou has to do it. Depending on what the picks and prospects are of course.

+1.

Pandolfo was just fine last night.

Pronger and Niedermayer > ANY of the current Devils defensemans.

Hopefully it will be Niedermayer to be the final piece of this team to make the SC run.