New Kovy Update ("As the Kovy Turns")

DevsFan7545

• Replies 12.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I hope Frolov is ready. Because if I'm Lou, as soon as Kovy signs somewhere else I'm calling Frolov to ask what his dinner plans are.

See, I feel like if the Devils don't get Kovalchuk, they shouldn't go out of their way to sign another LW. Kovy kinda "transcends" his position, considering the Devils already have two great LWs in Parise and Elias. Signing Frolov is going to force Elias to the opposite wing, and I'd rather not see that happen.

If anything, the Devils should turn to another scoring RW - if Zubrus is going to be used as 3rd line center - or a 3rd line center if Zubrus is going to be a top-six RW.

Problem is, worthwhile scoring RWs that are UFA are pretty much limited to Lee Stempniak and Marek Svatos... and neither one of them is a consistent, reliable presence. 3rd line centers are down to Dominic Moore and Eric Belanger.

Good point. It's def possible that those three want to see what the KHL is offering and even use that as leverage in the NHL. It would work much better as leverage for these guys than Kovy because they're much more likely to sign in the KHL. Lombardi clearly didn't buy the KHL BS.

that's certainly true too - there's no doubt that this is part of it. and if these guys are having different agents represent them like kovalchuk, the push and pull can't be helpful. i think having two agents is a terrible move in general.

edit: i_g - i was told that though frolov is listed as LW he mostly plays RW. even so i wouldn't sign him anyway, it creates yet another logjam.

Edited by Triumph

See, I feel like if the Devils don't get Kovalchuk, they shouldn't go out of their way to sign another LW. Kovy kinda "transcends" his position, considering the Devils already have two great LWs in Parise and Elias. Signing Frolov is going to force Elias to the opposite wing, and I'd rather not see that happen.

Exactly what I was saying before. There is no point to signing another LW, Kovy is just an exception as he he has extremly rare skill.

If we don't sign Kovy, get a top 9 RW, a top 4 PMD and call it an offseason.

Frolov is a right handed right winger I thought... Parise-Zajac-Frolov or Elias-Arnott-Frolov would look fine to me.

I've only known Frolov as a LW; from his line combos this year, he spent most time at LW, with some time at C actually.

Besides, I seem to recall there have been questions about Frolov's work ethic and intensity... that's not what I'm looking for the Devils to add. Plus I'm sure he's looking for $5mil, at least in his mind.

If anything, the Devils should turn to another scoring RW - if Zubrus is going to be used as 3rd line center - or a 3rd line center if Zubrus is going to be a top-six RW.

Problem is, worthwhile scoring RWs that are UFA are pretty much limited to Lee Stempniak and Marek Svatos... and neither one of them is a consistent, reliable presence. 3rd line centers are down to Dominic Moore and Eric Belanger.

I really like Zubrus on the RW of Elias and Arnott or on the RW on Parise and Zajac. He's wasted as a 3rd line center.

My point is how long does Lou stay in this? Kovy would have signed here already if he wanted to be a Devil... that's something I'm almost sure of. But as more free agents are finding homes, other GMs are working the phones to make trades and make their teams better, Lou is presumingly trying to get rid of dead weight in order to sit and wait for Kovalchuk to decide on where he is going to sign. Not ONE thing has happened here after Volchenkov and Tallinder signed. Lou promised changes and signings... I just feel like this is really holding him up.

On the other hand, if Kovy really wanted to be a King, he'd have signed out there already, especially back when it seemed like LA had a better offer than NJ.

My feeling is it's mainly between NJ and Russia, though I wouldn't be surprised if Kovy's holding out hope that LA will come back with an offer similar to whatever the best offer from his other suitors ends up being.

edit: i_g - i was told that though frolov is listed as LW he mostly plays RW. even so i wouldn't sign him anyway, it creates yet another logjam.

Just out of curiosity, where'd you get that info from? I was checking DobberHockey's line combos and it's overwhelmingly showing him as a LW during the regular season, with Simmonds or Williams as the usual RWs.

I really like Zubrus on the RW of Elias and Arnott or on the RW on Parise and Zajac. He's wasted as a 3rd line center.

I agree. I like him as an energetic winger rather than a responsible center. ...if that makes sense.

I wouldn't mind a two-year deal for Dominic Moore... but he can't be in the same realm as Malhotra's huge contract, or Matt Cullen's. Way too much money. Rolston-Moore-Clarkson would be a serviceable third line that could threaten offensively, too.

Edited by insanity_gallops

Just out of curiosity, where'd you get that info from? I was checking DobberHockey's line combos and it's overwhelmingly showing him as a LW during the regular season, with Simmonds or Williams as the usual RWs.

that makes a ton more sense, but some kings fan told me that he was an RW. either way he's european so i wouldn't worry about what wing he should play. and i agree that he's not a very good fit regardless.

edit: i also wouldn't sign dominic moore to anything more (ha ha) than a one-year deal.

Edited by Triumph

Do you think that maybe if Kovy goes to Russia these other guys will follow?

While I clearly don't think Kovy is going to Russia at this point, I defintely don't think these guys are looking to follow Kovy anywhere. I think they want to make the most money possible while still playing where they want to play. There are also only a few Russian teams that have an abundance of money and are located in a nice place. This is not really an issue though as the rich teams can easily pick up more than one of these guys with the KHL's soft cap.

Ok things are REALLY quiet today. No Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), Fourth Period, TSN, Lebrun, TG....

Also the LA writers (yes I know what time it is there) are very quiet.

I think everyone is just tired of it. This has got to be an unprecedented wait for a high-value hockey UFA since the cap era began, no?

Ok things are REALLY quiet today. No Єklund (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate) (2.3% accurate), Fourth Period, TSN, Lebrun, TG....

Mass suicide?

I think everyone is just tired of it. This has got to be an unprecedented wait for a high-value hockey UFA since the cap era began, no?

People disagree with me... and that's fine. I'm not going to argue with anyone... but I'd have given him a week to figure this out. Now he's disrupting business for any interested parties.

Mass suicide?

Wouldn't surprise me. I'm still waiting for the official death toll out of Cleveland after last night's ego show on ESPN.

Yes it is early over here, but the sense I've been getting is that writers (see LeBrun) are fed up with Kovy's waiting and don't want to post anything until he signs somewhere.

What else is left? I don't think there are any NEW options coming out of nowhere. He has had plenty of times to jot down the pros and cons of signing in LA, NJ, and Russia... so is he just sitting there every day going back and forth on where he's going to go?

He's not even going to get his desired pay day in Russia!

People disagree with me... and that's fine. I'm not going to argue with anyone... but I'd have given him a week to figure this out. Now he's disrupting business for any interested parties.

That's assuming Kovy is the one holding things up. That seems like the most likely case, but it's possible Lou clearing room, the NHL approving a contract or some other invisible-to-us-laypeople thing could be causing the delay.

Hopefully we'll all know soon enough.

If it's the NHL holding things up... SOMEONE has to know about it and would have said something. With all the inside information that the TSN guys and others get... someone has to know. And it's like where in the world is Carmen SanDiego as to where Grossman and Kovy are.