Report: Comrie Renews Trade Request

Elias Sports Bureau

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=53...311&hubName=nhl

Report: Comrie renews trade request

TSN.ca Staff

9/9/2003

The Edmonton Oilers have refused to confirm or deny that forward Mike Comrie has renewed his request to be traded.

Following reports from an Edmonton television station that Comrie has asked the Oilers to trade him, general manager Kevin Lowe did little to quell the speculation, saying "expect the unexpected".

Comrie's agent Rich Winter also did little to diffuse the speculation.

"My only comment is that we continue dialogue with the Oilers," he told the Edmonton Sun. "These issues are made more complex by the local situation."

Comrie's future with the Oilers first came to light during the NHL Entry Draft this past June in Nashville when speculation had him going to the Ottawa Senators in a possible trade.

Comrie had 20 goals and 51 points last season despite missing 13 games with a broken thumb. However, the Edmonton native was singled out for criticism following the Oilers playoff loss to the Dallas Stars.

totally bad fit here - those guys up there are used to a high flying, fast paced, offense oriented game, to suddenly be dumped into pat burns tight checking defense first system would be a complete disaster. The only way comrie fits here is if the deal happens this week and he goes to training camp as a devil.

And elias is going nowhere. He and Nieds are the future of this team.

I don't see this happening either. Right now Lou thinks that it is going to be a wait and see mode. Why would he let Niuey go and then make a big trade for another center it makes no sense. At this point I bet he waits to see how the new talent does then fill in the holes like he always does.

Spectors says, "He suggests the New Jersey Devils might consider trading Scott Gomez for Comrie, "

so who knows.

Well that trade doesn't really address the problem.

I'm not surprised Spector's came up with that. Two young centers, why not change for each other.

I think I'd like Gomer a lot more if I didn't hear from him off the rink. He just rubs me the totally wrong way. His name is brought up the most in regards to people not fitting in with the team concept -- but there's such an electricity to what he can do that he wouldn't be a piece I'd want to see go away unless it's detrimental to the team -- which it obviously isn't. He gives Burns a bit of an outlet, and everyone else gets to see the ramifications of not doing what the coach wants.

Please, Comrie has been whining about $$$ since the day he got to the Oilers (actually, since before, since he threatened to pull a 'Van Ryn' unless he got what he wanted in his first contract, despite the fact that his Dad & Slats are best friends).

Can you see Lou trading for that fiscal headache?

It would surprise me if they were to trade anyone of the "old guard" This system is not for everyone and with the years of experience of Gomer andPatty--hell-- they would be like fish out of water somewhere else. They are CUPMEN!! and they have plenty of years left.

Don't want him, he is a small center, a headcase already and he is horrible on defense, he woul start crying with Burns coaching him.Comrie is more one dimentional then Gomez was at the start of last year. Way more.

York or Smyth I would loveeeeeeeeee to get my hands on, both show plenty of grit, play defense and put up points.