Observations From The Caa

smelly

My latest installment of random observations from Section 105:

- Brian Gionta will be a Devil for a long time. Yes, he is undersized. And yes, he hasn't scored much. But there are few better blue line to red line and dump it in players on the team. And he has a ton of heart.

- I haven't seen a replay, but, at least live, Marty looked awful on Pahlsson's goal. And, from observing him during stoppages, it looks like his left knee is bothering him. My prediction: it will come out this summer that he has been playing hurt. And if that's the case, it had to have happened in OT of Game 6 against Ott, when he was plowed into and appeared to be shaken up.

- A lot of us, me included, consistently underrate Scott Niedermayer. You could make a solid argument that, after Marty, Scott is the most indespensible Devil.

- This team showed a lot of heart tonite, especially after Sykora's goal. It never seemed to bother them, and Rheaume's goal seemed inevitable.

- Turner Stevenson was a madman tonite. And his presence in the lineup, along with Rupp and Marshall, really gives the Devs the ability to literally pound the Ducks' D shift after shift after shift.

- Rupp is a player. No, he will never be more than a third liner. But his positioning, willingness to use his body, skating ability, and poise have made me a believer.

- There was a palpable feeling in the arena that the Devs would not be denied.

- I really feel that the Devs will close this out -- and in convincing fashion -- on Sat. There are enough guys in that lockerroom who can still feel the sting of 2001. And the Devils are clearly the better team.

Two other observations I omitted:

- The most hilarious sight I have seen all season: as 8 pm arrives, Englom standing on the ice next to Pang, who is standing on a box that must be at least a foot and a half tall.

- As the Devs poured it on, the ABC "studio" crew, esp. Saunders and Berman, looked like they were going to cry.

- A lot of us, me included, consistently underrate Scott Niedermayer. You could make a solid argument that, after Marty, Scott is the most indespensible Devil.

Niedermayer just played an absolutely sick game. I don't know if there's another player in the league that can breeze through the neutral zone like him, maybe Federov. His carry on Langenbrunners first goal was textbook Niedermayer-turning-it-on. That's why he's Scott and not Rob.

- The most hilarious sight I have seen all season: as 8 pm arrives, Englom standing on the ice next to Pang, who is standing on a box that must be at least a foot and a half tall.

Yeah I was watching him on tv carefully wait for El Chico to push him off his box.

I might as well put my game thoughts in this thread since I was at the CAA too.

First of all interesting angle on the Marty hurt thing. He has had his worst games of the playoffs since that Game 6 against Ottawa (Game 7, Games 3 and 5 of this series he was awful in all of them really). It's actually kind of amazing that we have a 3-2 lead without Marty playing at his best (though he did have three shutouts in the first four games essentially) and without Niewy.

I've started thinking Michelin Man is too good for Giguere. I'm now gonna call him the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man :lol: Speaking of which I guess he didn't pump up his pads enough tonight :P Or maybe he was rusty after three days off :rolleyes: Whatever the case, the aura's gone now. He may play well yet in this series but it won't be because he's as great as he's been in prior rounds.

The two best one liners of the day; one from a sign one verbal:

Sign: ABC - Always Biased Coverage

Verbal : J.S. - stands for Jack sh--

Crowd rocked today especially in the third period. :lol: Eisner can stuff that victory cigar up his a$$ :P

Wild game; I can't remember a single playoff game with so many violent shifts of momentum. It was huge for us to win; especially after blowing two leads. The more leads we blew, the less we could afford to lose.

Speaking of blown leads nice that Anaheim finally lost a game when scoring first :P

Nice that the Devs tied a record for home wins in the playoffs :clap: to go along with the road record they set in '95 and '00. The Devils - a team that can win anywhere :)

One to go boys, one to go.

I read on another board that the crowd was really hostile towards eisner...did anyone at the game see him, and if you were there can you describe the overall attitude of the crowd...I know a lot of people there must have been extra insane after the stupid comments from the disney CEO...I know I am...

:burn:

Nieds literally oozes talent, and when he uses all of it and works hard, I'm not sure there is a more all-around dominating defenseman in the NHL.

He saktes the puck out of danger every time he is on the ice, burning some duckings along the way. Forgetaboutit when he wants to take the puck further too, because he's gone.

I've been saying it for years, Neids is a top 5 player in the NHL, right up there with forsberg, lidstrom, sakic and maybe federov or sundin to round out the top 5. Those are the 5 or 6 who've consistently shown themselves as the top guys over the last several years, others may have more or equal talent, but haven't shown it year in year out (naslund, iginla, lindros, leetch, etc. etc.) (of course, I've also ranted about how sometimes he just doesn't show up and it's just so frustrating to see a player with so much talent not use it, or only go half speed {ala jagr who would be top 5 if he wasn't so up and down}). I've always wanted to get a Nied's jersey, but I'm too afraid of jinxing things by doing so and seeing him leave our beloved devils (I have lemieux, guerin, maclean, and mogilny in my closet, so I now stay away from players I want to keep in NJ).

Anyway, ugly game last night on defense, good offense though. Say what you will about lucky bounces and stuff, but three and four devils attacking the net all night creates those lucky bounces and stuff. Also, guys like elias and langenbrunner burrying their chances when they got them was key.

Last note, what about that John Madden. Damn. What a competitor. Gets a deep skate blade cut across his cheek, goes in back an takes some 20 stitches. Gets right back out there and plays his in-your-face hockey right away, misses what, 3 shifts. Ladies and Gentlemen, may I introduce the next captain of the Devils (upon Scott Stevens retirement, whenever that may come).

-Smelly says

There was a palpable feeling in the arena that the Devs would not be denied.

Funny, watching at home I had the exect same feeling. Skora's goal didn't bother me in the least.

By the way, was that Eisnerrrr! Eisnerrr! that he crowd was chanting in the third? Funny how ABC didn't show any close-ups last night of Mikey.

In the third period, there was three chant's that was started

and died quickly.

A. Eisner Suck's

B. Eisner (Drawn Out)

C. Disney Suck's

Like i said, everytime the chant would start, there was a break in the game

and music started playing or the PA announcer would start talking.

P.S. For all you Ranger fan's....Do yourself a favor, if for some reason that

there is a game 7 monday night, stay the F home, i had four of them sitting behind me all night, rooting for the Duck's and talking s**t about the Devils, I can't take it anymore...I'm about ready to throw down with these A-Hole's!!

P.S. For all you Ranger fan's....Do yourself a favor, if for some reason that

there is a game 7 monday night, stay the F home, i had four of them sitting behind me all night, rooting for the Duck's and talking s**t about the Devils, I can't take it anymore...I'm about ready to throw down with these A-Hole's!!

Dude, let it go.

If you're not just over-the-top with YOUR team now, then you never will be.

The history books will speak for the decade of dominance over the Rags.

I forgot to mention that Eisner was there in the box right behind

section 115. He was there in front most of the game, and everytime the

Devils scored, he was nowhere near the front of the box. He also left when

the Devils made it 6 - 3.

Was not at game last night, but friend of mine thought the best sign in the CAA last night was:

"Please...No Overtime"

I saw that one too. I don't think I could have taken another overtime myself with all the twists and turns in the game last night and really in the last two series total :P

- The most hilarious sight I have seen all season:  as 8 pm arrives, Englom standing on the ice next to Pang, who is standing on a box that must be at least a foot and a half tall.

Yeah I was watching him on tv carefully wait for El Chico to push him off his box.

Damn ushers tackled me, lol.