GDT: Devils @ San Jose

MadDog2020

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah considering it is the best team in the WC and has scored the 2nd most goals in the NHL. Devils just sat back here in the 3rd and the Sharks were not going to lay down in this game.

They did the same thing vs the NYR. What was the excuse then? The meltdowns are a pattern and just not limited to that game and tonights.

It's not just this game, but this would be the icing on the cake conviently the night before the trade deadline. Enough is enough with these meltdowns, If LL was thinking of giving them the benefit of the doubt coming out of the break, that's gone should they lose.

This has been a recurring problem and you don't wait until the night before the deadline to decide whether to make a deal or not. Lou has probably been in talks the entire break about deals, this game has next to nothing to do with it. Anything can happen in the first game back from 2-weeks off.

Closer than it should've been, but I'll take it. They really need to stop giving up goals in bunches, it's a horrible trait.

If they do, expect a few moves by 3PM for sure. I was of the opinion at 4-0 that Lou might stand pat, seeing some things different, but i'm convinced at least one move by tommorow even if they win.

Good GM's don't make decisions based on one game. Lou would still be making a move if we had won 8-0.

I'm pretty fed up with this garbage. It was so nice getting a break from this team for 2 weeks because its just so frustrating watching a team make so many stupid mistakes time and time again. The 2nd goal was a bad bounce but you can't have your 4th line taking penalties in the first place. Goals one and three were just piss poor. The Kovalchuk breakaway disguised another stupid pass up the middle by Mottau which almost got picked off. Its incredible that you even attempt a pass like that after giving up 3 goals that quickly.

I just don't know how it is possible to turn a game you are in complete control of into this. I've been on the fence all season about what the Devils need more, an upgrade at center or on defense. They still need both but maybe you bite the bullet with the forwards as is and concentrate on the defense. A recovering Martin isn't going to be enough.

the devils had one penalty against all game - should they have none? i'm pretty fed up with the way this board reacts to wins over top teams. no, the 3 goals in 2 minutes wasn't pretty, but that's not going to get solved by adding one player, or two players.

the devils had one penalty against all game - should they have none? i'm pretty fed up with the way this board reacts to wins over top teams. no, the 3 goals in 2 minutes wasn't pretty, but that's not going to get solved by adding one player, or two players.

Meh, you know the way it is Tri. I mean, half the board didn't even show up until they gave up the 3rd goal, reading through the thread. It's always a bitchfest.

Edited by MadDog2020

The Kovalchuk breakaway disguised another stupid pass up the middle by Mottau which almost got picked off.

Only Mottau can make a great pass and get it turned into a bash. :lol:

For the people who can't wait to see Mottau benched when Martin comes back, Mottau did a pretty good job going against SJ's top lines tonight while Jed Ortmeyer wreaked havoc over Fraser for much of the game.

lol, I went to have a cigarette when Dean took the penalty, came back, it was 4-3. on went the 360 until 1AM, when I knew the game would be over.

didn't see it, can't go nuts. dunno what it is with this team and getting goal bombs dropped on them, though. they contained it in the end, I guess (going by shot totals, they couldn't have had more than 3 shots for the rest of the game, and likely less than that), but it reminds me a little of the 05-06 team where you think something's in hand and bizzarity takes hold.

that being said, the 30 minutes that happened before that were really good. Kovalchuk actually looked integrated and was a beast on the dump and chase that led to the penalty that led to his goal. nice blind center to Patty in a good spot, too, he just couldn't handle it. which was the second nice blind pass he made.

Look, I'm not going to disregard the good things the Devils did in this game because they did play some strong hockey but some of the defensemen on this team either suck royally or are just brain dead. I don't give a sh!t who they are playing against. If you make bad decisions against any team you'll get burned. As for the penalty, yeah they didn't have any up to that point in the game but you have to expect that you're gonna at least have one called against you at some point. I guess it doesn't matter what line takes the penalty in the long run but Dean made it easy to get a penalty called on him. It just pisses me off seeing the 4th line take penalties.

Yes this a win over a top team but if you want to have any chance of going far you have to put together strong 60 minute games from top to bottom. This sh!t isn't going to cut it. I can not even remember the last time this team put together a real solid defensive game.

And if 1 or 2 tweaks aren't going to push this team over the top then we are just seriously fvcked in the ass to be honest. There are some extremely good players on this team at the moment. If Lou doesn't find a way to get something out of this group, well I don't know when you can ever expect this team to have a real chance again.

A short term pattern since they went something like the first 80% of the season before blowing any lead.

now they can't stop giving up bunches of goals, though. sometimes it's fluky and they got their own bunch of goals in the second. I guess if you look at it that way, they won the rest of the game 1-0. :lol:

That's why you make moves, oh Wise One, to try to help an area in need. Maybe with your logic, Kovalchuk should not have been be traded for since he won't help solve a problem, either.

The meltdowns are starting from the defense. Now, they certainly aren't making the same blockbuster trade for a D, but if you're content having this D corps out there vs Pittsburgh and Washington (even Philadelphia) over a playoff series, then so be it.

Look, I'm not going to disregard the good things the Devils did in this game because they did play some strong hockey but some of the defensemen on this team either suck royally or are just brain dead. I don't give a sh!t who they are playing against. If you make bad decisions against any team you'll get burned. As for the penalty, yeah they didn't have any up to that point in the game but you have to expect that you're gonna at least have one called against you at some point. I guess it doesn't matter what line takes the penalty in the long run but Dean made it easy to get a penalty called on him. It just pisses me off seeing the 4th line take penalties.

Yes this a win over a top team but if you want to have any chance of going far you have to put together strong 60 minute games from top to bottom. This sh!t isn't going to cut it. I can not even remember the last time this team put together a real solid defensive game.

And if 1 or 2 tweaks aren't going to push this team over the top then we are just seriously fvcked in the ass to be honest. There are some extremely good players on this team at the moment. If Lou doesn't find a way to get something out of this group, well I don't know when you can ever expect this team to have a real chance again.

I'm guessing what he means by the number of players is that... players can't solve it. it's a mental/discipline thing. you have to make good decisions. what I saw before I decided I valued my life over watching the game, was some very bad decisions that led to Greene inexplicably roaming away from the net when up 4-0, which led to a great chance in the slot.

then, Dean took a stupid penalty in the neutral zone, they had stayed disciplined the whole game and it broke there. I think that's what he means. you can get all the players in the world, but if you make bad decisions and have brain farts, it's not going to matter.

some nights, it goes unnoticed because some untalented hack misses the pass to the slot, or you get a PP that is woefully ineffective and just kills off two minutes of the clock. tonight was a bad spot for it to happen

it's not that 1 or 2 tweaks aren't going to push this team over the top, it's just that your expectations are skewed. yeah, giving up goals like that sucks, but i don't think it indicative of some sort of collective failure on the part of the team, merely some bad luck. as max said, san jose had their own breakdown like this.

i'm fine with this game. i don't like the fact that it got so close, but i do like the fact that they controlled most of the game, which is the best you can hope for against top NHL teams.

Only Mottau can make a great pass and get it turned into a bash. :lol:

The pass turned out great because it got through but he is prone to throwing the puck up the middle of the ice and turning it over. Unless I didn't see it correctly that pass was almost intercepted. To me its just to big a risk at that point in the game after giving up a bunch of goals so quickly.

Whatever, its not like these players completely suck. They worked hard this game and played very good for the most part. Its just the breakdowns that are driving me nuts. They almost pissed away a really strong effort tonight. Its disappointing.

I think we are all forgetting that we will have Paul Martin soon and he arguably a top 10 d-man in the NHL and he will help prevent a lot of these break downs by taking the pressure off most of our less skilled d-men. Look at what Clarkson did on his first game back so i think we all need to calm down.