The spending continues!

Weekes Head

According to TSN.ca:

Report: Yankees to sign RHP Maddux

TSN.ca Staff

2/16/2004

A source has told WABC-TV in New York that free-agent RHP Greg Maddux will sign with the Yankees sometime later this week. The Los Angeles Dodgers, San Francesco Giants, and Chicago Cubs had been wooing Maddux this offseason apparently to no avail.

Earlier Monday, on a conference call with the media, Yankees' GM Brian Cashman denied having interest in the Maddux's services.

Last season, Maddux had a 16-11 mark and a 3.96 ERA, as he completed his 11th season in Atlanta.

In December 2002, the Braves offered arbitration for Maddux and he accepted and got a one-year, $14.75 million contract. This time around, the Braves weren't willing to spend that kind of money for his services.

A second-round draft choice in 1984 by the Cubs, Maddux will turn 38 in April.

He will begin the 2004 season 11 wins shy of 300 for his career. He has a lifetime mark of 289-163 with a 2.89 ERA.

Maddux won his first Cy Young Award in 1992, his final season with the Cubs.

He had a 20-11 mark with a 2.18 ERA that season, but left the team following a contract dispute and signed as a free agent with Atlanta.

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=72469

Is their pitching all that great though? I mean the loss of Pettitte and Clemens HAS to hurt, who did they replace those two with? I don't follow baseball closely, so I wouldn't know much....

And isn't their bullpen questionable at best? Wasn't that their downfall for most of the season last year? I remember them bringing in a different guy a day, it was unreal! Didn't they go as far as bringing in Jesse Orasco (sp)?

Yeah I'm pretty sure they at least invited him for a tryout...George does have a fascination with collecting '86 Mets after all <_< with Doc, Darryl, and Mazilli on the coaching staff. He even tried to hire Carter in some capacity till the Mets fortunately stepped up and offered him a job in the organization.

First off, you don't have the best SS in MLB playing 3rd, so Jeter will end up moving. The Sox still have better pitching to have Derek Lowe as your number 4 is good, and they now have a closer (who is a hockey fan BTW, Orr called him a told him if he wins in Boston he will be a hero). Boston still has the better TEAM, they may not have a-Rod but they can and will win. NOMAR'S BETTER!

Maddux was never going to go to the Yankees. He doesn't like New York or the North East. His wife is afraid of these cities. He turned down more money in his prime from the Yankees to go to the Braves. He already turned down offers from the Mets and Sox.

I don't know where those rumors started, but Cashman denied everything today.

It's not officially official, but it looks like the Maddux-to-the-Cubs deal is going to happen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1737634

[excerpt]

Maddux brought his career full circle Tuesday night when he decided to sign with the Cubs, the team that gave him his start in the majors. No official announcement was made, but a source close to the negotiations who spoke on condition of anonymity told The Associated Press that Maddux agreed to a $24 million deal that could go as long as three years.

[/excerpt]