GDT: 04/03/09 Tampa Bay LIGHTNING @ New Jersey DEVILS

Middlesex

LGD

Works Cited

NHL. (n.d.). Lightning-Devils Preview. Retrieved 04 03, 09, from NHL.com: http://www.nhl.com/ice/preview.htm?id=2008021158

The New Jersey Devils will hold a pregame ceremony Friday night to honor Martin Brodeur for achieving the all-time wins record. The future Hall of Famer's focus, however, may be elsewhere.

Brodeur looks to end a career-high six-game losing streak and help the Devils avoid their longest slide in more than 23 years when they meet the Tampa Bay Lightning.

The Devils (47-26-4) will celebrate Brodeur's NHL-record 552nd win, which came in a 3-2 victory over Chicago on March 17. Brodeur, who passed boyhood idol Patrick Roy for the mark, followed up that performance three nights later with win No. 553 in a 4-0 victory over Minnesota. That pulled him to within two shutouts shy of Terry Sawchuk's league record.

Things haven't gone nearly as well since. Brodeur has posted a 3.65 goals-against average in losing a career-worst six straight games - a slide that is New Jersey's longest since an eight-game skid from Dec. 19, 1985-Jan.6, 1986.

"We're going through something that's not an easy thing to go through," said Devils coach Brent Sutter, who held an extended team meeting Tuesday. "We're dealing with it, we're going through it. That's the best way to put it. We'll deal with it. It's the hand we've dealt ourselves."

The meeting didn't immediately result in improved play, as New Jersey fell 6-1 at Pittsburgh on Wednesday night. The Devils have been outscored 22-7 during their slide.

New Jersey has secured a playoff berth, but the skid has likely cost it any chance of catching Boston for the top seed in the Eastern Conference.

The Devils may now be more concerned with hanging on to win the Atlantic Division, as they're six points up on Philadelphia and Pittsburgh with five games remaining. New Jersey is three points behind Washington for the second seed.

(Should i have improperly cited that, feel free to edit and scold me)

tampa.jpg

"On Guard!"

tampa2.jpg

"One of these things just doesnt belong here"

tampa3.jpg

The Penguin from Billy Madison's Revenge

weekeshello.jpg

Get Well Soon Kevin!

c3203132-e134-4397-97b8-f613c29f5928.jpg

I BELIEVE!

marshallslaw.jpg

+1 to the first person to identify all 3 of these players

dancers.jpg

Because desperate times call for desperate measures

ALTERNATE Caption: Its pretty hard to be angry when your looking at this picture

Edited by Middlesex

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going tonight with the family. It'll be my 7yr old daughters first NHL game! On my drive home for work last night I was contemplating what could be the root cause of the Devils slump these last couple of weeks. As I was pulling into my parking lot I instinctively swung my car around and reversed into my parking spot. Something I use to always do because it makes for a faster get-a-way. Then it dawned on me that I haven't done that in 2-3 weeks. Well ladies and gentleman, my car is now parked the correct way facing out, thus ending our losing streak. I apologize for the last couple of tormenting weeks of losses. It was indeed my fault for parking my car facing in, instead of out.

:koolaid: :koolaid: Let's Go Devils! :koolaid: :koolaid:

Edited by Coorslight

Going tonight with the family. It'll be my 7yr old daughters first NHL game! On my drive home for work last night I was contemplating what could be the root cause of the Devils slump these last couple of weeks. As I was pulling into my parking lot I instinctively swung my car around and reversed into my parking spot. Something I use to always do because it makes for a faster get-a-way. Then it dawned on me that I haven't done that in 2-3 weeks. Well ladies and gentleman, my car is now parked the correct way facing out, thus ending our losing streak. I apologize for the last couple of tormenting weeks of losses. It was indeed my fault for parking my car facing in, instead of out.

:koolaid: :koolaid: Let's Go Devils! :koolaid: :koolaid:

Don't ever let it happen again!! :P