Rumor- Kovalchuk to Devils

adavid

What's wrong with Detroit? Not like any of us that work in the city actually live there. Michigan is a beautiful state (go check out the U.P.) and there are plenty of nice areas to live in. That's like trashing NJ because of the Newark area.

And what exactly does the UP have to do with Detroit? That is like saying Atlanta is on the ocean because it is in the same state as Savannah....

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kovy very much in play, but I'm being told that the Blackhawks aren't in the mix right now.

http://twitter.com/CraigCustance/

Not surprised to hear the Devils attached to Kovalchuk. When Hossa was dealt at the deadline, I was told NJ offered ATL Gionta.

http://twitter.com/CraigCustance/

At this point, Thrashers will not let any team talk to Kovalchuk about an extension. To do so would put power in hands of player/agent.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Edited by brodeur14301991

I think we're talking, but I don't see how we can win this, with so much competition, with anything other than outright stupidity.

especially when there's teams like the Hawks and Kings that can give out NHL players if they're so inclined. we really can't, because we only have so many top 6 guys and a few are untouchable, either because they're Parise, or because they play a position we have no one else at (Zajac)....

"next few hours or days" there expecting a trade. Thats a bit exciting.

a 1st, halichuk, and rolston is the most I'd give and if the Thrashers really want they can change rolston for peters.

Edited by Par99

Rolston is not going anywhere He has a NTC and he recently bought a 5 million dollar house in my town

You sure it's not a yacht? If it floats it's probably right up Rollie's alley.

"next few hours or days" there expecting a trade. Thats a bit exciting.

a 1st, halichuk, and rolston is the most I'd give and if the Thrashers really want they can change rolston for peters.

Unfortunately Rolston's and Oduya's contracts no one will take so I don't see those two being traded plus Rolston does have the NTC.

Halischuk could be involved, but Corrente, Bergfors, Sestito would be more to offer.

Edited by SatansDevils

I think we're talking, but I don't see how we can win this, with so much competition, with anything other than outright stupidity.

especially when there's teams like the Hawks and Kings that can give out NHL players if they're so inclined. we really can't, because we only have so many top 6 guys and a few are untouchable, either because they're Parise, or because they play a position we have no one else at (Zajac)....

Chicago's in such bad shape cap-wise thanks to Tallon, they practically have to give away NHL players before next season, so they might as well do it for Kovalchuk. I'd put them as the front runner unless they just flat don't want him.

Halischuk could be involved, but Corrente, Bergfors, Sestito would be more to offer.

And this is why message boards get a bad name. I have as much trade value as Sestito, we basically traded a bag of pucks for him in the offseason and he hasn't done much to prove he's more than an AHL player (plus he's way past prospect age).

Edited by NJDevs26

Chicago, Rangers and Flyers are all just about capped out, so no way Kovy goes to those teams.

The Kings and the Devils as far as money under the cap are the 2 best places for Kovy. Also the Islanders and Bruins can have a good shot at Kovy especially the Bruins.

I disagree, all CHI or PHI has to do is give back a SIGNIFICANT, proven NHL player (i.e. Sharp, Carter).

That instantly puts them at the TOP of the list.

The Devils have to be the darkhorse on this one by a long shot.

Chicago, Rangers and Flyers are all just about capped out, so no way Kovy goes to those teams.

The Kings and the Devils as far as money under the cap are the 2 best places for Kovy. Also the Islanders and Bruins can have a good shot at Kovy especially the Bruins.

You acquire "cap space" as the season goes along, and you only have to pay Kovalchuk's prorated cap figure (this was how The Canucks signed Sundin midseason at a ridiculous figure). In other words, if you are 5 million under the cap the 1st half the season, you can be 5 million over the cap the 2nd half of the season.

They can make him fit without clearing too much salary.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

found this on HF boards Rob ray was on the local buffalo sports radio station and said he knew what team kovalchuk was going to but he had to keep it a secret and when they brought up the teams boston didnt sound like the the place he was going from what was said it sounded like either rangers or hawks but who knows where hell end up but just wanted to share that info.He said he talked to mathew barnaby who is with tsn today.Rob ray told mike shopp and the bulldog (hosts of the show) to keep thier phones near because its almost done,and buffalo would never give up what kovalchuk would aquire.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=733810&page=18

and this from Mckenzie's twitter

About a half dozen teams still in the mix for Kovalchuk. Likely to take at least another two or three days to sort itself out. No deadline.

http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

It would be nice if we could get him. Maybe Lou is able to pull some strings and get him without giving up someone like Zajac or something. Maybe Bergy, Rolston, and a 1st, I don't know. But if we don't get him, I'm fine with it, too. What I want most out of this, more than anything else, is for this thing to come to an end!

I think it is Saturday, February 13 is the last day then the freeze for the Olympics.

Willing to say and bet the 5-teams in the running for Kovalchuk...Devils are one of the 5-teams.

Based on what??? It makes no sense for Lou to even consider neo-kovy.

I disagree, all CHI or PHI has to do is give back a SIGNIFICANT, proven NHL player (i.e. Sharp, Carter).

That instantly puts them at the TOP of the list.

The Devils have to be the darkhorse on this one by a long shot.

Briere is probably the cap move from Philly.

the Rangers can't fit him under the cap without Atlanta taking back one of the "big 3 of suck".

the Rangers salary structure is FUBAR. they could offer Callahan, Del Zotto, and Anisimov and still be over the cap, and taking anything else w/ Kovalchuk would be out of the question.

NHL.com on 2/3/2010 at 3:39pm -

According to various reports out of Canada, including TSN and RDS, Thrashers captain Ilya Kovalchuk was told by GM Don Waddell that he should expect a trade either within the next few hours or the next few days.

The Kings, Bruins, Rangers, Flyers and Blackhawks are reportedly interested.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=515802

Edited by Colin226

i don't really get why the blackhawks want him. they need to upgrade their D if anything. do they want to free up some cap room just to use him as a playoff rental?

I think that's what it is. The Hawks can't keep everyone together with Toews, Kane and Keith's new contracts. Might as well trade either Sharp, Barker, Bolland, or Versteeg away now in order to get one of the best rentals of all-time.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.