Trade Deadline Talk

devilsrule33

NHL Trade Deadline  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What would you like to see the Devils do at the deadline?

• Get a big time defenseman (Niedermayer, Pronger, Bouwmeester)
    • Go after a good PP QB (Kaberle, Schneider)
    • Depth defender (Havelid, Leopald)
    • Something in between (Liles,Kuba)
    • Top 6 Forward
    • Depth Forward
    • Get something in return for one of our goalies
    • Trade Pandolfo to anyone who might be willing to take on that contract (no matter how bad the return is)
    • Do nothing (This team is good enough and it be too costly to improve our team this year)
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to give up to get a top defender?

• 1st round pick, top prospect, and a roster player like Clarkson
    • No 1st round pick, but either Bergfors or Corrente and a roster player like Clarkson or Oduya
    • No roster player but a 1st round pick and a prospect
    • No prospect but multiple picks and a roster player like Clarkson
    • Only multiple picks and guys like Halischuk and Salmela
    • Nothing, I don't think we should trade for one
    • A lot, but only if it was for a defenseman who isn't a UFA like Pronger or Kaberle
  3. 3. Keeping in mind how few players there are out on the market, would you giveup a 1st round pick for a solid, albeit not a great defenseman (like the Avalanche did last year for Foote)?

• Yes
    • No
    • No but I would give up a 2nd rounder and say a 5th for a depth defendenseman (like the Penguins did for Hal Gill
  4. 4. Finally, if the Devils didn't do anything at the deadline how would you feel?

• Perfectly fine (The Devils are getting the best deadline pickup anyway in Brodeur)
    • Disappointed but if the prices were too high, I would understand
    • Disappointed, this team is very good, but have a few holes to fill, and this is the year Lou should go for it

Alright we are just a few weeks away from the NHL Trade Deadline, so why not speculate what Lou might do, and discuss what we would like to see happen and how much you'd be willing to give up. I asked a whole bunch of questions just to get a feel for how the board feels.

At this point the market seems very slim with way more buyers than sellers. Right now there is only 7 teams that look done for sure. The west is wide open, and you would expect a lot of those teams to try and get some help to get in the playoffs. In the East there are a few teams that are falling fast with very high expectations (Rangers, Penguins, Habs), and I would expect both teams will pay a high price to change their fortunes around.

Hard to read what GMs might do, but we will probably see teams giving up way too much for guys like Flip Kuba.

Edited by devilsrule33

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I say 75% chance we do nothing, 15% chance we make a minor deal for a minor D-man involving some sort of non-roster player (picks or prospect), 10% chance we make a deal for a big puck-moving D-man, shelling out a roster player or two along with the pick/prospect dealies. I really think Lou does nothing though.

How come there is no option for this board's typical trade? A bag of pucks for an elite player and a top 3 overall pick in the draft? :P

I see a typical Lou move a minor trade for a player many here will say "Is that it?" and "WTF?"

Edited by Rock

haha, i like how no one is willing to give up a 1st, prospect, and clarkson, yet 8 people want a top defender.

interesting poll. i do think many things are working towards there not being that many moves at this year's deadline and made a post about it a month or so ago. if the devils got a guy to knock greene out of the lineup, i'd be fine with it, but i'm not giving up corrente or any non-greene roster player. the devils have an excess of depth-y players at the AHL level - guys who are unlikely to be top-line players but could be useful parts to someone. i think a 2nd and one of these guys (zharkov, eckford) will get it done for anyone we might want.

Edited by Triumph

haha, i like how no one is willing to give up a 1st, prospect, and clarkson, yet 8 people want a top defender.

interesting poll. i do think many things are working towards there not being that many moves at this year's deadline and made a post about it a month or so ago. if the devils got a guy to knock greene out of the lineup, i'd be fine with it, but i'm not giving up corrente or any non-greene roster player. the devils have an excess of depth-y players at the AHL level - guys who are unlikely to be top-line players but could be useful parts to someone. i think a 2nd and one of these guys (zharkov, eckford) will get it done for anyone we might want.

Yeah but 4 people were willing to give up a 1st and prospects for a top defender. I doubt Clarkson will be a deal breaker and if he is then I would have no problem trading him.

Yeah but 4 people were willing to give up a 1st and prospects for a top defender. I doubt Clarkson will be a deal breaker and if he is then I would have no problem trading him.

i think he would be and i would have a problem trading him. he's a solid 10-15 goal guy who hits, works hard, and fights, plus and this is most important, he is cheap.

Lou is currently seeking out the whereabouts of Pascal Rheaume.

Something tells me he knows where he is. Just a hunch...

And you better believe that if the Devils wanted Kaberle, Clarkson would have to be in that deal.

Remember, the Flyers had a deal in place to get Kaberle last year for Carter and a 1st round pick, but it fell through when Kaberle wouldn't waive his NTC.

And the Panthers will want roster players who can help them either make/do well in the playoffs if they trade Bouwmeester.

Edited by devilsrule33

This team just beat the bruins and sharks. This team is fine the way it is. why screw up the chemistry. The Devils are basically making a blockbuster trade by Marty coming back. Leave the team the way it is.

Eh, not so much. Do you really feel comfortable with Andy Greene playing defense late in a potential deciding game of the playoffs? We could probably use an upgrade over Leach as well. If They are serious about winning the Cup, they'll have to solidify the D. They're not gonna get the top flight d-man everybody wants but they probably don't need that anyways. If anyone can pull a trade out of his ass similar to the Salvador-Cam trade of last year it's Lou. I'm confident he will work his magic but you never know. There really isn't much of a market and the asking price for marginal help may be to much. We'll see I guess.

Edited by SickMan

A few weeks might give us a little more information on who is out there. LA has suddenly put their name in the hat for a playoff spot, so that takes out Dennis Gauthier and a trade deadline favourite in Sean O'Donnell.

The Coyotes might be out of it soon, and Derrek Morris should be a hot commodity.

Flip Kuba and Chris Neil will get a lot of interest.

You have to think that any UFA on any team out of the mix is up for grabs. Good year for the few teams out of the mix.

The small group of players only got smaller with Doug Weight out for a while.

Edited by devilsrule33

I think we are fine how we are. But, if there is EVER an opportunity to grab Bouwmeester, you do it. Aside from trading Parise, Elias or Brodeur... I'm game for acquiring a young, franchise d-man. Bouwmeester is wasting away in Florida.

That said, I think Bouwmeester is staying put... or would be out of our trading range.

We don't need to trade for rentals like Nieds or Pronger.... but depth d-men are always good to pick up. It would be great if Lou could somehow find another Bryce Salvador trade... nobody saw that deal coming... and that's Lou's style.

i think he would be and i would have a problem trading him. he's a solid 10-15 goal guy who hits, works hard, and fights, plus and this is most important, he is cheap.

You can't let a guy who fights, works hard, hits, and chips in 10 goals get in the way of getting a Chris Pronger or Scott Niedermayer. If they want Zajac or Martin then I'm hoping Lou hangs up the phone and tries something else but the Devils can't let David Clarkson hold up a deal.

I think we are fine how we are. But, if there is EVER an opportunity to grab Bouwmeester, you do it. Aside from trading Parise, Elias or Brodeur... I'm game for acquiring a young, franchise d-man. Bouwmeester is wasting away in Florida.

That said, I think Bouwmeester is staying put... or would be out of our trading range.

We don't need to trade for rentals like Nieds or Pronger.... but depth d-men are always good to pick up. It would be great if Lou could somehow find another Bryce Salvador trade... nobody saw that deal coming... and that's Lou's style.

Would you trade Zajac+ for him?

I've been saying get Witt for a while, he should be dirt cheap. If at all possible, I would like to get a smooth skating, mobile defensemen to play with Colin White. I like what Mottau is bringing a lot, however I feel White is better suited with someone with more speed. Mottau on the 3rd with Salvador would be PERFECT.

Martin Oduya

White ____

Mottau Salvador

I find it too hard to make vauge generalities about trade ideas.

I hope the Devils make any and all deals that make sense and don't do any deals that doesn't make sense, whether they're for major or minor players, and whether they involve prospects, roster players, or draft picks.

I find it too hard to make vauge generalities about trade ideas.

I hope the Devils make any and all deals that make sense and don't do any deals that doesn't make sense, whether they're for major or minor players, and whether they involve prospects, roster players, or draft picks.

+1.