Pre-GDT: Devils @ Flyers

Colin226

It would be nice if Jonn should have grew a pair and replaced Capitan Crybaby. Oh well hopefully only 1 more year with Jamie (& no cup).

Larry better watch out he's next on the temper tantrum list.

Langenbrunner did something different on his shootout attempt tonight, trying a slap shot from the high slot that rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped pretty easily.

“That was a Larry Robinson special,” Langenbrunner explained. “He said I should try that one. That one will not be used ever again.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/josefson_enjoys_first_nhl_preseason_game_urbom_feels_comfortable/

For god's sake why?

Dude admits his problem to the press, makes a public vow to be better, backs it up on the ice last night with a goal.

What more do folks want out of him short of turning Chek, and morphing his jersey # to 26 just to appease people's player preference.

Time will tell, but from last night JL's $2.6M worth of play showed up more than our "franchise player's" $6M of play.

There will be plenty enough pressure alone for the A-line to "re-ignite".

Time will tell - its only one game, but I feel this guy can't catch a break from some fans.

Yet Elias (who I respect), gets a bigger margin of tolerance because of his history of play with this team.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Greene looked excellent last night. He really appeared to lead. Tallinder proved to be a pretty decent defensive pickup as well.

Stupid NHL Network. I don't know who decides programming but they chose to rerun the Leafs/Ottawa game instead of switch to live coverage of the Vancouver/Calgary game

It would be nice if Jonn should have grew a pair and replaced Capitan Crybaby. Oh well hopefully only 1 more year with Jamie (& no cup).

Larry better watch out he's next on the temper tantrum list.

Langenbrunner did something different on his shootout attempt tonight, trying a slap shot from the high slot that rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped pretty easily.

“That was a Larry Robinson special,” Langenbrunner explained. “He said I should try that one. That one will not be used ever again.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/josefson_enjoys_first_nhl_preseason_game_urbom_feels_comfortable/

If Langs is on the team, he is going to wear the C. Look at how he handled being rested for a game, you think he would handle having the C stripped well?

not the reason I posted though.

for the old timers(yes watching sports has made me feel old) out there. Was it Steve Larmer that while taking a couple penalty shots and would take a half slap shot from about the hash marks(an i'm prety sure he scored). I remeber him doing it twice(which was rare considering no shootout). Pretty sure he was a blackhawk the first time, and a ranger he second time. Why I remeber I can't tell you, but would like confirm it if anyone else can.

About that time of year to watch slap shot as well.

Joe

If Langs is on the team, he is going to wear the C. Look at how he handled being rested for a game, you think he would handle having the C stripped well?

Good point I think he would demand a trade. And as much I don't like him we need him on RW. As LA said 2.6 is a nice contract for his skill level.

Edited by Elias26

not the reason I posted though.

for the old timers(yes watching sports has made me feel old) out there. Was it Steve Larmer that while taking a couple penalty shots and would take a half slap shot from about the hash marks(an i'm prety sure he scored). I remeber him doing it twice(which was rare considering no shootout). Pretty sure he was a blackhawk the first time, and a ranger he second time. Why I remeber I can't tell you, but would like confirm it if anyone else can.

About that time of year to watch slap shot as well.

Joe

i have no idea why i remember this, but i can recall sam and jd losing their sh!t over a slapshot penalty shot attempt by him. i might just be mis-remembering because of your memory, but that sounds familiar.

Once again Greene was solid. He really seemed to lead the defensive core. Made me say Paul Martin who? You mean the guy from that movie The Jerk? I also didn't realize Tallinder was such a big dude. Fraser is pretty weak.

When I saw then Flyers goalie was named Bobrovsky I kept thinking of the name Bob Loblaw from Arrested Development.

Once again Greene was solid. He really seemed to lead the defensive core. Made me say Paul Martin who?

It was a preseason game, so it doesn't matter, but Greene was -2, and deserved to be -2, and didn't really do anything on offense, while a couple of rookies were doing nice things. I thought Greene didn't have a good game, especially for a player I expect to be good.

I was in row four last night. Some observations:

Josefson looked like he belonged. I didn't see any glaring errors and was able to keep up physically and skill wise.

Palmieri is junk

Hedberg gave up way too many rebounds. First preseason game i guess but I would want that improved.

Tallinder looked fine as a stay at home defenseman. Corrente didn't impress.

Funny how some people think Greene played really well last night. I actually was sorely disappointed by his play. It's preseason so he probably wasn't playing too hard (especially against Philly where injuries are possible), but he still had a very lackluster night. I'm sure it was just an off-night, though.

Funny how some people don't think Greene had a good night. With the departure of Paul Martin I think a lot of people in the oragnization expect him to fill that role left absent by Martin. Sure he was -2 and didn't make any big plays but along with Tallinder I would say he was one of the defenders who was solid in bringing the puck out of the zone.

I didn't see much from Josefson but I would chalk that up to the fact that I was having a hard time seeing him since he wore 56. We Devs fans aren't really used to high numbers.

Funny how some people don't think Greene had a good night. With the departure of Paul Martin I think a lot of people in the oragnization expect him to fill that role left absent by Martin. Sure he was -2 and didn't make any big plays but along with Tallinder I would say he was one of the defenders who was solid in bringing the puck out of the zone.

I didn't see much from Josefson but I would chalk that up to the fact that I was having a hard time seeing him since he wore 56. We Devs fans aren't really used to high numbers.

i think it could be chalked up to the fact that josefson didn't do much. he made some okay plays, but he had a ton of ice time and didn't register a shot, it's hard for a forward to have a good game and do that. he didn't look out of place (aside from his first shift when he totally blew a coverage), but he didn't set the world on fire.

greene wasn't good down low in the devils' zone, and that's where he struggled for years.

You're right Triumph. Greene wasn't good in the defensive end but it doesn't mean he had an all-around $hitty game. I'm with the majority on this board that Tallinder's Devils debut was impressive but keep in mind he was instrumental in Briere's game-tying goal. Despite that I still think Tallinder's performance was rather successful.

Now that you bring it up, reactions to Josefson's play is another thing that mystifies me about last night. He wasn't bad, but he certainly didn't do anything all too special. However, he is a rookie, he's 19, and it's his first game. I really wasn't expecting much more. I think he will continue to gain confidence through camp, and hopefully he can stick around for some regular season games to show what he's really got.

Josefson looked like he belonged. I didn't see any glaring errors and was able to keep up physically and skill wise.

Palmieri is junk

Corrente didn't impress.

I concur. Palmieri looked bad. Corrente better get his act together if he wants to play in the show.

Palmieri is junk

Corrente didn't impress.

I concur. Palmieri looked bad. Corrente better get his act together if he wants to play in the show.

Funny how some people think Greene played really well last night. I actually was sorely disappointed by his play. It's preseason so he probably wasn't playing too hard (especially against Philly where injuries are possible), but he still had a very lackluster night. I'm sure it was just an off-night, though.

"+1" and "this"

:evil:

i'm not sure what corrente you guys were watching - yeah, his d zone coverage wasn't great (being paired with fraser rarely helps), but he lit a guy up and skated some pucks up the ice. hell, he even got a breakaway. as i saw it, if he keeps this level of play up he will make the team.

i'm not sure what corrente you guys were watching - yeah, his d zone coverage wasn't great (being paired with fraser rarely helps), but he lit a guy up and skated some pucks up the ice. hell, he even got a breakaway. as i saw it, if he keeps this level of play up he will make the team.

I did not see the game so I can't comment on specifics, but isn't D zone coverage pretty damn important for a defensman? And not to just pick out this post, I've seen it elsewhere on this board glossing over a defensman's defensive skill while talking about how well they played on the point(might have been in the retire nieds number thread pointing to better defenders during his day in which many of the ones mentinoned were horrid in their own zone, unlike Scotty Niedermayer) Sure, 2 way defensman are great, but you have to be reliable in your own zone.

Maybe it's just bad flashbacks of phil housley

And getting back off topic. Larmer scored a penalty shot goal agasint the Blackhawks as a ranger(at work, but there were links to it on youtube). that much i got right, now I have to find out where he did it in the past casue I remeber him doing it before that incedent. I'm guessing it was a an all star skills competition.

yes, slow day at work

It was a preseason game, so it doesn't matter, but Greene was -2, and deserved to be -2, and didn't really do anything on offense, while a couple of rookies were doing nice things. I thought Greene didn't have a good game, especially for a player I expect to be good.

What was Greene in the NHL before last season? I can remember loads of people moaning when he was announced in the lineup before the start of games in '09.. I'm happy he had a great season last year but I have no high expectations for him.. For all we know it could have been the greatest season of his career.. I think we're all too quick to assume he's going to be this good for years to come.. We shall see

What was Greene in the NHL before last season? I can remember loads of people moaning when he was announced in the lineup before the start of games in '09.. I'm happy he had a great season last year but I have no high expectations for him.. For all we know it could have been the greatest season of his career.. I think we're all too quick to assume he's going to be this good for years to come.. We shall see

I don't think "good" is going out of the way crazy for Greene. I think Greene is probably a good 3/4 type defenseman in the NHL and last night he played like an AHLer.