Striking Difference Between Sens And Dev Fans

MaddDog

Am I the only one who has detected a major difference in the way fans of both teams are discussing their team and this upcoming series? Specifically, it seems almost every single Senator fan I have come across online (either on this message board or other boards) has either been

a ) totally arrogant, acting like their team rules the universe or is the best that ever existed. NJ might as well not even bother playing against Ottawa because the Devils are in over their heads and can't beat the Sens no matter what. :puke: Thankfully this does not appear to be the vast majority of Sens fans.

OR....

B ) highly confident in their team, feeling they have a very good chance of winning this series against the Devils. They say complimentary things about their team and don't diss them all the time.

Yet if you look at Devils fans as a whole, a good chunk of them are predicting an Ottawa victory. Now, that by itself isn't such a big deal, since Senators are a formidable opponent, but it sort of disturbs me how much flak the Devs get from their OWN FRIGGIN FANS. Just look at this board for the evidence :P . "The team isn't good, we won't get out of the 1st round... we won't get out of the 2nd round.. we have no offense... pp sucks.. .we're doomed". Such uplighting thoughts and comments there!

But then I'm reading Senators message boards or posts from Sens fans, and they rarely rag on their team the way NJ fans do. So what gives there? You'd think there's this massive discrepancy in talent level between Ottawa and NJ, which I really don't see (I will admit Sens have better offense but I'm not inclined to agree they are superior on d and goaltending to Devs).

Although my sample is not huge by any means and I haven't read every message board out there, so far I actually haven't seen one Senator fan say they feel they will LOSE to the Devils whereas there's many NJ fans who are convinced Devs can NOT beat the Sens :angry: I'm really starting to believe some Dev fans honestly don't appreciate the quality of team that they have.

The few Sens' fans I have come across are all class. They don't talk the trash other fans do like Cryer fans.

It's refreshing to see a fanbase that has respect for their opponent.

Also want to mention most Lightning fans were like this too.

Anyway, MaddDog, I think the Devils have TOO MUCH FIREPOWER for Ottawa :evil: .

I am a SENS fan, but I have to say I am very suprised how you guys have started to complain very early in the game. This is the playoffs, no one has advantage. What I say here as a fan does not matter, what matters is what happens on the ice. I have seen a lot of posts how the SENS don't have heart, how the devils have the best defense etc, but I am not complaining because I know that is what they believe, but it means absolutely nothing if all these trash talk does not correspond to whats happening on the ice. It always better to have both sides of the story no matter how biased. I may be biased as a SENS fan, but I don't discount what the devil fans say about their team because that's what makes hockey great.

The few Sens' fans I have come across are all class. They don't talk the trash other fans do like Cryer fans.

It's refreshing to see a fanbase that has respect for their opponent.

Also want to mention most Lightning fans were like this too.

Anyway, MaddDog, I think the Devils have TOO MUCH FIREPOWER for Ottawa :evil: .

You're gonna get yer arse kicked for this one Derek! :evil:

MD-

Sens fans haven't been spoiled like Devils fans have. They have not won a Cup or reached ECFs and SCFs to know how good a team can be. This year's Senators team is the best THEY have ever had. It's like Devils '01. Even though that team didn't win it all, it was the best team (along with'00) that the Devils ever had. And those years, you didn't hear anyone saying that the Devils were screwed in the first round or that they sucked. People nitpicked a little, but everyone was very confident in those teams.

Add to the fact that Senators fans have had to deal with the bullsh!t from Toronto fans from the outset so they (rightly so) took the highroad for the most part so that their fanbase is generally well educated in hockey and not antagonistic.

I think it depends on the mindset of the poster--someone who knows the game and their team and is respectful on this board will be more than welcome in discussions. Lord knows we have had our share of board trolls otherwise.

This years addition of the NJ Devs are a good solid team. I like them and therefore I expect a win in this series. With that said, Ottawa is a dynamic team than can do it all. This will be one of those series. I will have no fingernails left at the end. I will lose sleep after a loss and probably cry if we lose the series. I imagine many of you and many of the Sens fans feel the same way. So I guess were not so different. :rolleyes: Good luck Devils!

Remember this - right or wrong, Devil fans are spoiled, we expect to be here. This is a treat for Sens fans. If they lose, well, they still had their best season ever. If we lose, even in the finals, we are likely to be dissappointed. Spoiled by Lou and the success of this team? You bet we are - and proud of it.

I think this has alot to do with the Sens broadcast team who basically disparage the Devils during telecasts. I remember reading about how they totally dissed Dano about his speed and how the Devils can't handle the quickness of Ottawa and laughing on camera about it.

Remember this - right or wrong, Devil fans are spoiled, we expect to be here. This is a treat for Sens fans. If they lose, well, they still had their best season ever. If we lose, even in the finals, we are likely to be dissappointed. Spoiled by Lou and the success of this team? You bet we are - and proud of it.

I don't think anyone expected THIS

I don't think anyone expected THIS

sorry---no one exected THIS team to be here. Maybe my memory is failing me but unlike previous years there wasn't alot of optimism around here after losing Holik and Sykora (myself included). I do remember a lot of complaining about Lou screwing up. So lets enjoy this as a nice surprise. Rememebr, no one thought we would win in 95.

No one expected us to be here because they figured Langenbrunner and Madden's goal totals would again equal 0.

They equal 12, and so the Devils are in the Conference Finals.

People didn't expect it, but they expected it anyway. Hence the bitching and whining during the season, after the deadline, and the continued sounds of GR and ^7^ claiming the Devils haven't played good hockey yet.

I am a SENS fan, but I have to say I am very suprised how you guys have started to complain very early in the game. This is the playoffs, no one has advantage. What I say here as a fan does not matter, what matters is what happens on the ice.

.Sen,

that was kind of my point. Some Devil fans are already complaining BEFORE the puck for the first game has even been dropped :angry: . I haven't even found any Sens fans that are all freaked out ahead of time, before a game has occurred. No one knows what to expect until the event in question is happening so why even fret about it yet?

Of course some fans here were predicting NJ would NOT get out of the 1st round, would NOT get out of the 2nd round.... :blink: that Tampa and Boston were not good teams, blah blah blah. I really fail to see how the Isles were superior to those teams, so Ottawa hardly had a harder time in the 1st round. There's no question the Flyers are a tougher opponent than either the Bolts or Booins, but they also basically crapped it out those last couple of games and I'm pretty convinced NJ would have beaten them if they faced them as well (look at what Chokemanek did, and half of their scorers vanished.... and I believe NJ can play defense just as well, if not better than the Sens).

MD-

Sens fans haven't been spoiled like Devils fans have. They have not won a Cup or reached ECFs and SCFs to know how good a team can be. This year's Senators team is the best THEY have ever had. It's like Devils '01. Even though that team didn't win it all, it was the best team (along with'00) that the Devils ever had. And those years, you didn't hear anyone saying that the Devils were screwed in the first round or that they sucked. People nitpicked a little, but everyone was very confident in those teams.

Yeah, but some fans even in 2000 and 2001 WERE griping the team would have a hard time getting out of the 1st round OR that we had NO CHANCE of beating Philthy in the ECF in 2000 (I'll admit I was one of those who was skeptical we'd beat them :P since no team ever had up to that point... or only one in NHL history, that far into the playoffs anyway?). It's been a pretty common trend with Devils fans, I have noticed. They don't have as much confidence in their team that the fans of other 'elite' teams do. It's almost like they buy into the crap the media spews about the Devs ... we certainly are not the 'darlings' of ESPN and we're always hearing how we don't have any "stars" (what rubbish!!!!!).

I've decided it could be because NJ is rather unpredictable, and tends to give its fans a) 1st round flops or B ) Stanley Cup finals and/or Cups. But, given the fact we have actually gotten OUT of the 1st round this year, you'd think the fans would not be so damn gloomy about our chances in the Conference Finals. I'm hardly "weeee, Ottawa, we will roll over them"; I'm already 100% certain NJ has to pick up their game to beat the Sens. Having said that, Ottawa surely has to pick up THEIR game too - I just don't think Philthy as an overall team is as good as the Devils are.

I think this has alot to do with the Sens broadcast team who basically disparage the Devils during telecasts. I remember reading about how they totally dissed Dano about his speed and how the Devils can't handle the quickness of Ottawa and laughing on camera about it.

Sens broadcasters disparage Devils on a routine basis? :angry: If true, you'd think they would have a little more class. I can't recall Doc and Chico dissing on Ottawa; they usually give them compliments!!

It's obvious the Senators have alot of team speed, but my Christ, NJ is not exactly a slow team either. Sure, we have a few plodders like Dano, but the majority of the Devils is fairly quick.