The Best Solution To The Rolston Problem

Triumph

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newsflash!

NEWARK, N.J. -- Brian Rolston of the New Jersey Devils was on the receiving end of a brutal attack yesterday, effectively ending his 2010-11 season and possibly his 2011-12 campaign as well.

According to various eye-witnesses, a man attacked Rolston with what appeared to be a small, metallic musical instrument, repeatedly striking him about the knees while screaming, "You've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell!"

When asked if he knew anything of the circumstances of the attack, Devils General Manager Lou Lamoriello said, "Don't worry about my Crazies." He was later seen high-fiving team owner Jeffrey Vanderbeek.

Just prior to the attack, Rolston was seen at a 7-Eleven convenience store. He was attempting to get the last can of Coke from a corner refridgerator, but according to eye-witnesses he got to the corner fridge very slowly and made very little actual effort to get to the can before a different customer swooped in and took it.

"He took his sweet ass time getting there," said a witness who preferred not to be named. "No effort at all. But he did have this look on his face that made it seem like he was trying real hard.

"Then he cried a little, wiped his face with a napkin and missed the trash can by about 20 feet when he tried to throw it away."

Rolston's teammates had various reactions.

"This is irony," said left winger Zach Parise.

"This is cap room," said defenseman Tomas Kaberle, who was acquired by the Devils shortly after Rolston's injury was reported to the NHL.

Ilya Kovalchuk, whose 17-year, $102 million contract necessitated salary cap-minded moves, said, "This is hilarious."

Funny, this was great thanks we need a laugh waiting is painful.

Awesome faux-article!!! on a serious note i have a friend who babysits for rolston and his sister in-law. she is quite friendly with the families and they know she is a huge devil fan. She has asked him questions about the team from time to time and he has been very open and honest with her about most issues. she asked him about trade and retirement rumors. his answer to her was that he hasnt been approached by lou or any1 from the team about ether but did add that if he was asked to waive his no trade clause he said he would rather retire to help the team than be traded and move his family again. you can take my and my friends word for it or not but i believe her and shes turned me on to other inside team info in the past.

Awesome faux-article!!! on a serious note i have a friend who babysits for rolston and his sister in-law. she is quite friendly with the families and they know she is a huge devil fan. She has asked him questions about the team from time to time and he has been very open and honest with her about most issues. she asked him about trade and retirement rumors. his answer to her was that he hasnt been approached by lou or any1 from the team about ether but did add that if he was asked to waive his no trade clause he said he would rather retire to help the team than be traded and move his family again. you can take my and my friends word for it or not but i believe her and shes turned me on to other inside team info in the past.

I believe if he retires, his cap hit remains for the next two years. That would probably be the worst thing he could do for the team.

Plus, I doubt he would retire even if the cap hit would go way, and I hardly could blame him. That's $10 million he'd be foregoing. No one is that unselfish.

Edited by Daniel

I believe if he retires, his cap hit remains for the next two years. That would probably be the worst thing he could do for the team.

Plus, I doubt he would retire even if the cap hit would go way, and I hardly could blame him. That's $10 million he'd be foregoing. No one is that unselfish.

but if he'd rather just not play anymore, then he could hold off on the retirement and let lou trade him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor but not want to spend the cash.

you don't think that $5MM addition to your teams cap salary w/ no actual $ or roster spot taken isn't valuable to 4-6 teams in the league. there are several teams that would do that and probably give a 5th round pick for the chance.

but if he'd rather just not play anymore, then he could hold off on the retirement and let lou trade him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor but not want to spend the cash.

you don't think that $5MM addition to your teams cap salary w/ no actual $ or roster spot taken isn't valuable to 4-6 teams in the league. there are several teams that would do that and probably give a 5th round pick for the chance.

I haven't read the CBA, so I may be entirely wrong here, but I feel like that would be actual cap circumvention on the part of both teams involved (trading a player they know is going to retire to a team who only wants him to eat up cap space and not actually play for them).

I haven't read the CBA, so I may be entirely wrong here, but I feel like that would be actual cap circumvention on the part of both teams involved (trading a player they know is going to retire to a team who only wants him to eat up cap space and not actually play for them).

it's not in the CBA, and the devils did it with vladimir malakhov. malakhov just didn't show up for the sharks; he never officially retired.

either way, i doubt rolston is retiring.

Edited by Triumph

it's not in the CBA, and the devils did it with vladimir malakhov. malakhov just didn't show up for the sharks; he never officially retired.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up Tri. That's just another loophole that should be closed in the next round of CBA talks, I guess.

Yea the Sharks taking on Malakhov was a favor to us. It be interesting to see if the league would approve that type of trade now.

I read an interesting point on ILWT, about it being more difficult to unload Rolston given that four teams are above the cap, and more could be on the way.

I'm just hoping that we don't have to give up one of the Swedes to get rid of him. Maybe some team could be taken in by Eric Gelinas' potential if that's what it takes.

Yea the Sharks taking on Malakhov was a favor to us. It be interesting to see if the league would approve that type of trade now.

They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They acquired a first round pick for some retreads and cap space that they had to burn. I don't see why that's considered so devious.

Edited by Daniel

like i explained over at ILWT, that is not a concern. all 4 teams have an easy way under the cap that does not involve a trade or a loss of significant resources.

the real concern is that no one is taking rolston in a trade. i mean maybe rolston and a 2nd for pm bouchard and kobasew? bouchard has serious concussion problems - i have no clue where he'd fit on the roster if the devils did get him.

I read an interesting point on ILWT, about it being more difficult to unload Rolston given that four teams are above the cap, and more could be on the way.

I'm just hoping that we don't have to give up one of the Swedes to get rid of him. Maybe some team could be taken in by Eric Gelinas' potential if that's what it takes.

They didn't do it out of the goodness of their hearts. They acquired a first round pick for some retreads and cap space that they had to burn. I don't see why that's considered so devious.

That's what I meant. It was a you scratch my back... kind of thing.