Classless Rags Fans at MSG

DevilsCapsgal

You want to stop Ranger and Flyer fans from taking over the building? Simple... Devil fans buy the tickets. You look at other arenas and there are pockets of opposing fans but too often we've been overrun in our own building... that's something we need to change.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You want to stop Ranger and Flyer fans from taking over the building? Simple... Devil fans buy the tickets. You look at other arenas and there are pockets of opposing fans but too often we've been overrun in our own building... that's something we need to change.

the problem there is... we charge HALF of what they charge for the same seats, I can't blame an opposing fan wanting to see the same game at half the cost :P

THE DEVILS need to find a better way to stopping this, something like letting extra available seats being bought by the STH before the general public (that won't stop it though... we all have token Ranger and Flyer fans in our life)

I could give two sh!ts what you think. If we had more of a hostile building like Philly, last year wouldn't have been as bad as it was. I've attended numerous Flyers-Rangers games down there. They don't act nowhere near as stupid as they do in our barn. The Flyers fans keep them in line.

Hold the phone a bit here. Two different things are being discussed, I think.

A guy whose worst sin is wearing the wrong jersey does NOT deserve to be abused.

Period. End of story; no justification possible. It's just sub-human.

OTOH, a guy being a complete tool deserves what's coming to him.

It all comes down to respect. Fans of visiting teams should be shown respect unless they prove themselves unworthy of said respect.

Fvck that sh!t. If Devils fans EVER get anywhere near as bad as Philly fans, I'm changing teams. It's bad enough there's sections of the fanbase that are more obsessed with hating the Rangers than they are with rooting for their own team, I'm sure as hell not going to associate myself with a group that prides itself on being a$$holes at every turn.

There has to be a happy-medium of "defending the Rock" and a common respect for your fellow man. Getting jeered for wearing the opposing team's jersey is one thing, along with obnoxious chants and things of that nature, but if I fear for my safety (or the safety of my wife and son) when I attend a game then that's a different story.

What I am trying to say is that it is possible to be a good fan without being a classless a$$hole. I attend several Thrashers games a year (granted their fan base is still establishing itself) but I have never once felt endangered while wearing my Devils jerseys in their building. I've been taunted, sure, but no one has ever dumped sauerkraut down my back. It's a game folks, relax.

Hold the phone a bit here. Two different things are being discussed, I think.

A guy whose worst sin is wearing the wrong jersey does NOT deserve to be abused.

Period. End of story; no justification possible. It's just sub-human.

OTOH, a guy being a complete tool deserves what's coming to him.

It all comes down to respect. Fans of visiting teams should be shown respect unless they prove themselves unworthy of said respect.

Exactly.

It's our job to be loud. We need to make the Rock an unpleasant place for the visting TEAM, not the fans. We damn well better drown them out, and I have no problem with trash talk. It's when the talk crosses the line, or physical violence (or even threats) break out. Defending the Rock and being a$$holes are two different things. Our favorite visiting fan base is Montreal. They're smart and classy. They pack the Bell Centre, and the Habs have one of the best home ice advantages in hockey, and their fans are never a$$holes. Hell, they cheered Marty when he broke the record. I like talking to visiting fans, especially rash talking, or chanting a$$hole at them. It's fun. I don't want the Rock to be a place where we can't do that. If they start something, that's different, but even then I'd rather let security deal with it. Most of the STHs seem to know security well enough to get problems dealt with fast. FAns taking matters into their own hands just causes trouble. Somebody mentioned earlier that fan fights take sections out of the game. If we let sh!t like that distract us from the action on the ice, we aren't defending the Rock, we're giving up some part of out home ice advantage just because somebody else showed up.

it happens in every building sadly, no matter how "good" the fan base is

Not true, I've been to games in Boston, Toronto and LI and never had a problem. Sure there are jerks everywhere but not to the level in NY and Philly. My point again is why do we want our fanbase to be despised like the Rags and Flyers? What does that accomplish?

Some of you people are out of your damn minds. I hope you do act like an a$$hole to someone, Satans Hockey, and then get a permaban from the arena, because you don't deserve to be a Devils fan if that's your line of thought. Same goes for some others. In fact, I'll wear a Rangers jersey and you can pour saurkraut on me or something, so at least you wouldn't be doing it to some other innocent fan.

This is hockey we're talking about. It's a GAME. And except for the 'crazies', it's not a way of life. You're not actually part of the team, it's not your duty or responsibility to police the arena, and even if it was, there's no problem with other fans being at our games. If the Ranger fans take over our arena, good for them, they have a huge fanbase, and last I checked, anyone can buy a ticket.

You're an idiot if you think that Ranger fans 'dont deserve respect' at the Rock. They root for a different team than you do. That's the same as saying that they play with a different toy than you. Some people take this game way too seriously.

Edited by metallidevils

Not true, I've been to games in Boston, Toronto and LI and never had a problem. Sure there are jerks everywhere but not to the level in NY and Philly. My point again is why do we want our fanbase to be despised like the Rags and Flyers? What does that accomplish?

Did I say it happened to EVERY FAN in EVERY Building?

no :P

I've been to 18 arenas... I've been welcomed and cheered.....hell I got threatened and taunted by a drunk Flyers fan in 2000 after we LOST A PRE-SEASON GAME :blink:

and I've had beer tossed on me wearing a Devils jersey at a Kings/Stars game (ok given that was someone in the group's fault that wasn't me :P)

but it goes either way

I love soccer rules for this -- visiting fans can ONLY sit in a designated segregated section .. home fans need to wait a full 1/2 hour before they can leave at the end of the game...

It's too bad it's gotten to that point in soccer. I hope the NHL never gets that far. Part of the fun of being a visiting fan and having them in our building is trash talking during the game and getting beers afterwards. I like talking sports with people who like different teams. It would be too bad if a few a$$holes spoiled that for everyone.

Did I say it happened to EVERY FAN in EVERY Building?

no :P

I've been to 18 arenas... I've been welcomed and cheered.....hell I got threatened and taunted by a drunk Flyers fan in 2000 after we LOST A PRE-SEASON GAME :blink:

and I've had beer tossed on me wearing a Devils jersey at a Kings/Stars game (ok given that was someone in the group's fault that wasn't me :P)

but it goes either way

How did you react to that beer being spilled on you?.. I've constantly heard about other fans doing that, but I always tried to picture what I would do if that ever happened to me..haha! I seriously don't know what I would do.

Fans like you that caused me (and I'm sure many others) to take cloths to the cleaners after a night out, rather than just putting them in the hamper. Fans like you that need to shut up, grow up, and stay home if you want to act like a fool. Fans like you that don't know when they've had enough to drink. Fans like you that suck.

I don't drink and I have never thrown a beer or had a physical confrontation with anyone at any game I've ever been to but thanks for assuming so buddy. ;)

wow. i really hope you dont attend devils home games. you not only make it uncomfortable for the other teams fan that you are being an a$$hole towards but you also make it uncomfortable for everyone else in your section and around you.

everyone goes to a hockey game to watch and enjoy the game. no one wants to go to a game and have to deal with a$$holes like yourself.

please do everyone a favor and go cheer for the flyers you idiot.

*yawn*

again I never stated that I've beaten people up or thrown stuff on people. I stated I like the way Philly does things come playoff times. They verbally make fun of people more than physically attack anyone. Them physically beating people up every game is a real exaggeration.

Explain how attending a road game is grounds for being verbally abused.

I can live with verbal, to a certain extent. If there are not kids there, I've chanted a$$hole at people with the wrong jersey. There's definitely a line you don't cross though.

How did you react to that beer being spilled on you?.. I've constantly heard about other fans doing that, but I always tried to picture what I would do if that ever happened to me..haha! I seriously don't know what I would do.

I was annoyed but NOWHERE near as much as the one who had the signed Modano jersey on it (and you know it REALLY sucks when you're the one guy with 3 girls and guys toss beer on you... you're expected to be all neanderthal and all :rolleyes: )

someone went and got security and got them moved

they were in the concourse on the phone bragging about it....turned and saw me with quite the annoyed look... and took off :lol: