Devils expect Jamie to return this week

Rock

Devils expect Jamie to return this week

http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=...2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

Tuesday, January 27, 2004

By DAN ROSEN

STAFF WRITER

WEST ORANGE - Jamie Langenbrunner skated with his teammates at South Mountain Arena on Monday for the first time in nearly two months. He looked as if he never had left.

Langenbrunner, out since arthroscopic surgery on Nov. 30 to repair torn cartilage in his left knee, participated in every drill during practice and was paired with Igor Larionov and Mike Rupp.

That won't be a line combination tonight when the Devils begin a three-game road trip at Columbus because Langenbrunner remained in New Jersey. He plans to have a hard workout on the ice today.

If all goes well, he said he'll join the Devils in Detroit for Thursday's game and could play. Langenbrunner already has requested three tickets for friends to Thursday's game, a sign he plans to at least be in the building.

"I feel good," Langenbrunner said following the 45-minute workout. "I wanted to be back for a while, but they're being careful. I feel great, and it shouldn't be an issue [anymore]."

Langenbrunner has been skating on his own for more than a week. He was injured Nov. 28 in Dallas when he collided with Mike Modano.

His return could have come earlier, but he was shelved for an extra week this month because he got sick, which he said, "came at the worst time. I was ready to start skating, and I got the flu."

Langenbrunner, who has seven goals and 12 points in 21 games, said he has yet to feel any ill effects from the surgically repaired knee.

Devils' coach Pat Burns was reluctant to give an exact date for Langenbrunner's return, saying only "he'll come to me somewhere along the way and say [when he's ready]. Whether it's Detroit or St. Louis [saturday], we'll see how he reacts."

DEVILS BRIEFS: The Devils' midwestern swing against Columbus, Detroit, and St. Louis this week will be the last time they change time zones this season.

"You're never anxious to get on the road, but it's our last long road trip, and then we're done," Burns said. "We have a couple of Florida trips, but those are always a little more pleasurable."

The Devils still have a five-game swing bridging February and March that runs from Toronto and Montreal to Florida, Tampa Bay, and Carolina, plus another four-game trip up and down the east coast in late March.

Rupp, a Cleveland native, will play his first NHL game in his home state tonight. Rupp said at least a bus load of fans will be making the 90-minute trip to the game.

I disagree, dj. Gionta is a better fit on that line for the team good... we've all seen how he's struggled to find chemistry on other lines, or witnessed how often he converts on scoring chances off the wing.

I'd rather see Langenbrunner tried on a scoring line. Can't mess with the GEM line since it's heating up, and it seems like Friesen's found a fit with Rasmussen and Rupp -- at least that's what he said. Maybe a line of Friesen-Rasmussen/Rupp-Langenbrunner, which will give two scoring wingers with a big center (don't forget about the chemistry of Friesen-Rupp-Langs in Game 7)

Elias-Gomez-Marshall

Friesen-Rasmussen/Rupp-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta

Brylin-Rupp/Rasmussen/Larionov-Stevenson

Elias-Gomez-Marshall

Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta

Hmmmm ... what a tangled web we weave, eh? :unsure:

What to do when Langs returns? No doubt he'll be a breath of fresh air, but where does he go? Who does he replace? I guess the good thing is (not meaning that it IS good, just hypothetically speaking), the Devils are in definite need of scoring.

So that leaves coach Burns with a dilema. Does he take out Rupp and mess with the so-called chemistry with Razzie and Friesen? In now way should coach replace Brylin, Madden or Gomer.

But what about Razzie or Rupp? Skrlac is good for a fight or two, but other than that ... what? I like the guy, he has paid his dues to be at this level, but come on? What does he have to offer? Stevenson?

As we all agree, Larionov is the odd man out. BUT, will the coach replace him?

Interesting.

He'll make whatever line he is on a better line. Lets not get carried away, though, this is Langs we are talking about, not Sakic. The team will be better with him in there but we still need some more pieces of the puzzle. Still, nice to have him back on the ice.

As an aside, just got a personalized pic from Jamie for my office.... seems that an old family friend drives his kids (along with Stevens and Marty's) to school and she harrassed his wife for a pic... Stevens is on the way, but she is too chicken to ask Melanie for one... can't blame her! Cool pic of him hoisting the Cup.

I disagree, dj. Gionta is a better fit on that line for the team good... we've all seen how he's struggled to find chemistry on other lines, or witnessed how often he converts on scoring chances off the wing.

I'd rather see Langenbrunner tried on a scoring line. Can't mess with the GEM line since it's heating up, and it seems like Friesen's found a fit with Rasmussen and Rupp -- at least that's what he said. Maybe a line of Friesen-Rasmussen/Rupp-Langenbrunner, which will give two scoring wingers with a big center (don't forget about the chemistry of Friesen-Rupp-Langs in Game 7)

Elias-Gomez-Marshall

Pandolfo-Madden-Gionta

What are all of the current offensive/defensive lines.

What are the lines that should be changed and who should they include?

What I'm sayign is this "chemistry" between Marshall and Elias & Gomez is mostly on the PP as a lot of his points are scored there.

I think we all need to wake up a realize that Elias and Gomez are brilliant and make whomever they play with better. Hell, I bet I could bury a few on a line with them.

Gionta's talent is wasted on the Pandolfo-Madden line? I don't think so. In fact, when he played apart from them, he had exactly 0 goals in the first three playoff rounds. A lot of shots into goalies' chests though.

That's yesterday, Tri. Players get better, and I think Gionta is going to get a lot better. He's already improved a lot from 2 years ago. My argument doesn't look too good now because he's slumping, but I firmly believe that one day soon