Pre-GDT: Devils @ Flyers

Colin226

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, who saw the hit that Brad Mills threw??? He played pretty physical. He nailed the Holmstrom, rookie free agent.

I liked his play, he could be a good 3rd line center if he played physical like that all year. Corrente and Tallinder were very noticeable to me on D, and I love the ALE line, and the Zubs-Josefson-Clarky line...Liked what I saw tonight. Not too shabby for a preseason game. Philly played their starters.... :giggle:

Edited by RizzMB30

Brad Mills is 27 and has trouble keeping up in the AHL, I don't think he's a viable candidate for any NHL job.

He was actually quite bad. I thought he was one of the worst Devs on the ice.

Some other notes:(yes, I know its preseason and game 1 at that)

Clarkson needs to be able to move the puck better when he possess it. I hope he realizes that his physical presence got him in the show, otherwise the lack thereof may get him out just as easily. I am tired of seeing curl and drags up the boards to a dead end pass. Enough already.

Tallinder looked solid. Rock solid.

McKenna played really well. Nice effort from him.

Shelley got a really unfair jump on PL3. I thought Shelley would handle him easily, I was wrong.

Langenbrunner's shooutout attempt was downright embarrasing; Elias' wasn't far behind.

Many of the "youngsters" looked really good. Josefson stood out. My normal fave Corrnte, looks like he still has some seasoning. His game is a confusing one, it looks like he wants to play an a-train game with some Paul martin thrown in. Tough to play like that, unless your really talented. Jury is still out if he can cut it.

Fraser still has some of the worst hands I have seen for anyone in the show.

I'd say the best Devils on the ice were Zubrus and Maier. They were everywhere. This team can't let Zubes go, he is a great gnat with skill. Mair looked like someone trying to earn a paycheck. If Pelley was watching, he should be worried.

Tallinder is rock solid. Nice pick up. Andy Greene looked like 2009-10 as well.

The most inspiring part of the night was watching the Devils PP work it off the goal line. I have no idea why they didn't do this last year, but with talent like Zach, Arnott, Zajac Kovy, Greene, and Elias this could be what makes this team great. Zajac on the goal line to Kovy on the half wall and Parise on the far side will be unstoppable.

I hope I could offer some insight for those that couldn't see the game.

We got more grief from the Phillies crowd(both games let out close together). I just kindly said I heard the Yankees won last year in game 1975. Not much was said after that.

This team is so much betetr than last. It is gonna be a fantastic year. LGD.

It would be nice if Jonn should have grew a pair and replaced Capitan Crybaby. Oh well hopefully only 1 more year with Jamie (& no cup).

Larry better watch out he's next on the temper tantrum list.

Langenbrunner did something different on his shootout attempt tonight, trying a slap shot from the high slot that rookie goalie Sergei Bobrovsky stopped pretty easily.

“That was a Larry Robinson special,” Langenbrunner explained. “He said I should try that one. That one will not be used ever again.”

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/josefson_enjoys_first_nhl_preseason_game_urbom_feels_comfortable/

Good to see the Devils captain and coach off to a good start... lol

How did MacLean handle the bench in his first NHL preseason game as a head coach?

“He did well,” Devils captain Jamie Langenbrunner said. “He controlled the bench. There was no confusion on who was up and everything before the game was brief. It was really encouraging to see how some guys played;”

Watched the whole game... my thoughts:

Elias and Arnott looked to have some chemistry. Arnott is faster than I remember and gosh darn it Elias actually looked pumped up for once!

Langenbrunner is a good fit on that line. If PZK sticks as the first line, I'd be happy with this line backing it up.

Zubrus- I hope we don't lose him. He looks good. Great shot on the one that went in.

Josefson- VERY impressed. That kid can skate! Once he gets comfortable he'll be even better. I think he definitely is on the roster opening night.

Clarkson- Eh... did nothing special. Maybe has to get his legs going...

Mair and Nilson looked decent. So far I'd give the edge to Mair. Great deflection for the goal and he was moving pretty good out there. Nilson looks about a half step behind.

Mills played well enough for me to notice every time he was on the ice. I really don't think there's a spot for him on the team though...

Vasyunov played alright. I can see him getting a shot if Zharkov doesn't stick.

Leblond is Leblond. Nothing special.

Tallinder looked great. If he plays like that every night, I don't think we'll miss Paul Martin very much.

Alex Urbom- LOVE this kid! Not afraid to jump up into the play. He takes the body and looks confident on most things. He did seem a little hesitant to let a rocket go from the point.

Corrente- I liked what he did. He could use some work in the defensive zone but he skates real well and provides some offense from the back end.

Fraser- No thanks.

TOUGH night for Greene and Salvador. But those guys are vets and will come around.

I do think it's obvious that Salvador and/or White has to go at this point.

Hedberg- looked pretty good for his first game in a Devils uniform.

McKenna is a good goalie. He doesn't have that flair that makes him contend for a starting position... but he would be a good backup. His stop on Briere's shootout attempt was great and proves McKenna watches tapes. Briere tries that move all the time and is usually successful.