Marty Questions Smythe Logic

Elias Sports Bureau

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=e...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

WEST ORANGE - Martin Brodeur didn't lose any sleep over it this summer. Still, there is a hint of irritation in the goaltender's voice when he talks about the Conn Smythe Trophy.

He easily could have been voted the most valuable player of the playoffs, but this isn't so much about himself as it is about the Devils. Although Brodeur gives Anaheim goaltender Jean-Sebastien Giguere due credit for carrying his team past Detroit, Dallas, and Minnesota to the Stanley Cup Finals, he wonders how a player from the team that didn't win the Cup can be the MVP.

"Definitely, he was deserving of it," Brodeur said Saturday after shedding some off-season rust during a crisp training-camp practice at South Mountain Arena. "But I think the system is a little weird when the winning team doesn't have the most valuable player. You look for a reason because we had players that made a big difference when it was time to come through."

Brodeur rattles off Jeff Friesen (four game-winning goals), Scott Niedermayer (tied for league lead in playoff scoring), Jamie Langenbrunner (league-high 11 goals), Scott Stevens, and John Madden as examples.

"If you keep looking at it, of course, it's disappointing," Brodeur said.

Particularly, when you look at how Giguere played in the Finals.

"He was the reason why they made it so far, but in the Finals he was average at best," Brodeur said. "I think it was already set in stone before it started because he was so dominant and [the media] made such a big deal about how he played throughout the playoffs."

The statistics support Brodeur's observation.

Giguere led the NHL with a 1.62 goals-against average and a .945 save percentage in the playoffs, but his play and his numbers dropped considerably (2.52 GAA and .910 save percentage) against a Devils' attack that no one would confuse with the Edmonton Oilers of the 1980s. In New Jersey's four victories, he allowed 14 goals.

By comparison, Brodeur, who did capture his first Vezina Trophy, had a 1.73 GAA, a .925 save percentage, and an NHL record-tying three shutouts in the Finals. His seven postseason shutouts overall broke Dominik Hasek's record of six and he finished second behind Giguere in the playoffs with a 1.62 GAA and a .934 save percentage.

Should performance in the Finals count more? "Probably yeah," Brodeur said, "because that's when it counts. Those are the big games."

What matters most to Brodeur, however, is that he won the trophy that counts most.

"That's the bottom line," he said. "Nobody remembers who loses in the Finals. Five years from now, I'm going say, 'Who did we beat that year?'"

When people mention 1987 to me, the first thing I think of is Hextall. People tend to remember when a losing player wins the Smythe.

The Smythe process probably needs to be altered. Bottom line is the Devils had too many players cancel each other out in the votes. That's why Giguere won.

I was pretty annoyed with the decision myself. Felt the way the finals played out Brodeur should have won it without question. I know Jiggy played great for 3 rounds but on center stage he was average at best. When you have 3 shutouts in the finals and one of them comes in a game 7 its hard not to win. Especially the way Marty played throught the playoffs. Game 7 in Ottawa was a huge win after falling behind 1-0 early in that game. He stood on his head and gave us a chance to win.

But guess it dosen't really matter now. He got the one he really wanted. Would have been great to see him get it though.

"He was the reason why they made it so far, but in the Finals he was average at best," Brodeur said. "I think it was already set in stone before it started because he was so dominant and [the media] made such a big deal about how he played throughout the playoffs."

Ouch :lol: I'm surprised Marty would say it.

It is true though...

I believe that the Smythe should be given to the player who is best through out the playoffs. Not the first three rounds (Giguere). Not the first two rounds (Langy) or the last two rounds (Friesen). Marty played the best except for two games where he let up 5 goals, but still had most shutouts and 2nd in GAA. The most player most deserving of the Smythe in my mind has to be John Madden. He did a damn good job against opposing top lines on the defensive end, while putting up points. And for a nice touch he showed hockey toughness with the huge gash on his face and came back out without a visor on.

Without a doubt the Conn Smythe belongs to Madden... it was a crying shame he didnt get it... In no series was he average or ineffective. He was incredible all 4 rounds, and made his line mates better... I was starting to get excited by Pando; all due to his chemistry with Madden... Madden; when you take all the hype out; was the most deserving...

Marty mentions other Devils as the choice for MVP but he is really talking about himself. He wants another notch in his belt.

One could say that the MVP is the player that rises to the occasion during the playoffs to the finals. With Marty it's expected so his has a disadvantage because his play is expected. In addition there are those that still believe his records are based on the constant total defensive play of the Devils and the players in front of him.

Marty was the MVP IMO for the 2002/2003 Devils season. he kept them in many a game.

One could say that the MVP is the player that rises to the occasion during the playoffs to the finals. With Marty it's expected so his has a disadvantage because his play is expected. In addition there are those that still believe his records are based on the constant total defensive play of the Devils and the players in front of him.

Here was an actual bit of unusual but dead on analysis I saw from of all people Barry

Melrose that he says on the DVD and he said once during ESPN's finals coverage before

they could edit out any pro-Devils talk :P

"Marty Brodeur has been to the Stanley Cup Finals four times and all four times

no one has considered this guy the best goalie in the series".. now yes against Roy

I can see that.. but to have Ed Belfour, the Jiggy fluke, and even MIKE VERNON

considered as better goalies in the head to head match-up.. that's just unusual ain't it ??

But as long as the NHL is being run into the ground by the front office and ESPN don't

expect that to change....

Many Devils deserved it -- it was a true ensemble win! My wish is that JS's win would go down in history as a win by default - it could happen especially if he goes no where from here on out.

I love my New Jersey Devils! I'd really love a repeat. and that means another grinding year. Mindless nose to the grindstone. I've had a lot of thoughts on winning this weekend... I'll share them in the Devils Fan Club section.... yeah, that can only mean one thing...but it's weird you guys! While looking for hockey links I found this cute Kitchener Rangers Archives site! LOL! Well...I'll post more later -- if I get around to it! :evil:

Very candid of Marty. It's good to see that the stars of this team feel comfortable enough to make those types of statements. I am going to add his classic last line to my sig. It's priceless! BTW Nieds should have won it. I would have been happy for If Marty had won too.

Here was an actual bit of unusual but dead on analysis I saw from of all people Barry

Melrose that he says on the DVD and he said once during ESPN's finals coverage before

they could edit out any pro-Devils talk :P

"Marty Brodeur has been to the Stanley Cup Finals four times and all four times

no one has considered this guy the best goalie in the series".. now yes against Roy

I can see that.. but to have Ed Belfour, the Jiggy fluke, and even MIKE VERNON

considered as better goalies in the head to head match-up.. that's just unusual ain't it ??

But as long as the NHL is being run into the ground by the front office and ESPN don't

expect that to change....

Yeah, Melrose's quote almost verbatim was: 'He's (Marty) been in the Finals four times, and I don't think once, people thought he was the best goalie in the series...this guy's won two Stanley Cups, he's the only guy that can break Patrick Roy's records if he wants to play (that long) and everyone's talking about Giguere; they don't even know Marty Brodeur's in the net at the other end'. He also said earlier in the DVD that 'People say he (Marty) wins because of the system and that's wrong...I mean, we're talking about the best goalie in hockey'.

The funny thing is I could see in retrospect where Marty wouldn't be rated higher than the four goalies, well at least the first three. '95 Vernon had won a Cup and had more experience, Marty for all he'd done was in his second year. Of course it looks ludicrous to even put Vernon on the same level now, but things were different then. '00, Marty and Belfour was probably considered a push considering they'd both won a Cup and Belfruit had just outdueled King Waaah for the second straight year, '01 yeah Patrick was better than Marty at that point. Of course this year, Giguere got WAAAY overhyped because of three historic rounds.

I don't know. Part of it just seems wrong to me. If you won the Stanley Cup, why complain about the Smythe? I know, they are valid points. I know, I agree with what he was saying. I don't know what to make of it though - part of me says it was best just left alone.

Every sensible hockey fan knows the ups and downs about giving the Smythe to Gigeure. Every sensible hockey fan knows there were many players, on both teams, who could have gotten the Smythe. To me, it's somewhat of a dead topic.