WFAN 660

hattrick

Did anyone listen around 4:00 to 5:00 pm yesterday? Mad Dog was enlightening the listeners with his hockey expertise about his opinion and comparisons between Brodeur and Richter. I think I heard him say that Richter was better (for particular years) because of Richter receiving more average shots per game than Marty. He also challenged Devil fans and stated "if Richter was on the Devils do you think the Devils would of won 3 Cups?" This is all speculation. Who knows?

This is like saying if DiMaggio was on the Red Sox and Ted Williams was on the Yankees, would the Red Sox of won any or more World Series.

I am sure I missed some points and details that Chris Russo was trying to make, because I began to tune him out and even changed the station. I for one think both are Hall of Famers.

Yeah I heard it. Brodeur only stopped 13 shots in the third in game 7 against Ottawa in game 7 last year. The classic Ranger lament: Richter beat Brodeur twice in head to head match-ups in the playoffs. The Devils defense makes Brodeur good. Jack- Ass Russo never stopped to think that Brodeur helps the Devil defense be as good as it is? :angry:

Go watch your tennis Russo and don't even try to have a hockey conversation on the radio ever again.

:soap::soap::burn::soap:

you mean the guy who kept saying Brodeur had a 1.97 ERA ??

Come on guys.. you only listen to Mike and Mad Dog for football and baseball only....

they wouldn't know hockey if I speared them in the gonads with my goalie stick

and yesterday PROVED it... I can't beleive I am saying this.. but ESPN radio is the

place to talk the puck in NY ;p

Yeah well what does anyone expect...they almost never have any hockey talk on that show so I don't expect them to be all that knowledgeable about it to begin with.

That said, I'd take Marty over Richter simply because he's been more consistent. Sure Richter didn't have the best team in his later years but even when he had a pretty good team he was a little on-and-off (his '95 season after the Cup win in '94 for one). And as for Richter facing more shots on goal, well we've seen how meaningless that stat can be in the last three games. A ton of goalies say it's actually easier to face more shots.

What Richter did was step up for the big games. He did that well enough that until the last couple of years I would have said I'd take Richter over Marty in a one-game situation (and only then). Of course the gold medal, the Vezina and a gritty Cup win moved Marty up to the point where he belongs in the Roy, Hasek company.

I can't beleive I am saying this.. but ESPN radio is the

place to talk the puck in NY ;p

You are kidduing me right???

Legrca is a great Hockey guy, love when he is on, but other than him the dopes on ESPN are just as bad as Mike & the Dog....

& Mac & Sid are very good when it comes to hockey...

The Dog's biggest mistake was saying that if Broduer was better than Richter he would not have blown the 2-0 lead in game six in '94.... He could not understand 2 things...1 Broduer was a rook to the playoff scene, and 2 the rest of the devs disappeared in that 3rd period.....

Yeah that's true... I should know Mac and Sid cause I listen to them at home all

the time.. but once you hear "annnddddd... goood afternonn everybody !!"

I click off the radio till 4:00... at least Matthews and Keegan TRY instead of the

high brow crap you get from Fatso and baseball whore :P

...actually now that I think about it... the 4-7 show is the ONLY one I listen to on

ESPN (I'd listen to Rome if he was live)... my bad... I just hate Mike and the Mad Dog

once NFL season ends...

why does anyone listen to those two annoying, self rightious wind bags anymore. mike was bearable for a while, but has become so full of himself in recent years that he just needs to be cut off at the knees to bring him back down to size, but that a-hole maddog? my god is he hard to listen to with that voice. And since they got on t.v. you see that all they do is read the nypost and daily news sports pages and turn it into a 4 hr gab fest. as much as I hate espn t.v., espn radio is the only sports radio I'll listen to these days

I have to admit, what Russo said made me angry. And if I was on the phone with Russo and he said Richter would have won three Cups in NJ if he was the goalie, I would have said:

NONSENSE.

Because that's what it is. Richter had a very good career. But his excellence is crammed into four, maybe five, years. Richter was at the top of his game when he outdueled Brodeur. So what? Enrique Wilson owns Pedro, too.

Richter won 30 games TWICE. TWICE! Did the Rangers have bad defense all those years? Gimme a break Russo. Brodeur has eight 30-win seasons, going on nine, knock on wood. You don't know your ass from your elbow, Mad Dog. What a load of crap that came outta his mouth yesterday.

the biggest point the moron missed is:

1. Richter was a goalie who needs to see a LOT of shots to stay in the game

2. Brodeur is a rare goalie who does NOT lose focus when he sees few shots

3. Brodeur's stick handling and ability to reead the play and pick off passes

took 5-10 shots A GAME off the board....

but what do you expect from a gu who watches Tennis and the NBA all night ?? :P

*yay time to board the airplane :P *

That's what Russo did, sundstrom. He put Richter and Brodeur in the same boat. He said that Mike Richter, with the Devils defense, would have won three championships. MIKE RICHTER!

God, what about Hasek? How many would HE have won, Russo? Seven? :rofl:

Edited by Jerrydevil

Russo completely fails to understand a few key points:

Richter would never have fit into the Devils defensive system, which is actually built around the defensemen and Marty working together. Since Richter was completely unable to handle the puck (he used to hand it to the other team) and usually left rebounds in front of his goal instead of sending them to the corners as Brodeur usually does, the Devils defensive system would NEVER have worked with him in goal. Period. The D-men would have been pounded behind the net and they would have been spending a hell of a lot of time trying to clear rebounds from in front of the net. Shot on goal would have gone way up, and they would have been the kind of quality chances that the Flyers used to get on Richter in the playoffs...and beat him.

Even if they had miraculously kept shots on goal DOWN, Richter wouldn't have done very well in that scenario. The worst games I've ever seen him play were games where he only faced 15-20 shots. He couldn't take the inactivity. He couldn't do what Marty does, which is remain focused while facing a low number of shots AND knowing you can only give up 2, 1 or sometime NO goals and win. He wasn't that kind of goalie. That doesn't mean he was a bad goalie, just that he and Marty are not the same KIND of goalie.

It makes me cringe every time they refer to the owner of the Islanders as Charles "Wong" and his name is spelt Wang.

They know nothing about hockey. Mac and Sid, know their Hockey and ESPN radio is establishing itself as a hockey station, but Fatso and Froot Loops don't ahve a clue and they sometimes even admit it.

It makes me cringe every time they refer to the owner of the Islanders as Charles "Wong" and his name is spelt Wang.

They know nothing about hockey. Mac and Sid, know their Hockey and ESPN radio is establishing itself as a hockey station, but Fatso and Froot Loops don't ahve a clue and they sometimes even admit it.

Actually, they are proud of the fact that they don't follow the sport, think it is funny that they don't, until they HAVE to cover a story and then they act like God Almighty and argue with the callers who might actually know something.

What truly makes me angry is this. They say they are only covering what the callers want them to talk about. But I have heard callers call into their show and ask to talk about hockey DURING hockey season and been told they don't want to discuss it. They are too busy talking about baseball, I guess.

Here's the deal with the fan:

Mac and Sid - you will get your question heard.

Fatso and Froot Loops - Forget it as Jerry said you need to lie to them and expect to be attacked if they don't like you.

Steve Sommers - Unless you are talking about the Rangers, he will make fun of you. I don't know about the Devils, but if you are an Islanders fan (or as he calls them the Icelanders) he will amke fun of you.

Joe B - At least is a fan and will talk about the Isles and Devils even though he makes no quarms on who he roots for.

It will be interesting to see how this chnages next year when they will be having Isles and Devils games on the Fan.

Sue, one time I called the FAN, and the only way I could ask my Devils question was to lie to the screener. I told him I wanted to talk about Shane Spencer. Hahahahaha!

Good for you. I couldn't sleep one night & actually called into Joe Benigno several years ago & had a very long discussion on the Brodeur vs. Richter issue. We actually came to the conclusion that each goalie was the right goalie for their team. I managed to convince him (at least at that point, he may have forgotten now) that this idea that Richter would do just as well or better than Brodeur in the Devils system was not correct because Brodeur made the Devs system work and Richter didn't have the ability to do what Brodeur could do in that system.

Was that Farelle? Anyway: It's not nice to make fun of the infirmed. I'm ashamed of you all... :rolleyes:

That was him, man was he annoying. He did know something about hockey but it was so hard to hear him that it just wasn't worth it.

I heard Dog's little tirade. I really dont care what his opinion is. I think Marty is a better goalie now than he was when he faced Richter.

Lets see..

3cups

1 Gold Metal

1 Vezina

and the best puck handler in the game,,EVER!

enough said,,,

the best part was the Rag$ fan that called and said,,he doesnt think Marty is a hall of famer yet,,lets wait and see...HUH!!?? wait and see what!!!?? u f*&%^# moron!

Russo wasn't putting Richter in Brodeur's class. He even stated that after a few of the calls. He was just saying that if you put Richter in a better situation, he probably would have had a better career. He was a great big game goalie. But injuries and poor D and cruddy team chemistry wasted his final six years.

Since when did the Rangers have a good D? Just look at how much it deteriorated after '96-97.

89-90 279 GF 267 GA

90-91 297 GF 265 GA

91-92 321 GF 246 GA

92-93 304 GF 308 GA

93-94 299 GF 231 GA

94-95 139 GF 134 GA

95-96 272 GF 237 GA

96-97 258 GF 231 GA

97-98 197 GF 231 GA

98-99 217 GF 227 GA

99-00 218 GF 246 GA

00-01 250 GF 290 GA

01-02 227 GF 258 GA

02-03 210 GF 231 GA

That doesn't even include this season. It will be seven playoffless years running where they got outscored significantly.

I've called in a few times, back in '94.

Benigno, a-hole, once made the statement that he rooted for EVERY local team, except for the Devils.

Wanted to kill him

i still do... what a prick