What do you want at the new arena?

NewarkDevil5

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, it would also be a good idea to have some sort of walkway or monorail thing from the arena to the train station. This would be to ensure the safety of the fans.

It's bad for redevelopment if people can go straight from the train station to the arena and back without passing any outside businesses. I doubt a walkway will happen.

Oh yeah, it would also be a good idea to have some sort of walkway or monorail thing from the arena to the train station.  This would be to ensure the safety of the fans.

It's bad for redevelopment if people can go straight from the train station to the arena and back without passing any outside businesses. I doubt a walkway will happen.

There already is a gateway walkway that goes from Penn Station to across the street from the arena site. Even if they don't extend it to go directly to the arena it is still very close.

That redevelopment comment is kinda weird since you can go from the arena/stadium right to public transportation without passing by any other business in the following cities with downtown venues:

Cleveland (Gund Arena/Jacob's FIeld)

Washington, DC (MCI Center)

New York (MSG)

Boston (Fleet Center)

Dallas (American Airlines Center)

Toronto (Air Canada Center/ SkyDome)

Vancouver (GM Place)

Baltimore (Camden Yards)

San Francisco (PacBell Park)

And that is just off the top of my head, I am sure there are more examples.

Oh yeah, it would also be a good idea to have some sort of walkway or monorail thing from the arena to the train station.  This would be to ensure the safety of the fans.

Oh yea, forgot about that I guess.

That's true from Fort Worth (they have a separate train system), but not from DART light rail.

BTW - where were you coming from? Fort Worth or someplace in between?

Edited by Nieuwy25

another thing I saw that was hella cool in Columbus... they have a big rack and inside

the rack they keep all the Hats Thrown on the cie for hat tricks (which eas empty

back in 1999, but still a great idea)

he,he,he.....you said "big rack"! :o:P

heh... you didn't even see the girl I went with the arena too way back then :evil:

(but I digres :P )

fried dough? You mean funnel cake? Funnel cake rules.

The "fried dough" I know, a.k.a., an elephant ear, is a ball of dough stretched out into large pancake-sized flat disk and deep-fried for a couple minutes. It poofs up a bit as it fries (but does stay mostly flat), then after draining for a minute or two gets a healthy sprinkling of cinnamon sugar on top. Quite tasty if I must say so myself.

That said, funnel cake is also good stuff. :P

Edited by Googer

No direct connection to the CD Player and the speakers! Let's hear some organ music for a change.

I second that!

It's gotta have multiple concurses (I'd say three sounds like a good number to me), and as mentioned before, plenty of ways to get down/up... Perhaps a fire pole? Although that would be difficult to get up I guess...

IN any case, uh- bigger bathrooms, stores that you can walk into, no game room (I too would get stuck in there!), three teirs of seats, but no more then 18000. Plus one and a half rows of luxury boxes to make management happy.

Who said Lou was an owner? Tsk Tsk!

Maybe the lcd thing that goes between the teirs... but make sure that the person running it has epilepsi so they don't go crazy with the thing.

I like the walkeway idea... maybe Dano would be the first Devil mounted on it? Heh, or Chico!

(Great thread, btw. I wonder if anyone important might read it... It's great input from the fans, and cheap research on what to build into the arena)

Oh, and one more thing that I know isn't going to happen... Don't sell the name of it. Name it after someone important, and leave it that way... Heck, I'd name it the Brendan Burn Arena if I had my way...

As far as in the arena goes, I really don't care as it will all be so overpriced it's ridiculous. But, the design should be more like the Wild's building or the Sabers building - stacked tiers that overhang each other, bringing the upper tier much closer to the ice surface than older arena's, like caa, were built - caa and other arena sort of pan back with the lower tier, then step up and start going back again even further. The new buildings have a little steeper incline in the lower tier, then a row of luxury boxes that hang out over the lower tier, then an upper tier that starts out hanging out too, on the roof of the luxury boxes. Also, I like the "harbor club" bar at the end of the ice in buffalo that you can get an ice view table and not even bother going to your seats - and it stays open for an hour or so after the game.

One thing I'd really like is that outside the arena, not a part of, attached to or in any way affiliated with the arena, within walking distance, much like the Wild's building in st. paul, the area should be a little downtown district with restaurants and sports bars. St. Paul did it right, you leave your office building and walk over toward the arena, stop off two blocks away and meet your friends at the sports bar or a restaurant, then head out to the game, and afterwards, back to the sports bar and wait for traffic to die down.

I think it should be called the McMullen Arena.

I like the FU center (Or is it Wachovia now). The luxury box area kicks a$$. As does the area where you can get seat service for drinks and such from waitpersons :P

The outside area for NJ sports legends is a great idea.

Is there anyway to get rid of the netting?????????

The bathrooms are key. Lots of stops in them if you know what I mean and don't just cram a whole bunch in a small area (the new Eagles stadium has lots of urinals but in too small of an area- it ends up being a bit claustrophobic in there)

I like the idea of a custom brew. maybe Devils Dark, Rangers Bane Pale Ale and Lindros light?

Cup holders are so simple yet so appreciated

Netting is a league requirement, get used to it, just a matter of time before it goes all the way around, too much potential liability in today's "sue for a million" society.

One thing that is good, some arena's have the netting go up like 60 to 80 feet, so that the stupid little bar that holds it up at the top is BELOW the line of site of even the highest seat in the house. Other arena's cheaped out and only put up what was required and you find yourself in the upper tier looking up over it or down under it all the time - very annoying.

I'm personally in favor of Robert Treat Arena, Prudential Center (aka the Rock), or Four Corners Colisseum. Robert Treat being the founder of the city of Newark in 1666, Prudential being the largest company founded and still headquartered in Newark, and Four Corners being the nickname of the intersection of Market Street and Broad Street which is pretty close to the arena site. I'd like to see a microbrewery from Budweiser in the arena, even though I'm not much of a beer drinker, because their largest brewery is just across town and I think fans would like that. I'd also like a good New Jersey fast food joint (Newark Style Italian Hot Dogs (Edison), Max's (Long Branch), Windmill (Long Branch), Rutt's Hut (Clifton), Jersey Mike's Subs, Red Chimney (Rt 3), JJ's (truck by Branch Brook Park), or something of the sort) running concessions. Aramark is terrible. I'd like the middle concourse to have an outside hallway, with arched windows going the perimeter of the building and a statue of a NJ sports legend in each arch. Similar idea to the ancient Collosseum in Rome.

A good restaurant right in the arena would help get business people in. Think about it, add a Shula's Steakhouse, rather than the winners club or whatever it is now that is run by the same concession company as the rest of the arena. Then salesmen could take their clients to a GOOD dinner and the game and many of those lower tier seats would end up with fannies in them instead of being empty - currently, they're mostly corporate anyway, so you pick up or meet your client for dinner, miles away from the CAA, then after you're done eating you look at your watch and say, "ahh screw it let's go grab a drink someplace" instead of parking at giants stadium and walking in the cold to fight through the crowded CAA concourse - that's why so many of those seats are empty most nights. Put the dinner place, something like a Shula's or a Smith & Wolenski, right there in the new arena - and don't let the crappy concessions company have anything to do with it.

The Ballpark in Arlington has a TGI Friday's overlooking right field & the Home Run Porch, with tables at the windows. And another restaurant in the left field corner that I think is only open to STH's. There's also a Club level (not suites) where waiters take orders and bring the food to you.

Buffalo has that club level too - just above the lower tier, with the luxury boxes jutting out over it - waiter service at you seats - cup holders - and gets you access to their harbor club (nice bar/good food/tables)which looks out over the visitors end of the ice. Probably the best deal in the arena - seats are cheaper than lower tier, cheaper than luxury boxes, but, you get access to the harbor club and I think you can buy the parking option with it also (like the luxury box owners), separate entrance with coat check - don't have to mingle with all those commoners - lol.