Why Were The Tv Braino's Calling Stevens Hit

Rock

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That hit was really a pretty sight, gave me great memories (2000). See the difference with this hit and the Lindros hit (that knocked him out for good) was that Kariya's head didn't smack the ice when he came down like Lindros' did, that's what REALLY did Eric in.

Ridiculous. It's called "finishing the check." These guys were ridiculous tonight. How many times did Thorne screw up who had the puck?

Oh, and the "natural hat trick" thing was priceless. Gary thinks a NHT is scoring 3 in one period. That's great that ESPN's "1st string" play-by-play guy doesn't even know what the hell it is.

Was it in the game thread that i confessed?

Explain to me why I was blushing after that hit... I was pretty clam about it all with everyone - it was fair - I'm sure it wasn't even that bad ... then I flushed beet red!!! I felt my cheeks get all red hot -- it was a trauma even! Everyone just laughed at me.

in the postgame, kariya said it was a late hit.

the sideline reporter woman (good job by her) said the the NHL said is was a legal hit

Stevens must have knocked the sense out of him, he passes then bang. I forgot they want NHL to stand for Non Hitting League. :angry:

in the postgame, kariya said it was a late hit.

the sideline reporter woman (good job by her) said the the NHL said is was a legal hit

How the fvck would he know?

Guess his head was too much in the game -- Stevens must have knocked him senseless enough to losen him up.

It was a very questionable hit, one that truly questions what is on either side of the borderline.

I'll put it this way, I've played hockey for about 10 years, and play at the college level. If I was hit, or a teammate of mine was hit in the same fashion, I would be extremely angry.

It was a very questionable hit, one that truly questions what is on either side of the borderline.

I'll put it this way, I've played hockey for about 10 years, and play at the college level. If I was hit, or a teammate of mine was hit in the same fashion, I would be extremely angry.

Could you go a little deeper into what was questionable about it. I thought everything was legal about it. Not trying to flame, just understand.

A few minutes later, they retracted that saying that Kariya had the puck when Scott began his motion toward him. Then JD repeated it a bunch of times that it was a good hit, clean hit.

Clean or not, I'm just shocked not one player on Anaheim mixed it up with Scotty after the play nor later in the period.

I'll put it this way, I've played hockey for about 10 years, and play at the college level.  If I was hit, or a teammate of mine was hit in the same fashion, I would be extremely angry.

Could you go a little deeper into what was questionable about it. I thought everything was legal about it. Not trying to flame, just understand.

The way in which Stevens made the actual hit was clean, total shoulder with no elbow.

The question is whether it was late or not. Kariya had already released the puck and made several strides before Stevens caught him. Most players view that as intentionally taking a run at another player.

I'm as big as a Devil fan as anyone, I love the way Scotty plays, and would always be the first one to back him up. However, on this hit he did catch Kariya a little late. It's a matter of fractions of a second that we're talking here. However, at the same time it's possible to let up when need be. I'm normally very biased in the Devils favor, but the first thing that popped into my mind after the replay was Stevens shouldn't have finished that check.

Again, the technique of the hit was classic, but as fast as the game is played, it was a late hit.

This is the problem with the NHL of today. They have that stupid instigator rule which takes away any fear of Stevens facing retribution. Had he thrown a hit like that in the 80's his ass would have been handed to him by a McSorely/Dave Brown type the very next shift.

Stevens in my opinion is a coward. He goes out of his way to injure people. And don't give me the crap that the guy had his head down. You have to draw the line somewhere. How big is Paul Karyia? Stevens is a coward. Stevens already effectively ended one of the NHL's most marketable stars career when he knocked Lindros useless, now he tries to kill another star. The league needs to protect it's stars. Like I said before the NHL was so much better off when the players policed themselves. Do you really think Stevens would be doing that if he knew the next shift he was going to have the crap beat out of him? Why do you think Gretzky was NEVER run like that? Because anyone who tried knew they would have to face McSorely.

EZ, I see the point you are trying to make, and I completely agree re: instigator rule.

However, Stevens has been making those hits since he first entered this league 21 years ago. He has. He has, he has, he has. Don't tell me it wasn't done druing the 80's. It was.

The difference is that you believe that nobody stands up to Stevens now equates Stevens wouldn't stand up to anybody. Last time I checked Stevens hasn't turned down a fight.

He took a punch to the face and laughed at the guy. That's the last time I saw him "turn down" a fight.

Is that the action of a coward?

Clean but devastating, if you don't like it move to Europe. Aren't you a Flyers or a Leafs fan or something? Are you trying to convince us that they're angels?

Come on here, the minute I see 1. the Ducks stepping up to fight Stevens or 2. Stevens turn down a fight, I'll eat all my words and believe you.

However, it won't happen. You are living in a fantasy world where lack of evidence "supports" your lousy opinion.

Stevens is no coward. Does he turn down fights? No.

Where on earth is your evidence? Nowhere.

The sad thing is I completely agree with you about the Instigator, I really do. (Sorry for a fresh post but I have done some more thinking and could add some more.)

The 80's had more wide-open hockey and no, nobody took runs at Gretzky. However, Stevens DID hit like he does now. If anything, this just supports my statement that Stevens is not a coward. He was willing to face the retribution. Often he won.

Maybe you forgot, maybe you didn't see him in his Washington games, or maybe you forgot that series when Washington beat Philly in overtime. Stevens was there. I guarantee he laid out some nice, clean checks that series even with all of Philly's tough guys on the ice.

You had a great point until you tried to label Stevens a coward. You are really showing your orange and black shades here. You are trying to connect the Lindros his with the Kariya hit. Did Kariya have a concussion? No. Did Kariya come back to play? Yes. Did Kariya sit out a year? No, he got back on the ice and scored a goal in the very same period.

I am sorry, but polluting the anti-instigator penalty with "Stevens is a coward" and "look at the Lindros hit" comments are a disgrace. Take off the orange and black shades.

Maybe coward was a bad choice of words. I mean a coward when it comes to respecting other players. Don't get me wrong he's definitely a warrior, but he has NO respect for other players which IMO is classless. No one on the ducks is going to challenge him because they don't have that type of player. Actually that type of player doesn't exist in the NHL anymore. Gary Buttman has taken that from the NHL with his new sissy Euro-NHL. Guys like Brashear, McCarthy are a joke. They all think they can score and don't need to fight anymore. Like I want to see Sandy McCarthy stick handling, please.

I know he's hit his whole career, but can you name me a guy he hit in the 80's like he's hit Karyia/Doan/Lindros? When did he lay people out so they needed to be helped off the ice back then?

I too grew up playing ice hockey and played all the way threw to the college level as a defensemen. The one noticable thing about the 80's vs. today is the equipment. The elbow pads are like body armor today unlike the stuff that was used 15 years ago. If you put a shoulder, or elbow into someone's head nowadays at full speed it's like hitting him with a plastic hammer. It's dangerous and ridiculous.

I just hate what Bettman has done to the NHL. And I think Stevens needs to reconsider pulling up instead of trying to injure other players then claiming it's all part of the game.

Stevens is by no way a coward. When push comes to shove he's one of the toughest players in NHL history, that can't be argued.

In is defense he had decided he was going to make the hit before Kariya got rid of the puck. But, I still think he could have let up in that scenario. Regardless, it's over and done with. Hopefully on monday night it's not even considered when Scotty is hoisting the cup in front of 19,040 faithful.