Uncharacteristic fire from goalie Martin Brodeur could be the element

MadDog2020

He might still be piling up victories in the regular season at an unrivaled pace, but the playoffs are another story. Brodeur is just 14-20 in the postseason since hoisting the Stanley Cup six years ago.

Ouch, but so much of the story.

Part of that is a reflection of his own play, including last spring when he struggled in that first-round loss to the Rangers.

Yep.

Make the save, and none of this other drivel is even discussed.

- Jeff

"Now, the Hurricanes are crashing his territory with regularity and, it seems, without fear. "There's a lot of things we could have done differently," defenseman Paul Martin said when asked about the last play.

Here's one: Hit somebody."

I have been screaming this every single game....

Well you need to be looking at the big guys like White and Salvador and Havelid to get the dirty work like that done.

Our D men come across as cautious, sometimes almost scared to make plays liek that infront of the net.

Ah what I wouldnt give to have a slightly unstable D man on the Devils this year.

Hurry up Corrente and make the NHL !!!!!

Remember though, Stevens and Daneyko didn't play in the post lock-out league where refs are much more willing to call penalties. A lot of things you could get away with then that you can't now.

I know what you're saying, but they don't have to physically pick the guy up and throw him to the side. All they have to do is put their body on the guy and bump him over so he's out of the way.

There are other teams in the league that somehow are still able to clear the crease -- even with the newer rules.

Edited by 95Crash

Remember though, Stevens and Daneyko didn't play in the post lock-out league where refs are much more willing to call penalties. A lot of things you could get away with then that you can't now.

excellent point. But you can still do the job without getting a penalty.

I love Kenny, but in the new NHL he would be way to much of a liability to put on the ice at all. Stevens was a great leader but his primary punch was his ruthless defense and he would have been handcuffed by the new NHL rules. I think he would be on the number 1 pairing still but for respect and leadership, not his defensive prowess.

excellent point. But you can still do the job without getting a penalty.

Idk about that, with all the ticky tat calls they make, if you watch the old playoff games I think a lot of the stuff they did would get called. And I think after a few seasons under the current rules they would be much less apt to make those plays to begin with to avoid penalties.

I think the D gets mixed messages. Seriously - this can't go on FOUR YEARS consistently without the cause being other than stupid Dmen.

Use your heads - use your logic.

There is a message being poorly conveyed to all our defensemen - it's AS SIMPLE AS THAT. THAT makes FAR MORE sense than the organization picking timid D men on a consistent basis. Makes FAR more sense than Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermayer and Ken Daneyko are the only Dmen able to play for the Devils... this is just nonsense. martin who is GREAT - he's great and I cannot be a detractor any longer...would NOT continue on this sh!tty path without any reason.

Is it Jacques Laperriere's fault? The timing works. Does that make sense to anyone? Or is it Marty? Is marty fvckin' around where he doesn't belong, tweaking his D ? I'd trust him implicitly if I were Lou or Sutter. But there is a major disconnect in communication. it's not skill... it's communication and some really sh!tty perception of what is getting in Marty's way and what is keeping the net clear - what's taking a stupid penalty.

if you think it's unthinkable to be writing about the same problem year in year out --- it's not your core D that's causing the problem at that point. I dont want to read that BS here anymore -- I expect it from writers spouting rote sh!t because they really dont have time to think that deeply. but you guys are supposed ot be knowledgeable -- so be smart -- be logical... and look for the real problem please.

Our defense has been passive pansy pushovers down low since the dismantling of the 2003 team. I never see any snarl from them anymore and haven't in 6 years now. It's not going to change in one game.

White is kicking ass and taking names - maybe taking a bad penalty -- so he's a pansy? No... ONLY IN FRONT OF THE NET. What's up with that? That makes ZERO sense to me - it's not in keeping with his style. Explain it to me please.

( I honestly have no agenda here - I am as confused as anyone and I seriously want my questions - EVERYONE's questions - anwered LOGICALLY)

Edited by Pepperkorn

I think the D gets mixed messages. Seriously - this can't go on FOUR YEARS consistently without the cause being other than stupid Dmen.

Use your heads - use your logic.

There is a message being poorly conveyed to all our defensemen - it's AS SIMPLE AS THAT. THAT makes FAR MORE sense than the organization picking timid D men on a consistent basis. Makes FAR more sense than Scott Stevens, Scott Neidermayer and Ken Daneyko are the only Dmen able to play for the Devils... this is just nonsense. martin who is GREAT - he's great and I cannot be a detractor any longer...would NOT continue on this sh!tty path without any reason.

Is it Jacques Laperriere's fault? The timing works. Does that make sense to anyone? Or is it Marty? Is marty fvckin' around where he doesn't belong, tweaking his D ? I'd trust him implicitly if I were Lou or Sutter. But there is a major disconnect in communication. it's not skill... it's communication and some really sh!tty perception of what is getting in Marty's way and what is keeping the net clear - what's taking a stupid penalty.

if you think it's unthinkable to be writing about the same problem year in year out --- it's not your core D that's causing the problem at that point. I dont want to read that BS here anymore -- I expect it from writers spouting rote sh!t because they really dont have time to think that deeply. but you guys are supposed ot be knowledgeable -- so be smart -- be logical... and look for the real problem please.

I don't think our D-men suck as a whole. But for some reason they don't clear out the crease very well, and some other times (not all the time) they come under pressure in their own zone and fall apart.

Whose fault that is, I don't know.

You think it stems from Marty? That he's directing them to stay out of his way? That he has them so worried about pissing him off that it makes them freeze up? That's possible, I guess. I've heard others on this board say similar things in the past.

As we all know, it's hard to criticize Marty on this board without taking major heat -- you know, with him being the all-time winningest goalie and three-time Cup winner and all.

Edited by 95Crash

It's hard because Marty is coming under fire. I don't want to jump on the guy when he's down. It's the last thing he needs! Just things haven't been adding up. And I DO have a thing real or imagined that in the later years Marty would so obviously get pissed off at Stevens and it's very obvious he thinks neidermayer is the perfect Dman.

So i was considering the current situation and things fell into place for me in a particular - colored for certain for my adoration of the defensive defenseman - way. If this is Marty's doing than honestly then he's got 2 serious misconception about defense/hockey.

1. FIRST AND FOREMOST -- YOU TRUST YOUR TEAM OVER THE REFS! The refs will NOT make the fair call. You think - "give me my space and if I get hit it's a penalty of course" You're just out of your over-inflated mind -- and it's just like a goalie to even think that. :argh: So your defensive dman has to ignore you - has to know implicitly that that the goalie WILL get run and that NO PENALTY will be called -- so just let the defender do his job already --- TRUST YOUR TEAMMATES NOT THE LEAGUE! It's not that the defender doesn't trust the goalie -- it's that the refs cannnot be trusted. What's so hard to undertsand about that?

2 - there is only one Scott Niedermayer ... the best you can expect next to him is Paul Martin. that's just the way it is. Defesive defenseman will NEVER play like Nieds - Neids is EXCEPTIONALLY fast and smart. Just forget it if that's what you think is the right way to play D -- it's like my Stevens obsession -- not gonna happen - not getting that EVER again!!!!

Edited by Pepperkorn

I don't think our D-men suck as a whole. But for some reason they don't clear out the crease very well, and some other times (not all the time) they come under pressure in their own zone and fall apart.

Whose fault that is, I don't know.

You think it stems from Marty? That he's directing them to stay out of his way? That he has them so worried about pissing him off that it makes them freeze up? That's possible, I guess. I've heard others on this board say similar things in the past.

As we all know, it's hard to criticize Marty on this board without taking major heat -- you know, with him being the all-time winningest goalie and three-time Cup winner and all.

IF- and it's a big IF- Marty is telling the d to stay away from the front of the net, he's a fvcking moron. I agree the communication HAS GOT to improve. The passive appraoch to getting men out from in front and keeping the heat off of Marty hasn't worked, and he himself should realize that. If Marty thinks he can do so much better without the help of his defensemen trying to clear out the crease and block some shots, here's an idea- MAKE A BIG SAVE, MARTY. I love Marty- but what's been said about his shoddy record in the post-seaon since 2003 is absolutely true. He hasn't stolen a series or made a game-changing save in a playoff game since 2003. If he's really arrognat enough to explicity instruct his d to stay out of his way, he better step it the fvck up when it needs to be stepped up. I expect Marty to eat pucks and sh!t victory (to steal that great line one more time :P ) the rest of these playoffs starting tonight. If he can't, we're toast, and he deserves to be criticized for it.

Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah - madDog2020 -- it makes no sense... the whole situation makes no sense - that drives me nuts so I just babble and see what sticks... :argh:

WHAT are they thinking?

Why does every opposing team have 2 dmen in front of their net and we have NONE? EVERY team this happens with -- I've just gotten so tired of watching it and excusing it. I foudn myself this series saying half-heartedly that Marty needs the room to see.... that the coaches KNOW Marty requires a crease clear of our dmen... :noclue: It just makes no sense to me -- so frustrating!! WHY WHWYHWYWHWH;GZFfyu^&@*^&*@%^&($%

HOW does this fit into the ineffable system? I cannot reconcile it... I can't blame the D any longer because it makes no sense for the organization. and suckier D are playing like NORMAL defensemen... this is not normal -- not textbook --- and when non-traditional isn't working after 4 years you change things up don't you? Doesn't Lou???

Edited by Pepperkorn

Yeah - madDog2020 -- it makes no sense... the whole situation makes no sense - that drives me nuts so I just babble and see what sticks... :argh:

WHAT are they thinking?

Why does every opposing team have 2 dmen in front of their net and we have NONE? EVERY team this happens with -- I've just gotten so tired of watching it and excusing it. I foudn myself this series saying half-heartedly that Marty needs the room to see.... that the coaches KNOW Marty requires a crease clear of our dmen... :noclue: It just makes no sense to me -- so frustrating!! WHY WHWYHWYWHWH;GZFfyu^&@*^&*@%^&($%

PK, I've asked myself the same questions over and over and your theory makes sense... we'll probably never know for sure, but it adds up to me. It also annoys the living sh!t out of me that no one on our team EVER runs the opposing goaltender in return to get them off of their games. Never. I don't get it, and I never will.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2009/04...e_from_goa.html

Good read. Politi makes some good points about the d.

:clap: Nice job Politi!

It's about time someone finally wrote about the REAL problem. Sure it would have been nice if they waved off the goal, but if the D was doing what D is supposed to do, there never would have been a goal to wave off. This whole penalty/no penalty discussion is really just a distraction from the big problem. This team needs to get their D straightened out and fast!

Come out, play hard for 60 minutes tonight and get a decisive win and no one's talking about this come Sunday.

But that's the trick, isn't it? Just putting in the effort required to beat an inferior team.