After The Loss

Jimmy Leeds

I am as big a Devs fan as there is, I feel. I don't have season tix, and I only get to a handful of games a year, but I've been there through thick and thin, mostly thick, since the mid '80s.

This is a bitter pill to swallow, but all I could do was laugh, in disgust yes, but laugh nonetheless. I guess I'm just getting older. I waited for the other shoe to drop, all the while near the end think they just might move on..........but I wasn't surprised.

Just unbelievable. Not as crushing as others, but disappointing.

You know I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but this I do. I don't know, maybe it just comes from being a fan of this team for 21 years now and really seeing it all. Well now we have. I sat in my seat in 210, shook my head and laughed at this insanely horrendous outcome and watched everyone around me lose their minds and throw towels and beer bottles and cups and punch the walls, all things I did 10 years ago when we blew it to the Pens with a team I felt could actually win the cup. This team? Come on! Does anyone really think we'd go on to beat the Caps? The Bruins? The Red Wings? This loss was horrific but maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm not a real fan, but the biggest feeling I have tonight is relief. Relief this first round of agony is over. Relief that we don't have to stress over a second round we had no chance in hell of winning. Right now I just want to go to bed. With each crushing loss, it actually gets easier for me, because I've now seen it all with this team.

I sat in my seat in 210, shook my head and laughed at this insanely horrendous outcome and watched everyone around me lose their minds and throw towels and beer bottles and cups and punch the walls, all things I did 10 years ago when we blew it to the Pens with a team I felt could actually win the cup. This team? Come on! Does anyone really think we'd go on to beat the Caps? The Bruins? The Red Wings? This loss was horrific but maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm not a real fan, but the biggest feeling I have tonight is relief. Relief this first round of agony is over. Relief that we don't have to stress over a second round we had no chance in hell of winning. Right now I just want to go to bed. With each crushing loss, it actually gets easier for me, because I've now seen it all with this team.

This is also what has sorta softened the blow for me too. It also helps that I don't know a single soul who is a Hurricanes fan. I didn't think this team had a shot against Pittsburgh or Washington but the part that sucks is the what if factor cause ya just never know what can happen and tonight was a prime example of it.

As bad as this was, imagine if this was last year vs. the Rangers.....if we played a little better and finished 2nd this season, it could have very well been them with Avery and Gomez doing this to us tonight. The Canes? I'm just sick of seeing them in general, and I'll never go to another game against them. There were two Canes fans a section below us tonight. They were jumping around high fiving when they tied it, but WOULDN'T EVEN STAND AND CHEER when Staal buried us. They were too afraid to. Just imagine if that were Flyer or Ranger fans. I can't even hate the Canes this year. We beat ourselves so many times it's pathetic, and they were just the faster, hungrier team. They didn't do anything dirty, and their coach was as classy as they come.

I've been very lucky with the Devils. They won the cup in 95 a few weeks after I graduated high school, so I've been old enough to remember the awful teams and cherish each cup. Now I'm older and have more responsibility. Sure the cup is the world, but losing a stupid first round series isn't. We weren't winning the cup this year, not with that defense. My refund request fax goes out tomorrow and I'm looking forward to enjoying my summer with it. I'm just glad they didn't hit us with the round 3&4 invoice during the first round this year like they have in the past. Maybe they knew something too...

As bad as this was, imagine if this was last year vs. the Rangers.....

This year was even worse and I didn't think that was possible. They never had a chance last year against the Rangers anyway, which was proved in the regular season and after Game 1.

They should have beaten this team and if they had who's to say they don't loosen up a bit? Even if you want to say there's no way they would have won the second round, the fact is they blew a series against a rival team that sticks it up our butt over and over again in historic fashion.

Last year was embarassing but this year is the kind of loss that can cripple a franchise, like the '88 Met playoff loss.

Edited by NJDevs26

it has been like this year after year since Stevens left and to a lesser extent Daneyko. Although Marty should have carried us to round 2! Every nondevil fan discredits what Marty has done in the past with a great defense/system but they have a great argument! I know goalies can't win 4 games on their own in playoffs but they also shouldn't lose the games for you!(even though if wwe learn how to clear the puck we would be crying like the Rags how the NHL wants crosby and Ovetkhin to advance! We need a big time Punisher/Defensemen!

I don't even blame Marty. He played very well, but clearly outplayed by a younger, already battle tested goalie.

This also solidifies that Marty is ONE OF the greatest, not the greatest.

'99 was a crusher, yes, they would have batteled the Stars in the final. But believe it or not, I think they would have had a nice series against the Caps. But it's all mute now.

And Langenbrunner really showed character.

I kinda laughed too, in a sick sort of how the fvck could this possibly have happened way. Truth is though, I've also calmed down over the years. I'm as big of Devils fan as it comes ( like the majority of this board is) but it gets to a point where it's not worth getting stressed out and sick over.

I totally agree.

Not as crushing as others, but disappointing.

I have not been able to view as many games as you over the years but this one just left me empty as it fell apart.

I just picked up the remote and turned off the TV. My wife well she had some choice words for the TV :lol:

Edited by Devilish34

I have to agree with the majority of posts here -- I just said this is unbelievable but in a way saw it coming this whole series - I had full faith we would win and play hard last night, we did, play hard and when we killed all those penalties I was sure we were on our way. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing.. it certainly does npt hurt as much as 94 or 01 after all its Rd 1 . I stand by all the bitching I did thru the year regarding Lou, Sutter, Rolston. Holik and Havelid. I was thru with the Kool-Aid 2 years ago and Im so glad for it.

In '94 I was beside myself. Actually I'm still more upset about that then any other Devs loss.

I just don't want the new Devs fans, those who haven't experienced the highs alot of us have, '88 on, to be frustrated and abandon them.

They are still my favorite team of all sports. My Devs flag is flying and my hat is on.

You know I don't agree with you on a lot of things, but this I do. I don't know, maybe it just comes from being a fan of this team for 21 years now and really seeing it all. Well now we have. I sat in my seat in 210, shook my head and laughed at this insanely horrendous outcome and watched everyone around me lose their minds and throw towels and beer bottles and cups and punch the walls, all things I did 10 years ago when we blew it to the Pens with a team I felt could actually win the cup. This team? Come on! Does anyone really think we'd go on to beat the Caps? The Bruins? The Red Wings? This loss was horrific but maybe I'm crazy, maybe I'm not a real fan, but the biggest feeling I have tonight is relief. Relief this first round of agony is over. Relief that we don't have to stress over a second round we had no chance in hell of winning. Right now I just want to go to bed. With each crushing loss, it actually gets easier for me, because I've now seen it all with this team.

One day, I hope to be as wise a Devils fan as you.. But since I'm still young and don't remember '95, '00, and I barely remember anything from '03.. I got season tickets for the first time this year and truly poured my heart into the team.. So in 20 years I hope to be as calm about this as you.. I didn't punch any walls last night, just shed a tear on my way home and started thinking about the Mets pitching rotation

I have to agree with the majority of posts here -- I just said this is unbelievable but in a way saw it coming this whole series - I had full faith we would win and play hard last night, we did, play hard and when we killed all those penalties I was sure we were on our way. In the grand scheme of things this is nothing.. it certainly does npt hurt as much as 94 or 01 after all its Rd 1 . I stand by all the bitching I did thru the year regarding Lou, Sutter, Rolston. Holik and Havelid. I was thru with the Kool-Aid 2 years ago and Im so glad for it.

Yes I agree with most everything here. I was at the elimination game at CAA in 99 vs the Pens and I swore then that I would NEVER go to an elimination game again. I remember people in the parking lot burning the towels that were given out and as I walked out with my son we threw ours on the bonfire too.

Well I am a STH and I was at that game last night ( against my better instincts ) and boy did this one hurt. Surreal experience. The one redeeming thing as stated here is that there were not any Ranger or Philly fans to deal with. I think the crowd would have gotten ugly. People just did not know what to do with themselves.

In my younger days I would have moped around for days but now I find I can let go. Disappointed yes...but not discouraged.

Time to think of better things...golf...fishing....beaches...

Let's hope Lou finally does the right thing.

Well folks...I did not want to post last night after I got home from the game because I was livid. After thinking overnight, I have the following observations:

A. The Devils almost NEVER play a FULL 60 minutes. We can have teams right where we want them (like last night), but ALWAYS have a problem closing the show. The game should have ended 3-2, Devils moving on to see Mr. Ovechkin in Round 2. Instead, we froze up, sh!t the bed, and allowed Staal and Co. to coast into Round 2. I still believe we are a better team than them, we just don't play like it consistently.

B. Our defense corps is not up to par whatsoever. We CANNOT get the puck out of our own end, especially against a good forechecking team like the Canes. Paul Martin is hands down our best defenseman, followed by Oduya. As far as I am concerned, every other D Man is expendable at this point. I liked White back there, but he has lost alot in the past few years, I still wouldn't mind hanging on to him. Beyond that, our D is in a scary state. Mottau is garbage, 100% needs to GO, and Greene could be a guy to fill in. Havelid I am on the fence about as well. I think Salvador should have played his last game in a Devils sweater. I would not mind having Martin, Oduya, White, and Havelid, but we need to acquire a stud.....JAY BOUWMEESTER! Solid d-man, and YOUNG. Will have for years to come. We could really use a puck moving defenseman. A guy like Scotty Nieds could have made the difference between a first round flop, and a 4th cup ring. Without defenseman who can move the puck, we will suffer season after season of first round exits.

C. All of the Marty haters on here are dumb. He did not play excellent last night, but he is not the reason we lost. Right before the tying goal last night the Canes looked like they were on a 5 on 3 PP. We could not clear the zone when our playoff lives depended on it, and now the Devils can watch the 2nd round of the playoffs on TV. Marty is still the backbone of this team, and will continue to be so until he retires. (that will be a sad day regardless of who we have lined up as his successor)

D. Lou Lamoriello...like George Steinbrunner, "the game has passed him by." He was instrumental in putting together Cup winning teams, but his moves in the past few years are questionable at best. Rolston and Zubrus were complete BUSTS. Rollie would have been worth his contract from last night's goal alone if it held up as the game winner, but alas it did not. Lou needs to get out of his cheap hardball mentality and realize that to win in this NHL you are going to need to pony up and pay for MARQUEE talent. He will fork out mid level money to guys like Rolston, but will never land the big fish. Save those mid level contracts and bring in a proven ALL STAR caliber player!

E. TEAM TOUGHNESS....we do not have ANY! Back in the mid-late 90's the Devils were a feisty bunch. Tough defenseman like Stevens and Dano who WOULD NOT ALLOW MARTY TO BE HIT! These days every team runs Marty and it is somewhat effective. Even our forwards lack the testicular fortitude guys like McKay, Guerin, etc had. This team is just a very soft bunch, and has been for a few seasons. We need some gritty players who aren't afraid to get their noses dirty and rough it up when necessary.

That's all for now...

After the game ended last night, as seats emptied and most of those who stayed behind sat in disbelief, this guy in the front of my section absolutely lost it. He tossed his hat around, screamed bloody murder, kicked seats and punched at the air. It was in that moment that I realized that, no matter how crushing a defeat my favorite sports team may suffer, I never want to react like a giant baby the way that dude did. My friends and I actually shared a laugh at this guy's expense, and suddenly the whole night/season came into perspective.

This team will not win the Cup every year. Expecting them to will only foolishly set you up for an embarassing emotional breakdown like that guy in my section. But if the team gives you anything worth cheering for during the season and you have fun in the process, then it was all totally worth while.

...I went to bed, stared at the ceiling. Went downstairs to sit and watch ESPN. Went to bed, stared at the ceiling... rinse /repeat `till about 4am. I couldn't believe it. (still can't really) 1 minute and twenty second away from 2nd Round with Washington. just unreal.

I said it before in another thread.... does it hurt worse than '01? No. Worse than '94 or '88? No. In fact I still feel '96 -vs- Ottawa was more heartbreaking. (Daneyko cried after the horn blew) But it's the next one after @ #5, in franchise history.

Last nights loss hurt a lot and i've moped all around all day, but after reading this thread it made me feel better. There have been worse games and there have been many great things that have happened to the team. I agree with what Colin 226 said..i hope to be a wise Devils fan like you guys some day. I started following the Devils when i was 9 years old (1998-1999 season) and the first playoff experience i got was that loss to the Penguins in game 7 of the quarterfinals. It was very painful to watch and it upset me alot, but over the next few years i would have that top of the world feeling when the Devils won the cup in 2000 and 2003. That's what makes sports great. You experience extreme disappointment one year and you could be tasting all the glory the next year. I will always be a Devils fan and i will always love the team, no matter what happens.

Last nights loss hurt a lot and i've moped all around all day, but after reading this thread it made me feel better. There have been worse games and there have been many great things that have happened to the team. I agree with what Colin 226 said..i hope to be a wise Devils fan like you guys some day. I started following the Devils when i was 9 years old (1998-1999 season) and the first playoff experience i got was that loss to the Penguins in game 7 of the quarterfinals. It was very painful to watch and it upset me alot, but over the next few years i would have that top of the world feeling when the Devils won the cup in 2000 and 2003. That's what makes sports great. You experience extreme disappointment one year and you could be tasting all the glory the next year. I will always be a Devils fan and i will always love the team, no matter what happens.

Yeah I agree with you and DaneykoIsGod.. I mean it hurts to think that we have to wait a whole year before we get a second chance, but when you think about it winning the Cup 3 times in 9 years is spectacular and it's still losing at some point in the season 67% of the time.. More seasons than not you are going to taste defeat, but the true fan (in my opinion) keeps everything in perspective and realizes this. The true fan still supports his/her team even through heartbreak.. It's still going to take me a few more seasons before I can be able to fully put a loss like that behind me quickly..

I cried for a minute last night, but woke up this morning wanting nothing more than to be in my seat for Opening Night of the '09 - '10 season ready to see that great Devils hockey I love.. Nothing will change the past so live for the future