Brodeur or Stevens

bruins4777

you can't really compare a position player to a goaltender. Stevens was a great all around defensman at one point but I thought he could've put up more points between 1995 and now, that probably prevents him from being legendary like Bourque or Bobby Orr. It's like with Leetch, the fact that he didn't showcase his game in the playoffs for so long and was stuck on so many bad Ranger teams will hurt him.

Brodeur is the greatest puckhandling goalie of all times and a great positional player. He's one of the reasons NJ always keeps the shots low, Brodeur makes it easier on himself by handling to puck so well. They even want to change the rules because of this! good glove hand, durable...

But as a pure puckstopper....above average. good, not great. in the playoffs, in OT, I'd take Mike Richter.

Good, not great in the playoffs? While Brodeur doesn't have a Conn Smythe and his overtime record is atrocious, he kept the Devils in a lot of games.

You can't compare Stevens and Brodeur, it's like comparing a pitcher to a batter. You can compare Stevens to other defensemen and Brodeur to other goalies: Stevens, Larry Robinson, and Eddie Shore are considered the three greatest defensive defensemen of all time. Brodeur will never be considered greater than Roy, and probably not Hasek either, not to mention goalies past.

Good, not great in the playoffs?  While Brodeur doesn't have a Conn Smythe and his overtime record is atrocious, he kept the Devils in a lot of games.

You can't compare Stevens and Brodeur, it's like comparing a pitcher to a batter.  You can compare Stevens to other defensemen and Brodeur to other goalies:  Stevens, Larry Robinson, and Eddie Shore are considered the three greatest defensive defensemen of all time.  Brodeur will never be considered greater than Roy, and probably not Hasek either, not to mention goalies past.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

poorly written, I didn't mean he was not great in the playoffs. not counting ot games, his playoff record is great.

just as a pure puckstopper he is good. add in his revolutionary stickhandling and he's great. not on the level of Roy and Hasek though when it comes to making saves, or dominating the way they dominated.

The relationship between the two is part of what makes them both so great. Their priorities are in complete sinc - that coupled with their great natural talent makes them who they are.

Based on pure natural talent Brodeur has more. Based on hockey sense and hard work Stevens has the edge. Stevens can call up focus Brodeur is more losey goosey mentally. But both bring what they have on a consitant basis and are thus equally valuable to the team.

If I was forced to take one or the other I would take Brodeur even if they were the same age.

You can't compare them as has been suggested by others in this thread.

Devils can win the cup without Stevens but not without Brodeur.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I disagree...

While it may be going out on a limb I really think that it wasn't merely working with the Devils staff that got Brodeurs work ethic and priorities alligned -- but that he also had the example of Stevens putting the team philosophy into action in a personalized way. Stevens illustrates how you aren't sacrificing - you're succeeding. This gave Marty a huge advantage -- it gave him the ability to TRUST a system (not merely individuals spouting it) which is just absolutely key. I personally feel that it's very difficult to know if Brodeur is the same player without Stevens. Without the mindset I think Brodeur is just another mad skillz goalie who loses focus too easily.

Edited by Darwindog

I read this thread and realize more than ever how much we need hockey to start again.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Me too MS- my head shaking muscles have not been getting enough of a workout without having stuff like this to read daily.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking now or in the past?

This is one those nebulous statements that no one will ever know the answer. However, I don't think the Devils could have won those cups WITHOUT Stevens.

In the near future we will see if the Devils can win the cup without Stevens.

I think the better question is who would be the centerpiece of your new franchise and that has an easy answer, Marty.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

when the answer is Marty the question is NOT the better one... :lol:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are you talking now or in the past?

This is one those nebulous statements that no one will ever know the answer. However, I don't think the Devils could have won those cups WITHOUT Stevens.

In the near future we will see if the Devils can win the cup without Stevens.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And that's not even true because he's left his imprint on the team now... that (to me of course) is akin to saying without Lemaire would the Devils be the team they are today - he's been gone for ages but he left an indellable thumb print.

:unsure: anyone gonna bite? :evil:

:boogie:

Edited by Darwindog

This is easy to reply because both players are of a different age.

So let's assume they are the same for this exercise. IMO Devils don't win any cup without Marty.

PK we did see Marty play without Stevens it was the last season of hockey 2003/2004 and he played well IMO.

I am not knocking the talent of Stevens in his better days but IMO Marty brings more to the team. If we speak of today then Stevens can be left at home fog for sure, just the age difference and Stevens slow down leaves him at home. Marty is what he is regardless of who made him

PK it's unfair to use Lamaire in comparison because he was a coach the brought a system not a player. His system prevails today in one form or another.

But I agree with Rock no one will ever know.

So my answer is simple:

Today....... Marty

Yesterday...........Marty

before 95 maybe Stevens not sure.

They both have something in common besides Hockey, however. Rock knows what I am referring to.