PC Police -1 Fighting Sioux -0

MDPucks

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/08/university-of-north-dakotas-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-ret/

The latest BS in politically correct team nickname changes is in Grand Forks, ND. The alma mater of Parise and Zajac will be officially dropping the "Fighting Sioux" nickname thanks to NCAA hostility and pressure on UND, conferences, and boards of education. That's the same NCAA that allows Florida State to keep "Seminoles" and allow a white guy painted in red face throw a blazing fire spear into the 50 yard line (thanks to FSU's BCS football hush money that they pay the tribes).

The bigger BS in this is UND got permission from one of the two Sioux tribes and was close to getting permission from the other (which hadn't officially voted yet) but NCAA pressure on conferences forced the ND Board of Ed to act.

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2010/04/08/university-of-north-dakotas-fighting-sioux-nickname-logo-ret/

The latest BS in politically correct team nickname changes is in Grand Forks, ND. The alma mater of Parise and Zajac will be officially dropping the "Fighting Sioux" nickname thanks to NCAA hostility and pressure on UND, conferences, and boards of education. That's the same NCAA that allows Florida State to keep "Seminoles" and allow a white guy painted in red face throw a blazing fire spear into the 50 yard line (thanks to FSU's BCS football hush money that they pay the tribes).

The bigger BS in this is UND got permission from one of the two Sioux tribes and was close to getting permission from the other (which hadn't officially voted yet) but NCAA pressure on conferences forced the ND Board of Ed to act.

they should rename to North Dakota Fighting JerseyDevils.

oorr Fighting Parise's

I'm torn on the issue, because the word Sioux means cutthroat, and, despite some acceptance, there are a lot of people who feel it's derogatory for it to be used on anyone, not even the tribes, which have multiple other names. That said, I'm inclined to assume this has a lot more to do with North Dakota taking the fall because they have less money. If the tribes approved, they shouldn't be forced to change, but the NCAA feels some need to protect its image.

so.... what do they do with the arena, which was designed with something like this in mind? (logo put on basically everything)

More trouble than that. IIRC, "The Ralph" is owned by a Trust, not by UND, and the conditions of the Trust specify that the logos must not be changed or defaced or removed. Mr. Engelstad knew this day might come, and he planned to make it as unpleasant as possible.

So what's the new nickname? And are they keeping the green and black, or going back to the original green and pink?

Link: it seems the Trust will hand over the building to UND in 2031...

Aha... yeah... Link: REA general manager: Don’t expect changes at arena (Grand Forks Herald, 04/08)

Edited by Shtikl

I gotta say, I live in Boonton now, but went to high school in Mount Olive. We always played against the Parsippany "Redskins" when I was in school until my senior year when they changed it to the "Red Hawks".

That kind of ticked me off a little when they changed the name due to outside pressure. Every five years or so, they always challenge the nickname of my alma matter which its the Mount Olive "Marauders", which is by definition, a bunch of "raping and pillaging pirates", to which I'm happy that the B.O.E. has never bowed.

Edited by manbearpig

Wow, the athletic director now has to worry about losing fans and having the fundraising efforts suffer. Sucks that people would punish the Univerisity for a decision made by the state Board of Higher Ed -- and made 7.5 months before the NCAA's deadline, too.

Good Press Conference, the coaches are saying they have to be leaders even when there's a setback, that their personal opinions about the logo don't matter, and that they're going to have to move forward and help their athletes with the transition. Hakstol looks like he would rather be anywhere else right now, sorry Coach!

And they're talking about changing opponents?... what's with that? Are they considering keeping the name and going independent in some of the sports?

How come no one ever mentions changing the Name of the Fighting IRish?

For one, people don't find the name offensive. If the NCAA received a ton of pressure to change the name, I don't know what could happen but I can imagine that someone could have it changed.

The difference here from the Fighting Seminoles and names of that like, is that the Sioux did not receive money for their name. At several times they did and it was just pennies really. Not for anything but the Sioux was not a violent tribe, despite their name. They could have kept the name if they wanted to, they could have struck a deal with the two tribes and be past it right now but they decided it wasn't worth the money.

This is more about money than being politically correct.

Those tribes could really use the money too. They are some of the poorest tribes in the country with some of the worst land for farming.

[bTW, I'd hate to think that the only reason the Standing Rock nation didn't support keeping the Sioux name was because UND wasn't offering them enough MONEY, as if cultural heritage were something one could whore... Then again, people license trademarks, so why not?]

I think it would be the same problem, no matter which name they used for the first peoples. Cultural Appropriation, where outsiders borrow symbols without fully understanding them, is just one of those controversial subjects that has no win-win solution. No matter how you slice it, somebody is offended.

I figure the men's ice hockey team should just call themselves the Prairie Roses and wear pink and green. You know what they say, Real Men aren't afraid to wear pink. ;)

BTW, anybody who was hoping that Travis Zajac's brother might be brought into the fold... Fighting Sioux alumnus Darcy Zajac signed an ATO with the Adirondack Phantoms, a.k.a. the baby Flyers. *** The Phantoms host the Binghamton Senators Fri. Apr. 9, 2010, @ 7:30 PM, and the Albany River Rats Sat. Apr. 10, 2010 @ 7:00 PM, both at the Glens Falls Civic Center if you'd like to see him in action.

Edited by Shtikl

Travis Zajac's reaction to name change (on bottom of page)

Travis Zajac played two seasons at the University of North Dakota, and was disappointed to hear that the team will be changing its "Fighting Sioux" nickname. The Associated Press reported Friday that a state Supreme Court ruling and Board of Higher Education decision have retired the name for good. The school will stop using the name in August.

"It kind of [stinks] because it’s a great name, it’s been the school’s name for a while," Zajac said. "I felt proud wearing the Fighting Sioux jersey and carrying that tradition. There’s a lot of tradition behind the hockey team and the school. I guess for that to be done it kind of [stinks]."

Zach Parise is also an alumnus of UND, which has seven national titles in men's ice hockey, and 14 WCHA championships. They have used the Fighting Sioux nickname since 1930.

Edited by nyrsuck26