Playing Lou

Triumph

zajac didn't come out of nowhere. he was a 1st round pick and was groomed for his role. he was entirely on schedule. cormier making the team next year is off the radar.

I think what DP26 meant was it was a surprise he made it to the NHL without really playing in the AHL for any length of time. (I think he had like 2 games after his final college season ended). Albeit I wasn't into following prospects back then as much as I am now, but were a lot of people really expecting Zajac to make the team coming into camp?

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think what DP26 meant was it was a surprise he made it to the NHL without really playing in the AHL for any length of time. (I think he had like 2 games after his final college season ended). Albeit I wasn't into following prospects back then as much as I am now, but were a lot of people really expecting Zajac to make the team coming into camp?

Exactly what I meant. I didn't follow the prospects as much myself back then but what I was going for was that he went straight to NJ. Maybe Travis going to UND opposed to the OHL or QMJHL had something to do with it?

1. Parise Zajac Langs

2. Elias X Gio

3. Rolston Zubs Clarkson

4. Cormier Pelley Halischuk

flip flop Clarkson and Halischuk as needed

make a trade for 2nd line center-even a 2 year stop gap

as the Marty window is closing.

with his hockey smarts/better skills Halischuk eventually graduates to the third line as he

gets more comfortable/gains confidence at the NHL level. Time to go with the kids.

dump the dead wood/ -Jay, Madden, Rupp, PL3 etc.

i am not going to let this thread turn into a mottau-greene debate. if it happens, i'm just going to make a new thread.

I totally agree that its a moot debate.....but of course you have to this point with your usual arrogance.

OK everyone BASK IN THE GLORY of TRIUMPH's knowledge and breakdown!!!!!

Humility.

I think you have a little more space in that you're overpaying Zajac. The only way he makes that is if he gets sheeted. And you really can't put a big enough sheet out there to get him (within the realm of sanity), so I don't know if anyone will make the effort other than those who are looking to irk Lou. I'm *guessing* Zajac wouldn't sign that kind of sheet, but who knows.

It's possible he could get an average south of $3M. Maybe probable.

I think you have a little more space in that you're overpaying Zajac. The only way he makes that is if he gets sheeted. And you really can't put a big enough sheet out there to get him (within the realm of sanity), so I don't know if anyone will make the effort other than those who are looking to irk Lou. I'm *guessing* Zajac wouldn't sign that kind of sheet, but who knows.

It's possible he could get an average south of $3M. Maybe probable.

arbitration hears two words - 'jordan staal' - and the 4 million is zajac's. now maybe he takes something like 3.7 from lou on a long term deal, but south of $3M? he's leaving a ton of money on the table doing that. and let's not forget that with the nhl's revenue plan that the players already had a significant amount of their paychecks withheld this year.

Edited by Triumph

Projected 2008-09 Goal Scoring On Bare Bones Team:

(This isn't scientific - it's psuedo-scientific. please do not get on me for specific numbers. i used shooting percentages and shots on goal per game and it was quick and dirty.)

Players G

Parise 41

TZajac 22

Lngbnr 21

PElias 25

Zubrus 15

BRlstn 25

Brgfrs 16

Pndlfo 09

Clrksn 15

Lblond 02

Pelley 05

Hlschk 06

------------

Martin 07

JOduya 07

CWhite 02

Mottau 02

Slvdor 03

Greene 05

--------------

TOTAL: 228

Now as we know, the Devils scored 238 goals last season, so that's a 10 goal dropoff and isn't factoring in injuries which probably takes off around 10 goals total. The loss of goals comes from 4 main sources - the loss of Gionta and a downturn in Parise, Elias, and Langenbrunner's goal scoring.

Edited by Triumph

Team The First: First Round Loss Reunion Tour

Re-sign John Madden - 2 years/4 million

Re-sign Brendan Shanahan - 1 year/1.6 million

Forwards:

Parise-Zajac-Langenbrunner

Elias-Zubrus-Rolston

Pandolfo-Madden-Shanahan

Bergfors-Pelley-Clarkson

ex: PL

Edited by Triumph

The more I think about it, the more I think re-signing Madden might be an inevitability. It doesn't look like there is a better option out there, especially if we can lock him up for a $2M cap hit. Ideally, we'd find someone new. But realistically, this might be the path we have to travel.

Two things scare me about bringing Madden back. 1) Any time Madden and Pandolfo are on the same roster, they'll be paired together, and that is simply a wasted shift in today's NHL. 2) Another year with Madden means another year with Zubrus centering our second line.

Is this what you want to happen, or are you just going through possible scenarios?

I think it's very imprtant to get Bergfors top 6 minutes and play with some talent. You think he will get enough minutes and/or blossom on the 4th? From what I hear, Bergfors has a nasty wrist shot. Remember all those weak ass top of the circle Gionta shots; maybe Bergfors could bury a few of those.

Is this what you want to happen, or are you just going through possible scenarios?

possible scenarios. i don't think anything i want to happen is going to happen.

I think it's very imprtant to get Bergfors top 6 minutes and play with some talent. You think he will get enough minutes and/or blossom on the 4th? From what I hear, Bergfors has a nasty wrist shot. Remember all those weak ass top of the circle Gionta shots; maybe Bergfors could bury a few of those.

bergfors' shooting percentage in the minors isn't great. but how can he get top 6 minutes? you've got elias, rolston, langenbrunner, and parise ahead of him. the only way he does is if zubrus slides down to the third line - something which i will explore a little later. otherwise, i think there's just too much talent in front of him.

Edited by Triumph

The more I think about it, the more I think re-signing Madden might be an inevitability. It doesn't look like there is a better option out there, especially if we can lock him up for a $2M cap hit. Ideally, we'd find someone new. But realistically, this might be the path we have to travel.

Two things scare me about bringing Madden back. 1) Any time Madden and Pandolfo are on the same roster, they'll be paired together, and that is simply a wasted shift in today's NHL. 2) Another year with Madden means another year with Zubrus centering our second line.

If we can lock up Madden for $2m, then sure. But I don't see that happening.

If we can lock up Madden for $2m, then sure. But I don't see that happening.

there are a ton of centers like john madden available: sami pahlsson, manny malhotra, mike peca, todd marchant, dominic moore, stephane yelle, ian laperriere, blair betts. john madden had 7 goals this season. if he wants more than 2m, fine, we'll just sign peca or pahlsson or marchant. these guys are going to be first to get the pay cuts.

pride 26: absolutely. that goes for anyone, so long as it's reasonable and well-thought out.

Edited by Triumph

I have a few ideas of my own. Its kind of long but it's not much different than yours/others i've seen and probably not enough to start another thread. Do you mind if I post it in here?

either way i would say is fine. as i said previously, i don't mind if every poster put out ideas for next year in their own thread - as long as it makes sense and is somewhat reasonable.

dp26 - solid thoughts. ohlund is on my radar too (not sure about 5 years for him though).

for accuracy sake, halischuk's cap number is .875.

w/o any UFAs, lou won't dump pando for so a guy from lowell can take his spot - especially if there is cap room left.

i don't know that i'm ready to sign on for a full year of shanahan - maybe, but i don't think so.

Given the dearth of FA centers, wouldn't it be in the team's interest to have Elias or Rolston at center? I mean, it's not ideal but it might be the team's best option.

i think it will likely come to that with one of them centering the other on the 2nd line. i'm hoping not because i don't fancy either as a good center, but we'll have to see what pieces lou fills in with.

i think it will likely come to that with one of them centering the other on the 2nd line. i'm hoping not because i don't fancy either as a good center, but we'll have to see what pieces lou fills in with.

My thoughts as well. Part of the reason I want to go with a D through UFA is Cammy is the only applicable 2nd line center and a bunch of teams are going to get into a bidding war over him. There are about 5 solid defensemen who could crack our first pair though. Then you look at a trade; we don't have the assets for a 2nd line center. Who are you going to get and more importantly, who are you giving up?

Then you look at a trade; we don't have the assets for a 2nd line center. Who are you going to get and more importantly, who are you giving up?

this is not necessarily true. i have one in mind that i think would work - calgary's craig conroy. last year on his contract, 1.5MM cap hit - i would deal a 2nd + above average prospect for him.

this is not necessarily true. i have one in mind that i think would work - calgary's craig conroy. last year on his contract, 1.5MM cap hit - i would deal a 2nd + above average prospect for him.

I can't get too excited about Conroy pretty old, 12 goals each of the last 2 seasons. Is he really that much better than Rolston? OTOH, he had 36 assists and is very cheap. How is he on faceoffs?