Odds on Rolston Getting Waived/Re-Entried Again?

Sharifijanov2099

Just curious, seeing how we took on 2011-2012 cap space in our Arnott trade (since he is UFA and Steckel is not), what are the odds on Rolston again being waived later in the year (if NJ, say, falls out of the playoff picture completely)?

It would make signing Parise a whole lot easier if we had 5+M off the cap, and Rolston (at current production rate) would add nicely to some playoff bound club. I'm not sure who has the cap space to do it, tho.

At any rate, Clarkson would be nice to waive as well, but I don't get the feeling Lou has given up on him and his 2.66M cap hit.

I dont think we'll wave him its his last season on the contract so we'll get that money to sign parise

No, he has a year left on this deal.

And I may be wrong but I'm not sure this kind of thing would be kosher after the trade deadline.

It would be nice if he was claimed on re-entry (I think don't think any GM would claim him straight up). Even so I don't see him being claimed on re-entry, but perhaps so GM out there is willing to take a shot based on his name and his recent point production (without seeing his actual play game in and game out).

I don't think it happens until next year, because ol' Sulks McGillicudy will go back to playing horribly instead of close to average. Lou's going to have to have a good long talk about him accepting a 3rd line role next year.

again - i don't think there's a question AT ALL about Rolston waiving his NTC to go anywhere. he's gotta know that he's not getting top 6 minutes next year if he's still here and after seeing what happened with langenbrunner, i think that they all realize, when a team asks you to waive your NTC, you might as well do it. i would expect Lou to do his due diligence and ask every team in the league if they want him and then ask them again if they want him at 1/2 price. I don't think he re-entry waives him again w/o knowing that someone would take him. i keep coming back to the isles but there are other teams out there.

I think it's likely. Either now, or if Lou really thinks the playoffs are a shot, once the Devils are eliminated. Re Entry Waiving him before the season ends would make a lot of sense, since there is probably some team out there that would be interested in adding offense and taking a chance on the guy. He'd be the only guy available really you could add between now and the playoffs.

In the offseason there will be tons of other Free Agents/Trades available to GMs. Lou should do it now while he has a monopoly on the Offensive Talent you can acquire between now and the playoffs beginning.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman

In the offseason there will be tons of other Free Agents/Trades available to GMs. Lou should do it now while he has a monopoly on the Offensive Talent you can acquire between now and the playoffs beginning.

Do what, he wouldn't be getting anything back for Rolston other than $2.5 million of dead cap space next year. You're too willing to take on $2.5 million in dead cap space, he could also have some value to a team in the offseason as an expiring contract to get over the salary floor (Florida, Isles), plus most of the teams this season are capped out or budgeted out anyway.

Even if it's minimial value like a nothing prospect or a seventh-round pick I'd rather get rid of all the cap space. And if he keeps playing like he has the last twenty games we will get a taker for him.

If Rolston is like me he'll retire. I'd say it right at season's close loud and happy to all who will listen so Lou had ZERO chance of making a deal in the off-season. Clearing waivers once is a pretty clear sign you're done. I'd never fool myself into thinking I'd found my mojo.

I'd think "I am dicking you over before you dick me pal. EAT IT! EAT MY SALARY YOU GNOME!"

:mellow:

:evil:

Edited by Pepperkorn

again - i don't think there's a question AT ALL about Rolston waiving his NTC to go anywhere. he's gotta know that he's not getting top 6 minutes next year if he's still here and after seeing what happened with langenbrunner, i think that they all realize, when a team asks you to waive your NTC, you might as well do it.

the problem is that rolston wouldn't be going to anyone who's good. he would be playing out what will almost certainly be the final season of his career on a bottom feeder. sure, he said he would waive his NTC to go anywhere, but now he's getting all that cushy ice time and he's almost doing stuff with it - that's all in the past.

Do what, he wouldn't be getting anything back for Rolston other than $2.5 million of dead cap space next year. You're too willing to take on $2.5 million in dead cap space, he could also have some value to a team in the offseason as an expiring contract to get over the salary floor (Florida, Isles), plus most of the teams this season are capped out or budgeted out anyway.

Even if it's minimial value like a nothing prospect or a seventh-round pick I'd rather get rid of all the cap space. And if he keeps playing like he has the last twenty games we will get a taker for him.

I don't see why anyone would want him. He's 5 million dollars in cap space AND salary. He's been playing well recently, but teams with 5 million in cap space aren't going to want to acquire him for one last season. They either can't afford it or will have other, better options available to them. The only way I see to get rid of him is to dump him between now and the playoffs on a team looking for offense, desperate enough that they're willing to take him at 2.5 mill next season.

Rolston is no longer the Rolston of old, he is Rolston 2.0. He got first star during the last game. He has been playing very well. He was busting his as from what I saw at the game @ panthers. I was on the glass and saw him hustling.

I don't see why anyone would want him. He's 5 million dollars in cap space AND salary. He's been playing well recently, but teams with 5 million in cap space aren't going to want to acquire him for one last season. They either can't afford it or will have other, better options available to them. The only way I see to get rid of him is to dump him between now and the playoffs on a team looking for offense, desperate enough that they're willing to take him at 2.5 mill next season.

a trade to florida and a buyout would save florida money, since they are going to be a cap floor team - florida would save 1.66 million by doing this. but why would rolston accept a trade to florida, knowing that he will almost certainly lose out on $? (i don't think he gets a contract for 1.66 million next year if he's a free agent - i think he gets around 1.5M tops).

maybe they can make it work. i would trade rolston for steven reinprecht's contract in the off-season, and either buy reinprecht out or leave him in the german league. hell, we'll throw in corrente and they can throw in some piece that doesn't matter just to make it almost a hockey trade.

the devils really only need to clear up around $2M in salary to make everything work next season. this would clear up $5M, meaning they could be buyers if they wanted to be.

Edited by Triumph

This is Rolston's last year on contract?

I though Rolston was on the books for next year too.... so he's just done now? well that nullifies my post above :P

Seriously I never look anything up - I go by memory of what's been posted here alone. I suck :smilegah:

No he's not -- he IS on our books for next year???

Seriously -- do we not all expect him to retire? Do you all really think he thinks anyone else worthwhile thinks he has anything left? Am i too proud?

Edited by Pepperkorn

I though Rolston was on the books for next year too.... so he's just done now? well that nullifies my post above :P

You were correct the first time. His current contract doesn't expire until after the end of next season.

Edit: I see you already corrected yourself. :D

Edited by DaneykoIsGod

Seriously I never look anything up - I go by memory of what's been posted here alone. I suck :smilegah:

No he's not -- he IS on our books for next year???

Seriously -- do we not all expect him to retire? Do you all really think he thinks anyone else worthwhile thinks he has anything left? Am i too proud?

because of the 35+ rule where any multi-year contract signed past the age of 35 counts on the cap regardless of whether or where the player is playing (as long as he is not injured), him retiring would be worse than him playing.

i've really talked myself into this florida thing, though. he doesn't have a top 6 role next year, and he could go wherever he pleased if that deal went down. he'd probably lose at most $150,000 in real dollars.

Edited by Triumph

The only way for teams like Florida and the Isles to add salary is by trading for it or claiming other bad contracts in the offseason. The Isles in particular can't bribe FA's to go there (Martin for example) unless it's on short-term deals where they know they're getting traded to contenders anyway. After all the liquidation Florida's done they're surely millions below the floor for next year and the Isles are usually flirting with it as well.

The trick is getting Rolston to waive the NTC to go there but I'm sure after being waived twice he'd be amenable to moving - especially since he already said he wouldn't be a hinderance if he was asked to waive the NTC.

Rolston's really stepped it up since being waived the first time. I think waiving him again would be an incredibly poor idea. It sends the message that results or no, you're still getting waived.

Yeah that's kind of the other reason it's not a good idea to waive him again this season. Plus I don't think we really need the cap space anyway, with subtracting Arnott and Langs' salary and having the cap supposedly go up yet again we should have enough room to give Zach a substantial raise next year. We might lose Greene in the process but with our defensemen coming up, we can hopefully sustain that loss.

Edited by NJDevs4978

in case people haven't noticed, the devils are still 30th in offense this year. part of the reason they are 30th is because brian rolston is playing a major role in the offense. he is not good. elias has been driving the bus for EVERYONE this year - when you play with elias, your numbers are improved, and when you don't, they aren't.

rolston is not doing enough. he plays the point on the power play. he gets great ice time with the devils' best forward. with that, he's doing okay. it's still not good enough.

because of the 35+ rule where any multi-year contract signed past the age of 35 counts on the cap regardless of whether or where the player is playing (as long as he is not injured), him retiring would be worse than him playing.

i've really talked myself into this florida thing, though. he doesn't have a top 6 role next year, and he could go wherever he pleased if that deal went down. he'd probably lose at most $150,000 in real dollars.

I'm confused, he is under contract for next year. How would he lose money with any move?

I'm confused, he is under contract for next year. How would he lose money with any move?

When a team buys out a player on a 35 and over contract the team has to pay him less actual dollars.

Edit: By actual dollars I mean what the team pays the player; it has nothing to do with cap hit.

Edited by devils26

This Florida Plan seems like a long shot. You need

1. Florida ownership to talk themselves into buying out a player they don't even have just to reach a salary floor, instead of say signing a mediocre guy like Ponikarovsky for 1 year 2 million dollars who is at least going to play. I don't see why they would do this unless the Devils gave them a valuable prospect or pick, the Ponikarovsky (just an example, there will be other FAs looking for a home) plan makes more sense for them.

2. Brian Rolston to waive his NTC to accept a buy out, to get a new contract. Why the hell would he do this? I would hope his Agent is not a moron and would talk him out of it. It would be a mistake.

Obviously 5 million in cap space is better than 2.5 million but isn't this just REALLY wishful thinking?

EDIT: Another factor, you have to hope the Devils among all teams trying to get under the cap, present the best scenario for Florida to reach the salary floor. There will be other teams looking to dump salary, and you need buying out Rolston to be Florida's best option instead of say trading for Chris Drury and a Prospect or whatever other offers other GMS are forming to entice Florida.

Edited by halfsharkalligatorhalfman