New Jersey Baseball

Neutral Zone Trap

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fixed.

I'm sure there was some humor intended here, but it pisses me off whenever I see see references that Yankees fans have only been fans since '96 and that crap. Yes, I'm sure there were/are many, but I'm sure not one of them. Fan since 1993, went to my first game Sept 19 of that year. I'm sure Petey can speak for himself, but that got me a little riled up, and I wasn't even the one referenced.

Anyway, I guess my opinion on the topic at hand can be gleaned from above. I don't think I could do it. Too much loyalty I guess. It'd be easier for me if they were in the NL though, lol. Thankfully, as has been said already, this likely won't happen anyway.

Oh and DiG, there are a few teams in North Jersey too I believe, Sussex Skyhawks is one. I seem to remember the Cardinals having an affiliate in North Jersey also, and that Albert Pujols played there very briefly when he was coming up, though I could be mistaken. Not sure if that team is still there.

I'm sure there was some humor intended here, but it pisses me off whenever I see see references that Yankees fans have only been fans since '96 and that crap. Yes, I'm sure there were/are many, but I'm sure not one of them. Fan since 1993, went to my first game Sept 19 of that year. I'm sure Petey can speak for himself, but that got me a little riled up, and I wasn't even the one referenced.

Anyway, I guess my opinion on the topic at hand can be gleaned from above. I don't think I could do it. Too much loyalty I guess. It'd be easier for me if they were in the NL though, lol. Thankfully, as has been said already, this likely won't happen anyway.

Oh and DiG, there are a few teams in North Jersey too I believe, Sussex Skyhawks is one. I seem to remember the Cardinals having an affiliate in North Jersey also, and that Albert Pujols played there very briefly when he was coming up, though I could be mistaken. Not sure if that team is still there.

Sussex moved into the Cards ballpark when the Cards moved on. There is also the NJ Jackals that play at Montclair State.

There were/are many indeed...the same kind who will tell you that New York has always been a Yankee town, when that's not at all true...back in the mid-to-late 80s New York was clearly a Met town. It all has to do with who's winning. I'm not saying all current Yankee fans are bandwagon types. My uncle has been a huge Yankee fan all his life, and he's stuck with em' through it all...including the Charlie Hudson/Andy Hawkins/Richard Dotson/Dave LaPointe/Mel Hall/Stump Merrill years. (Petey and fans like him couldn't tell you a word about any of those guys without looking them up first.) I've known several of those fans, and as much as I hate the Yankees, I was actually somewhat happy for those fans when the Yanks won in '96, because they had suffered through some embarrassing moments and rough seasons, both on AND off the field (Howie Spira anyone?).

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No more on this, as I don't want the thread to be hijacked.

Back on topic...the Sussex Skyhawks play where the Cardinals used to. (I see that mac760 already said that.) I've been to the Somerset Patriots ballpark...it's quite nice, and for $20 you can get a picnic table with an all-you-can-eat buffet. I've also been to the Jackals' park. The food's not outstanding, but good enough.

When you think about it, it's really amazing how many baseball teams there are in New Jersey. Lakewood BlueClaws, Somerset Patriots, Newark Bears, Camden Riversharks, Atlantic City Surf, Trenton Thunder ... am I missing any?

New Jersey Jackals

used to go to their games with my dad alot when i was little

This is highly unlikely to happen, but just for the sake of debate I'm interested in the feedback.

Let's say a MLB baseball team was "created" in New Jersey.

Would the fans on this board who follow the Mets and Yankees switch allegiance and support the New Jersey team ?

I'd like to hear the reasons why not if you'd still keep supporting the New York teams.

No way. Why? Because Im loyal to the Mets, they are my team.

edit: i guess another reason is that hockey and baseball are like equal for me, i think most people here just are casual baseball fans (not everyone, im just saying the ones who seem to have no problems switching allegiance from their team to the NJ team).. but otherwise I just cant understand how a diehard Yank/Met/whatever fan would have no problem switching allegiance to an NJ team.

Edited by nmigliore

edit: i guess another reason is that hockey and baseball are like equal for me, i think most people here just are casual baseball fans (not everyone, im just saying the ones who seem to have no problems switching allegiance from their team to the NJ team).. but otherwise I just cant understand how a diehard Yank/Met/whatever fan would have no problem switching allegiance to an NJ team.

This is the biggest reason why there are so many Rangers and Flyers fans in New Jersey.

Baseball would probably be the last sport to create a team in NJ solely because of the Yankees... and the Mets a little bit. There is such a huge fan base of Yankee fans not only in our area, but nation wide, and in NJ it would be hard to get people to turn on a dynasty team like the Yanks. There are also a lot of Met fans, so it would never work but interesting topic.

Baseball would probably be the last sport to create a team in NJ solely because of the Yankees... and the Mets a little bit. There is such a huge fan base of Yankee fans not only in our area, but nation wide, and in NJ it would be hard to get people to turn on a dynasty team like the Yanks. There are also a lot of Met fans, so it would never work but interesting topic.

Yeah, baseball and football seem unlikely to every have a true New Jersey team.

Hell, at this point, I'd settle for a professional level basketball team to complement the hockey. :whistling:

My point is hard to explain, but it really does make sense.

You can't squeeze a sports franchise in between the two biggest sports markets, Philly and NY, and expect a big fan-base. That's why the Devils have a small fan-base. You espescially can't squeeze in a baseball franchise. Most people who are baseball fans are very loyal fans who have been fans of their team their whole life. I think the Devils were able to have some success as far as getting fans because hockey was never really that popular, and certainly wasn't in 1982. Therefore, I think you got a lot of people who were just casual fans that started to like the Devils. I think a New Jersey Baseball team would have no fans because most Yankees and Phillies fans are very loyal (The Mets don't count because atleast 75% of your team has to be able to speak English in order to count).

Edited by Donato2327

You can't squeeze a sports franchise in between the two biggest sports markets, Philly and NY, and expect a big fan-base. That's why the Devils have a small fan-base. You espescially can't squeeze in a baseball franchise. Most people who are baseball fans are very loyal fans who have been fans of their team their whole life. I think the Devils were able to have some success as far as getting fans because hockey was never really that popular, and certainly wasn't in 1982. Therefore, I think you got a lot of people who were just casual fans that started to like the Devils. I think a New Jersey Baseball team would have no fans because most Yankees and Phillies fans are very loyal (The Mets don't count because atleast 75% of your team has to be able to speak English in order to count).

Wrong about hockey in 1982. The Islanders were right in the middle of their 4-Cup run. I remember a lot of Islander fans at that time, and a fair bit of interest in hockey.

Stupid comment regarding the Mets. As long as a team's winning no one cares about who speaks what language, or where they come from. As for the "no fans" comment...the fact that the team would have "New Jersey" as part of its name would get a certain percentage of the Yankee, Met, Phillie, and out-of-town teams' fans. It would depend on what league they played in, of course...if it was the NL, die-hard Yankee fans could adopt them as a second-fave, and vice-versa for the Met/Phillie fans if they were an AL team.

Wrong about hockey in 1982. The Islanders were right in the middle of their 4-Cup run. I remember a lot of Islander fans at that time, and a fair bit of interest in hockey.

Stupid comment regarding the Mets. As long as a team's winning no one cares about who speaks what language, or where they come from. As for the "no fans" comment...the fact that the team would have "New Jersey" as part of its name would get a certain percentage of the Yankee, Met, Phillie, and out-of-town teams' fans. It would depend on what league they played in, of course...if it was the NL, die-hard Yankee fans could adopt them as a second-fave, and vice-versa for the Met/Phillie fans if they were an AL team.

The Phillies can keep their fans, please.

I think a New Jersey Baseball team would have no fans because most Yankees and Phillies fans are very loyal

Loyal? haha thats a good one.. your own shortshop called you front-runners.

And yeah the comment about the Mets was pretty retarded, especially when you are completely wrong b/c all of them speak English besides Ken Takahashi. Not to mention its racist.

But next time please try to speak on a non biased standpoint, thanks.

Edited by nmigliore

That was uncalled for. Do you have something against non-english speaking people, that they don't count?

The Mets are in first place, although its early, it's much better to be there than 3rd or 4th.

I would like to agree with that 100%

I have been a Yankees fan since I was born. There is still a picture in my parents house of me 3 days after I was born wearing a Yankee shirt. My old man didn't wait to long to start that process of grooming me. :P

I have invested to many years and to much time to ever turn my back on this team even if a team ever did come to NJ. I can't ever just drop a team I have cheered for for the last 30 years.

As much as I hate the Rags and Flyers I don't blame their fans one bit for not jumping ship when a team came to NJ. I can't blame them because I wouldn't do it either if MLB ever put a team in NJ which we have a better chance of seeing Christ come down from the heavens then that ever happening.

Sussex moved into the Cards ballpark when the Cards moved on. There is also the NJ Jackals that play at Montclair State.

Gotcha, I thought there was another one up there, lol.

There were/are many indeed...the same kind who will tell you that New York has always been a Yankee town, when that's not at all true...back in the mid-to-late 80s New York was clearly a Met town. It all has to do with who's winning. I'm not saying all current Yankee fans are bandwagon types. My uncle has been a huge Yankee fan all his life, and he's stuck with em' through it all...including the Charlie Hudson/Andy Hawkins/Richard Dotson/Dave LaPointe/Mel Hall/Stump Merrill years. (Petey and fans like him couldn't tell you a word about any of those guys without looking them up first.) I've known several of those fans, and as much as I hate the Yankees, I was actually somewhat happy for those fans when the Yanks won in '96, because they had suffered through some embarrassing moments and rough seasons, both on AND off the field (Howie Spira anyone?).

Anyway that's my story and I'm sticking to it. No more on this, as I don't want the thread to be hijacked.

Back on topic...the Sussex Skyhawks play where the Cardinals used to. (I see that mac760 already said that.) I've been to the Somerset Patriots ballpark...it's quite nice, and for $20 you can get a picnic table with an all-you-can-eat buffet. I've also been to the Jackals' park. The food's not outstanding, but good enough.

Having now seen your response here, I see you were more directly addressing Petey rather than Yankee fans in general. The latter is how I took it, and that's why I responded the way I did. I appreciate the response and apologize if I came off badly. I can't take a refernece to me being a bandwagoner when it's not warranted. The only time I could think of it being warranted for me, is when the Nets were doing decent earlier in the decade, and I would be rooting for them to win, mostly cause they were a Jersey team and we shared the same building at the time of course. It's funny you mention Dave LaPointe though. I worked for those Somerset Patriots in the Atlantic League for several years, and LaPointe was with the Ducks coaching and one of my favorites in the league, good guy.

Anyway, apologies for the (hopefully temporary) thread hijack. Thanks for clearing that up, mac and CR, re: the Jackals, and the Cards leaving and Skyhawks moving in. Despite the reputation of the town, Campbell's Field in Camden is a really nice park, set right next to the Ben Franklin Bridge for a great backdrop while watching a game.

Edited by ClarkyDano23

Im a die hard Mets fan and if a team did come to NJ i think I would still root for the Mets. If the Nj team was in the AL then i'd root for them too, but if they were in the same league as the Mets I dont think i could.

I think some of you guys took that Mets thing a little too serious. It wasn't supposed to be a racist joke, it was just an unfunny joke, my bad I'll make up for it next joke.

I see your point about which league, but I don't think alot of people would want to pay 40 bucks a ticket, 7 bucks a hotdog and 8 bucks a beer to see a team they kind of like.

Loyal? haha thats a good one.. your own shortshop called you front-runners.

And yeah the comment about the Mets was pretty retarded, especially when you are completely wrong b/c all of them speak English besides Ken Takahashi. Not to mention its racist.

But next time please try to speak on a non biased standpoint, thanks.

Actually I think it's a very unbiased opinion given I am not a PHILADELPHIA fan, just simply a Phillies and Eagles fan (Yes it is different because a PHILADELPHIA fan cheers for the Flyers, Phillies, Eagles and Sixers and certainly does not cheer for the Devils.) How can you call Philly fans frontrunners when Philly didn't win a championship for 25 years? All those teams sellout almost every night, except for the Sixers. Philly fans just start to panic WAY to fast and blame people WAY to fast. There are a few bandwagon jumpers, but every team and every city has bandwagon jumpers. The Red Sox have an entire "nation" of bandwagon jumpers.

And again, my bad for the bad joke

Edited by Donato2327

I see your point about which league, but I don't think alot of people would want to pay 40 bucks a ticket, 7 bucks a hotdog and 8 bucks a beer to see a team they kind of like.

The one thing a NJ stadium would have going for it would be the ease of getting there, compared to CitiField and Yankee Stadium (as well as Lincoln Financial). Suddenly Jerseyites don't have to navigate (multiple) bridges and tunnels (complete with expensive tolls) to see MLB. Think about how many more games NJ residents could go to...so much less traffic and travel time, and suddenly going to a night game during the week isn't so daunting (if I go to a Met game during the week, I'm not getting home until well after midnight, when I have to be up the next day by 6:00 AM). If NJ had a team, depending on where the stadium would be built, I could probably swing a few weeknight games a month. The convenience factor here is huge. Sure, it might start off as a novelty thing, where you go to see the Jersey team play the Mets or Yankees, and go to a few other games, but if you find yourself going to the Jersey team's building more and more, chances are you'd start becoming a real fan of theirs.

The one thing a NJ stadium would have going for it would be the ease of getting there, compared to CitiField and Yankee Stadium (as well as Lincoln Financial). Suddenly Jerseyites don't have to navigate (multiple) bridges and tunnels (complete with expensive tolls) to see MLB. Think about how many more games NJ residents could go to...so much less traffic and travel time, and suddenly going to a night game during the week isn't so daunting (if I go to a Met game during the week, I'm not getting home until well after midnight, when I have to be up the next day by 6:00 AM). If NJ had a team, depending on where the stadium would be built, I could probably swing a few weeknight games a month. The convenience factor here is huge. Sure, it might start off as a novelty thing, where you go to see the Jersey team play the Mets or Yankees, and go to a few other games, but if you find yourself going to the Jersey team's building more and more, chances are you'd start becoming a real fan of theirs.

I agree. I think a NJ MLB team would have a fighting chance in that many have a tough time getting into and in turn paying for the Mets/Yanks/Phils. The team would probably be facing alot of "road" games like the Devs do at times though while the fan base was built.

Edited by mac760