Report: Grahame to start

TampaDev

It appears to be true folks.

Khabibulin Benched For Game 5

By ERIK ERLENDSSON eerlendsson@tampatrib.com

Published: May 2, 2003

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - In a surprise move, Lightning coach John Tortorella will start goaltender John Grahame in Game 5 of the Eastern Conference semifinals tonight against the New Jersey Devils.

The team was informed Friday morning of the decision not to start All-Star Nikolai Khabibulin, who has not been on top of his game against the Devils.

Khabibulin, who allowed just one goal in the Lightning's final three victories against Washington in the first round, has given up three goals in each game of the Devils series.

http://bolts.tbo.com/lightning/MGALG7TH8FD.html

Why would they lie about that? I don't think that's a bad move. Khabibulin's been awful in this series. If his netminding had been up to par, this series would probably be deadlocked.

Grahame played very well for the Lightning after they acquired him. Tortorella is looking for a spark.

Lets just hope tonight the puck looks like kryptonite to Grahame then and this seemingly stupid move by Toratella blows up in his face. I don't think Khabibulan played poorly that warranted being benched. He has a delicate psyche and this could really kill his confidence. Something you don't want to do to your #1 goalie.

That's ok msweet. Just thought I'd relay the news I heard on the sports station down here around noon. I don't think it matters thought. Its over tonight, although I won't get to see then here again.

Your confidence is reassuring, but nothing is over yet.

The Devils have to play very sound hockey to win. Simple enough?

Its true, this is what I think of our head coach: :puke:

Why? Khabibulin hasn't played well this series. Every game, he's allowed three goals and cost you at least one game (Game Two). Grahame did play well for your team. This might not be such a bad move.

I guess now it's become the 'in' thing to use two goalies in a series after the success Carolina had last year with rotating and the success Minnesota had this year.

It's not a terrible move per se as Khabi hasn't been playing well but I think Tampa's got more problems than that.

It's not a terrible move per se as Khabi hasn't been playing well but I think Tampa's got more problems than that.

Agree---at least Carolina scored nine goals last year. The move is a desperation move and probably designed to get more in the Devils head rather than motivate their team.

Their problem is we only need one or two goals.