Rag$ to retire Richters number tonight

JesterDevil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

tremendous ceremony, well done.

richter gets his number to the rafters, a speed boat, a net with a silver crossbar, a nice mosaic with all his great moments and a scholarship fund in his name. The ceremony included many ranger greats and was very classy. Really puts the Dano thing to shame.

Yup - the ONLY similarity between Mike Richter night and Ken Daneyko night is both teams bit the dust in the game.

Some people might say the Rangers OVERdid it, in fact. I don't think they did but even if they did I'd much MUCH rather 'overdo' it when honoring a player that meant that much to the team as opposed to having the second-rate ceremony that we did for Dano.

4-3 Wild.

Jacques is still kickin' along....

Minnisota is an odd team. A collection of odd parts and spares... you know you have a sad team when, as Pierre McGuire put it "...will sadly miss Jim Dowd, if he's out injured". But yet they could still make the playoffs again....

I am still amazed at how stirring the ceremony was. To be at something of that magnitude was a privilege. It was special. I had tears and almost lost it twice. Once at the very beginning and once when Richter's number was going up to the rafters :hail: . They also gave out a Richter booklet with a collage tribute to what his career was. And how much it meant to all the fans and the organization. Plus a mini-Richter banner with the #35.

I can't even think about the game after what I saw. It was great! We went nuts for Graves. I even yelled out, "We love ya Gravy!" :rofl:

The chants of, "Richter, Richter, Richter!!!!!" were deafening.

His speech was terrific. Anybody who bashes this guy is sick and demented. To even say Richter is cocky is the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. We're talking about a worldclass individual first over the worldclass athlete. This is one of the brightest guys. Period. And he showed it tonight. It was like he said. "Overwhelming."

Just the fact they showed Smith that one time on the screen was great. I loved every minute of this 50-minute ceremony! It was like getting a reprieve and being at a playoff game!!!!! I'm glad the organization can do that so right because there's not much else.

Two thoughts on the game:

1.Jaromir Jagr put on a show and has already proven he will be a great Ranger.

2.Mike Dunham is a horrible goaltender and symbolizes why the team stinks. Any Ranger fan who dissed Richter last year for this piece of garbage putz should be ashamed of themselves. How else can you spell Doneham?

Some comments towards the Brodeur vs Richter comparison that took place on Chris Russo's show today. The people who called up missed the point. Russo did not say Richter was better than Brodeur. Few goalies are. But I still agree with him about Richter being able to win the big games. Why couldn't he win those three Cups with the Devils? He was always the best on breakaways and penalty shots. And he always was very tough from in close. Richter never had the kind of brickwall defense Brodeur has had. If he did, there's no doubt in my mind he wins a couple of more Cups. Everyone points to the stickhandling of Brodeur making up the difference in shots faced. Maybe it eliminates half. But the other half are eliminated by defensemen like Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. You can't point to an eight shot difference just being the goalie without mentioning the Hall of Fame defensemen. And that doesn't even factor the best system in the game.

Some fans say why? I say why not. Richter was on the inferior team in '97 and prevailed. You think if he was on the Devils, he wouldn't have done well? He'd have at least 100 more victories and probably still be playing.

Richey's # is in the rafters of MSG and all is right with the world. This was a magnificent sendoff for a magnificent athlete and human being, who gave it his all game and game out and NEVER, EVER complained.

Mike Richter will always be rememberd as the greatest American goaltender of all time.

May the rest of his life be filled with seashells and balloons. May his retirement be everything that he hoped and dreamed it would be. The NHL is a much, much colder place without his greatness and his competitive spirit on display.

Thanks, Mike!! Now go enjoy yourself forever!! We love ya, big guy!! :clap::clap:

IceThief

Some comments towards the Brodeur vs Richter comparison that took place on Chris Russo's show today. The people who called up missed the point. Russo did not say Richter was better than Brodeur. Few goalies are. But I still agree with him about Richter being able to win the big games. Why couldn't he win those three Cups with the Devils? He was always the best on breakaways and penalty shots. And he always was very tough from in close. Richter never had the kind of brickwall defense Brodeur has had. If he did, there's no doubt in my mind he wins a couple of more Cups. Everyone points to the stickhandling of Brodeur making up the difference in shots faced. Maybe it eliminates half. But the other half are eliminated by defensemen like Scott Stevens and Scott Niedermayer. You can't point to an eight shot difference just being the goalie without mentioning the Hall of Fame defensemen. And that doesn't even factor the best system in the game.

Some fans say why? I say why not. Richter was on the inferior team in '97 and prevailed. You think if he was on the Devils, he wouldn't have done well? He'd have at least 100 more victories and probably still be playing.

Few things 1) I agree w. Derek, Russo was trying to stir the pot...

Here's the thing, richter much like Luongo & Cujo is a Goalie that needs alot of shots, they stay focused and they get in the zone....

Broduer on the other hand is so focused he can go 14 minutes w/out touching the puck and then make 3 amazing saves out of nowhere.

Yes the DEVS defense is amazing and has helped Broduers stats, but i also beleiove that Broduer has helped build the nystique about that "D".

He has made some amazing saves when that "D" falters and everyone knows rarely a uear goes by where the devs do not have rooks on the blue line,..and Marty's Job is to cover for them while they learn and he does.

I'm not even going to try to compare what their careers would have been w/ outerh teams...its impossible...

Richter was a very good goalie, probably the best American goalie ever, possibly the best ranger goalie ever....maybe a HoF, but not g'teed...

Marty is one of the alltime greats, and if he stays healthy will own many an NHL record before he's done....

So, do the Devils win the Cup in 2000 with the Mike Richter of 2000? You see, that's MY point.

Richter was a great goalie for four, maybe five, years. A lot of guys have had great stretches like that in all sports. Would the Richter of 1994-96 have won three cups for the Devils? Probably. But what a dumb thing to say. D-U-M-B.

God bless Mike Richter, but he's lucky to have his number retired and if he makes the Hall of fame, they should conduct an investigation.

So, do the Devils win the Cup in 2000 with the Mike Richter of 2000? You see, that's MY point.

Richter was a great goalie for four, maybe five, years. A lot of guys have had great stretches like that in all sports. Would the Richter of 1994-96 have won three cups for the Devils? Probably. But what a dumb thing to say. D-U-M-B.

God bless Mike Richter, but he's lucky to have his number retired and if he makes the Hall of fame, they should conduct an investigation.

Someone was on the fan last night talking about how Richter is one of the greatest American goalies ever(true) and that he is a shoe in for the hall of fame. Its funny because people say Broduer would only probably be a HOFer if he retired today but Richter is a shoe in? Thats a joke.

-Scott

No one is arguing against Brodeur being a shoe in. I am just saying Richter is too. Richter may have "needed more shots" in fact I agree with that assumption that most goalies need more shots than Marty gets. Marty has the ability to stay focused. However, Richter never had the opprotunity to prove that, so you cannot hold him at fault. Richter was a great his career, despite unfortuntely playing for a sh!t team the last half of it.

Edited by HellOnICE

Ok so many points so here:

1) Richter deserves to have his Number retired, I am surprised that it has only been the thrid retired by the Rangers

2) Fatso and Froot Loops know nothing about hockey other than the Rangers. I would like to see someone call up and ask them to name fives Islanders and Devils and see then struggle.

3) Who was a better Goalie. Brodeur, of course more cups and more dominating over a longer period of time.

4) Dunham sucks. Goals one and four last night were inexcuable.

Edited by Joe Mac

Have to agree with Jerry.. Richter never won a Vezina, and went deep into the playoffs twice. While Cup winning goalies are often elevated over their peers, I'd have a difficult time making a case for a goalie who had 2 30 win seasons, no major trophies, and average numbers for half his career.

Was Richter a great one-game goalie? Absolutely. From 93-94 to 97-98, he was a top 5 goalie in the league. I think he was underrated outside of New York too, as most New York players are (I still don't understand how, but that's how it is). He absolutely deserved to have his number retired. But he was not a Hall of Fame goalie.

Few things 1) I agree w. Derek, Russo was trying to stir the pot...

Here's the thing, richter much like Luongo & Cujo is a Goalie that needs alot of shots, they stay focused and they get in the zone....

Broduer on the other hand is so focused he can go 14 minutes w/out touching the puck and then make 3 amazing saves out of nowhere.

Yes the DEVS defense is amazing and has helped Broduers stats, but i also beleiove that Broduer has helped build the nystique about that "D".

He has made some amazing saves when that "D" falters and everyone knows rarely a uear goes by where the devs do not have rooks on the blue line,..and Marty's Job is to cover for them while they learn and he does.

I'm not even going to try to compare what their careers would have been w/ outerh teams...its impossible...

Richter was a very good goalie, probably the best American goalie ever, possibly the best ranger goalie ever....maybe a HoF, but not g'teed...

Marty is one of the alltime greats, and if he stays healthy will own many an NHL record before he's done....

Agree with everything you said Red. It's hard to say how their careers would have turned out if they traded places. I just think Richter could have won more had he been on a better team. I kinda feel bad for him in that aspect. And he still had a great career.

Here are Richter's credentials as far as the Hall of Fame:

-1 Cup

-1996 World Cup Gold

-Silver Medal Team USA 2002 Olympics

For a goalie that didn't see the postseason his last six seasons, he has a pretty good record and GAA on a poor defensive team:

1989-90 - 2002-03: 666 GP 301-258-73 2.89 GAA 24 SHO

His postseason numbers are better:

1989-90 - 1996-97: 76 GP 41-33 2.68 GAA 9 SHO

Now, let's throw some other greats into the equation so we can see whether Richter has a case:

Ed Giacomin

Reg Season: 610 GP 289-208-97 2.82 GAA 54 SHO

Postseason: 65 GP 29-35 2.81 GAA 1 SHO

Comment: The only other Ranger goalie to have his number retired. The "Eddie, Eddie, Eddie!!!!!" chants were back at last night's ceremony. A great goalie with similar numbers to Richter. But not the postseason success.

Grant Fuhr

Reg Season: 868 GP 403-295-114 3.38 GAA 25 SHO

Postseason: 150 GP 92-50 2.92 GAA 6 SHO 5 Cups

Comment: Just looking at Fuhr's postseason record speaks volumes for what kind of clutch goalie he was. Those are awesome numbers compared to his regular season.

Dave Kerr

Reg Season: 427 GP 203-148-75 2.15 GAA 51 SHO

Postseason: 40 GP 18-19 1.74 GAA 8 SHO 1 Cup (1940 Rangers)

Comment: He played with the Maroons, Americans and Rangers throughout his career. Not talked about much in terms of greatest Ranger goalie. But look at the numbers! Phenomenal and won with the 1939-40 team. Of course, he did play in a different era too.

Derek, you chose to compare Richter to Giacomin in a Hall of Fame argument. I wouldn't. I would compare him the best goalies of the 1990s, and he doesn't measure up. He falls short. There are already three goalies who thrived during the 1990s, guaranteed, going to the Hall. Hasek, Roy, Brodeur. Belfour has to be considered a contender, too. I don't think there's room for Richter