Devils' Kovalchuk will test market

overtime98

Next year is Smyth's last in his contract with a cap hit of 6.25 million. While that coincides with needing to re-sign Doughty and Johnson, it also coincides with the expiration of Handzus' $4mil contract and Williams' $3.5mil contract. They have plenty of room for Kovalchuk.

Rough NHLNumbers estimate of their total cap hit for 2010-2011: 44.6mil, still need to sign 5 forwards, one depth defenseman. So they have just under $15mil to spread among 6 players. Figure Kovalchuk gets $9mil, that's $5.75 mil among five remaining players. Depth defenseman gets less than one million, so figure $5 million among four remaining players. If they sign Kovalchuk, their top lines are set (Kovalchuk, Kopitar, Brown, Smyth, Stoll, Williams), their depth forwards are Handzus, Simmonds, Parse and Richardson. That means they really need another third line player if Handzus' play drops, so figure $1.8 or $2mil for a guy like Madden or Belanger, and round out the other lines with low-salary players.

Maybe I overlooked something 'cause I just threw this together without completely over-analyzing it, but seems fine to me.

(edit: adjusted for correct salary cap number, sorry)

While LA could def sign him, yes they technically have enough room, you just can't say that they have plenty of room for the signing. 15m among six players...now that's wishful thinking.

Don't forget the fact that Kovy isn't looking for a one year contract. JJ and Doughty are not exactly going to get pennies as RFA's next year.

Edited by ben00rs

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just really don't know about all that Kovy thing,I know he is a great player (an elite player) and he exciting to watch and I don't hide from the fact that if we sign him I will be happy but I just want to think with my head and not my heart.

- The guy wants big money but we have stupid contracts such as the Rolston one that make that big money impposible to find without hitting hard on the cap.

- We are probably going to look like an open buffet on defense after Martin goes on July 1 and we need that money to get some decent top 2 D-man.

- LA is in a much better position than us to sign him for all the facts stated in this page.

Finally I think its better for us to sign 2 great D-men and try to ameliorate the OFFENSE with the money that is left on our cap.

IF (and its a big IF) Lou signs him for that amount -$ 52.5 million- I will go out an buy a frippin' Kovalchoke jersey and change my avatar in his honor.

How bout we make the deal that if he signs you change your avatar no matter what the amount is? :P

I'm holding off on a Kovalchuk jersey too. If he signs I'll place my order that day.

yeah I found some fake throwback christmas one for about $50 from China, but I'll wait to see if he signs first

While LA could def sign him, yes they technically have enough room, you just can't say that they have plenty of room for the signing. 15m among six players...now that's wishful thinking.

$15mil among six players isn't wishful thinking. It's realistic. Even lower it to $14 mil if you'd like. They're set on defense aside from a #6 guy; a depth defenseman like that can be had for under one million. $13mil remains for 5 players. Say they launch $9mil a year at Kovalchuk and he takes it. $4mil remaining for 4 players. Now it's looking tight, I readily admit that. However, of those four forwards needed, only one needs to be a top-9 forward. Say it's Belanger for $1.8 million, leaving $2.2 million for three players. Really think the Kings can't find depth forwards for $700k apiece?

Don't forget the fact that Kovy isn't looking for a one year contract. JJ and Doughty are not exactly going to get pennies as RFA's next year.

Kovalchuk could sign long-term there. Already mentioned that Handzus and Williams come off the cap at the same time, opening up lots of cap room. Similarly, beyond that Smyth's contract expires - really think he'll pull down $6mil+ in his next contract? - as does Stoll's. The Kings could reasonably fill their lineup with offensive talent without bending over backwards. If they really felt like they were in a tight spot, they could deal someone like Jack Johnson (lots of random reports stating he and LA don't see eye-to-eye, don't know how much of that is credible).

Just sayin', LA can't be summarily ruled out. He can fit.

$15mil among six players isn't wishful thinking. It's realistic. Even lower it to $14 mil if you'd like. They're set on defense aside from a #6 guy; a depth defenseman like that can be had for under one million. $13mil remains for 5 players. Say they launch $9mil a year at Kovalchuk and he takes it. $4mil remaining for 4 players. Now it's looking tight, I readily admit that. However, of those four forwards needed, only one needs to be a top-9 forward. Say it's Belanger for $1.8 million, leaving $2.2 million for three players. Really think the Kings can't find depth forwards for $700k apiece?

Kovalchuk could sign long-term there. Already mentioned that Handzus and Williams come off the cap at the same time, opening up lots of cap room. Similarly, beyond that Smyth's contract expires - really think he'll pull down $6mil+ in his next contract? - as does Stoll's. The Kings could reasonably fill their lineup with offensive talent without bending over backwards. If they really felt like they were in a tight spot, they could deal someone like Jack Johnson (lots of random reports stating he and LA don't see eye-to-eye, don't know how much of that is credible).

Just sayin', LA can't be summarily ruled out. He can fit.

I say again: I'm not ruling him out of LA, he could def sign there. What I'm saying and as you've pointed out in your posts is that it's going to be more difficult the everyone else is saying for them to sign him. They don't have an abundance of cap room just a decent amount. They could sign him but they are not going to give him a much higher offer than the Devils could.

Man $50? How was the quality?

idk yet but my brother ordered a kesler usa jersey and hasn't gotten it. It's ecseller.com from china. He heard good things but hasn't gotten it yet. It obviously doesn't look that great by the pictures, but the red/green ones are hard enough to find that it may be worth it

lol. man, when kovalchuk signs with LA, all your posts are going to look funny. this is a satansdevils level of commitment to something which you really don't have any idea about.

easy there Triumph....what are you going to do or say when Kovy resigns with the Devils? Because he is not going to sell two of his houses on the East coast and drag them all the way out West to play for the Kings. That BS with the Kings asking Lou and the Devils about Kovy's rights was never true and just flat out BS from the reporters.

Here is an interview and article with Lou saying he still wants to sign Kovy and that NO team approached or called him for the rights of Kovalchuk. Most likely because most of these teams cannot afford signing Kovy with having to resign some of their own players to keep their teams in tact. Lou and the Devils DO have the room and money to resign Kovy and believe he will resign.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/qualifying_offers_clarkson_pelley_fraser_eckford_lamoriello_no_offers_for_k/

Lamoriello denied an ESPN.com report that he turned down an offer from the Los Angeles Kings for the negotiating rights to potential unrestricted free agent Ilya Kovalchuk.

“That’s not true,” he said.

In fact, Lamoriello said, “I didn’t have an offer,” from any team for Kovalchuk’s rights. He would not comment on whether he would trade Kovalchuk’s rights if any team does make an offer or if he was looking to trade his rights.

easy there Triumph....what are you going to do or say when Kovy resigns with the Devils? Because he is not going to sell two of his houses on the East coast and drag them all the way out West to play for the Kings. That BS with the Kings asking Lou and the Devils about Kovy's rights was never true and just flat out BS from the reporters.

Here is an interview and article with Lou saying he still wants to sign Kovy and that NO team approached or called him for the rights of Kovalchuk. Most likely because most of these teams cannot afford signing Kovy with having to resign some of their own players to keep their teams in tact. Lou and the Devils DO have the room and money to resign Kovy and believe he will resign.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/qualifying_offers_clarkson_pelley_fraser_eckford_lamoriello_no_offers_for_k/

That's bull because even if the Kings wanted his rights, there is no way he'd sign prior to July 1st. He's master of the FA Market, all overs domestic and foreign will fall to his feet. He can choose whatever he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if every team in the league put together a package for him, not to mention the KHL, sent it to him at 12:00::01 EDT on Thursday and he picked from there. If that were the case, he could make his decision by say 12:05 at the latest if he wanted. His rights are worthless right now.

lol, as if after signing a $50 million plus contract long term Kovy's going to be worried about selling two houses. If you want to take Lou at his word fine, he's not going to publicly cop to turning down an offer for Kovy's rights, especially since people will second-guess it if he even gets to July 1 let alone walks.

Taking off the homer glasses, barring getting the highest offer from Lou which I seriously doubt, why would Kovy want to re-sign here? Unless he still buys the nonsense about us being an elite organization (we haven't been since 2003) after getting smoked in the playoffs.

Unless he still buys the nonsense about us being an elite organization (we haven't been since 2003) after getting smoked in the playoffs.

To be fair, most of the teams that appear to be in the running aren't really setting the world on fire either.

You're right, selling at least two houses (which you're just specualting as usual) which he absolutely won't have anything to do with himself but take a phone call from a realtor (that's what a realtor is for, to sell your home!) will prevent him from signing a max deal with an up and coming team in the US's 2nd largest media market dying for a marketable star.

Kovalchuk turns down the Kings because of the immense personal pressure of selling his homes. That's some Pierre McGuire stuff i tell ya.

Edited by SJP20

Still holding out hope that Lou gets it done. I know alot of people around here did not want to see Kovy back...the dude is an amazing talent. He can help us win, THE END....

No doubts he is amazing but I just worry about our D if we sign him.We will have enough money to replace Martin and find another D to play with his replacement on the first pair ???

Some will say a deal will be done for our D but who do we have to give in a trade where a top 2 D-men comes our way ???

Edited by SS-SS

No doubts he is amazing but I just worry about our D if we sign him.We will have enough money to replace Martin and find another D to play with his replacement on the first pair ???

Some will say a deal will be done for our D but who do we have to give in a trade where a top 2 D-men comes our way ???

Listen. If we lose Martin then we are not going to replace him with an equal talent, it's just not happening. If you want Kovy, you're gonna have to settle for something less. That's just the way it is. And that's coming from the biggest Kovy supporter around.

Listen. If we lose Martin then we are not going to replace him with an equal talent, it's just not happening. If you want Kovy, you're gonna have to settle for something less. That's just the way it is. And that's coming from the biggest Kovy supporter around.

I understand but hey we can't do it with that Defense I mean we are just naked.We need at the very least a top 2 D-men and another Andy Greene on the top pairing cuz if not then what is the point of signing him or any other good talent on the offense since we all know that you can't make it without Defense in the playoffs and even during the season??

I understand but hey we can't do it with that Defense I mean we are just naked.We need at the very least a top 2 D-men and another Andy Greene on the top pairing cuz if not then what is the point of signing him or any other good talent on the offense since we all know that you can't make it without Defense in the playoffs and even during the season??

I personally believe the Devils can make it with a 3-4 million dollar d-man and Kovy. I believe the Devils should maintain a defensive gameplan while having a high powered offense. That's how you win in today's NHL. However, opinions vary here as Manta will tell you as soon as he reads this.

Don't forget there might always be a trade or two. Lou isn't done yet. On the contrary: it is just the beggining. (hell, I have no clue how much stock to put in it, but it sounds cool :P)

That's bull because even if the Kings wanted his rights, there is no way he'd sign prior to July 1st. He's master of the FA Market, all overs domestic and foreign will fall to his feet. He can choose whatever he likes. I wouldn't be surprised if every team in the league put together a package for him

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. Why do you think it was Rolston who got the most offers two years ago and not some elite forward? Because the GMs didn't have to break the bank to sign him (yes, it took a few millions, but not 7, 8 or 9) and he seemed ( :doh1: ) like a bargain. If a team is capable of offering Kovy a sensible contract, it might try it (like Lou said after the trade, if you have a chance to get a talent like Kovalchuk, you just do it). But there aren't THAT many clubs in a spot to sign him.

I personally believe the Devils can make it with a 3-4 million dollar d-man and Kovy. I believe the Devils should maintain a defensive gameplan while having a high powered offense. That's how you win in today's NHL. However, opinions vary here as Manta will tell you as soon as he reads this.

A 3-4 Million dollar D-Man??? Another Salvador or White???

Yes, we can do that if we have no intention of making the playoffs. Come April it's still about quality depth, defense and goaltending.

I would rather spend the money on getting two quality D-Men than another forward.