DEVS RIDDLED BY CAP

Elias26

Link

DEVS RIDDLED BY CAP

By MARK (N)Єverson

September 25, 2006 -- Nothing else quite matters in Devils camp until Lou Lamoriello gets his cap sorted out. If he doesn't win an unlikely victory, allowing him to cross off the $7.1 million Alexander Mogilny-Vladimir Malakhov cap liability crippling him, he'll have to gut his team.

Soon.

Already, there is spontaneous consideration in Jersey's "limited-trade contract" contingent of which destinations would be acceptable if Lamoriello loses his case.

"If the league does it for one team, it will have to do if for everybody," Flyer GM Bobby Clarke said of the expected Devils request to be forgiven $3.5 million in cap liability because of Mogilny's chronic hip ailment.

The major issue of precedent stands as another likely problem for the Devils' case. If they are granted LTI cap relief for Mogilny, it will effectively make any long-term incapacity an exception to the rule that says the second and subsequent years of contracts signed by over-35s count against the cap, "whether or wherever," they play.

Other teams declined signing over-35s to multiyear deals, believing the CBA means what it says. They suggest the second season on those contracts could be the winning difference in offers, and shouldn't then be forgiven, changing the rules after the fact. "That's why I didn't sign [Martin] Rucinsky," Rangers GM Clen Sather told The Post.

David Clarkson and Zach Parise had power-play goals as the Devils scored a 3-1 exhibition victory over the Capitals last night in Hershey, Pa.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The league isn't dragging their feet. Lou hasn't even requested the LTI exemption.

As for the other whiners, really now, I can see not signing a 35+ player for more than one year because you fear the player may lose effectiveness. But not signing a 35+ player because you presume he is going to get injured?

In Mogilny's case it was easy to predict, but lets say Joe Sakic signed a 3 year deal and gets hit by a zamboni forcing him to quit hockey. That salary money shouldn't be sitting against the cap.

Edited by Don

In Mogilny's case it was easy to predict, but lets say Joe Sakic signed a 3 year deal and gets hit by a zamboni forcing him to quit hockey. That salary money shouldn't be sitting against the cap.

I agree... but if you sign Sakic after he gets hit by the Zamboni (like we did) then buyer beware.

hes' probably waiting for one of us to come up with an idea and post it so he can use it.

Maybe Lou should hire Tony Soprano to "take care" of Vlad and AlMo. :D

In all seriousness, what happens is a player dies? I know it's a morbid thought, but does their salary count towards the cap? I tend to doubt it.

But if Sakic is cleared to play, then he's cleared to play. I don't think there should be a difference, it's pseudo discrimination.

Again. I agree. My point was that AlMo had a history of this type of problem while playing in Toronto (if I'm not mistaken) so that it flared up to the point that he can't play anymore isn't really new news.

Contrary to all these reports, I think that the applicable terminology from the CBA, namely 50.5 (d)(i)(b)(5), is rather ambigious. It states that all player salary bonuses earned in a season by a player who in the second or later year of a contract that was signed when they were over 35 shall count toward cap even if that player is NOT on the Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve....Meaning, that IF the player IS ON the injured reserve, there wont be a cap hit - that should take care of mogs. Also, the "whether, or where" language actually states "whether, or where the player is playing." Well, playing is UNdefined - and could only mean that a player is being sit or that a player is not actually being played or used - ala Darren Langdon. It may not have been meant to entail a player who is refusing to report to camp or for that matter refuse to play. If a player is refusing to play, I do not see how the league can justify taxing the devils for a player who is refusing to play or even report to camp. I think a valid argument exists that the intention here was to protect a PLAYER from moves by a team to disown him when he got old, not to punish a team for a player who refuses to participate.

sorry rock...i just got the roto link on a google alert and when i looked at it, i saw the post link, but figured it was a different article.

in the end, we all know that the devils aren't going to forfeit games or show up with none of these guys signed. lou already knows what he's doing and just because these dumbass "writers" don't know doesn't mean that lou's sitting aroung doing nothing.

lou tells the press absolutely NOTHING of substance until he absolutely must. He's got McG's 2.2 on the way to Lowell. He's got Weimer and Matvichuk onto LTIR. Mogilny will be sure to join them. Even if the league wants to pull the minor league crap, there's nothing in the CBA to back them up. There's even talk that Madden will start the season on the IR because of his surgery.

it stinks that we're all speculating and all we have to go on are the words of know-nothing journalists. i've chosen to simply forget about it and just wait for opening night when I expect all the relevant guys to be playing.

but the ltir isn't really cap releif, is it? it just says that you can replace the salary of the player.

so, mogilny would still be counted against the cap, but his salary can be replaced by gionta... or am I misunderstanding this?

You aren't misunderstanding it. That is correct. It is my understanding that NJ was actually over the cap last year. But they were allowed to go over it because of LTIE.

The thing is that before you go over the cap for the LTIE, you have to be legitimately under the cap in some way. You cannot be over it first. My guess is, all of the LTIE, even the ones NJ has been given already (Wiemer, Matvichuck) don't actually hit until October 1st (I think that's it, under the CBA, although I'd have to double-check). McGillis going to the minors wouldn't hit until then, either, because he has a 1-way contract. But that would get them under the cap, legitimately. Then you can go over it. That's when you'll see the announcements of the contracts, I'd guess.

sorry rock...i just got the roto link on a google alert and when i looked at it, i saw the post link, but figured it was a different article.

in the end, we all know that the devils aren't going to forfeit games or show up with none of these guys signed. lou already knows what he's doing and just because these dumbass "writers" don't know doesn't mean that lou's sitting aroung doing nothing.

lou tells the press absolutely NOTHING of substance until he absolutely must. He's got McG's 2.2 on the way to Lowell. He's got Weimer and Matvichuk onto LTIR. Mogilny will be sure to join them. Even if the league wants to pull the minor league crap, there's nothing in the CBA to back them up. There's even talk that Madden will start the season on the IR because of his surgery.

it stinks that we're all speculating and all we have to go on are the words of know-nothing journalists. i've chosen to simply forget about it and just wait for opening night when I expect all the relevant guys to be playing.

It's not the fact that it's the same article, it's that rotoworld deduced that Lou already filed LTI from that NY Post article!

You aren't misunderstanding it. That is correct. It is my understanding that NJ was actually over the cap last year. But they were allowed to go over it because of LTIE.

The thing is that before you go over the cap for the LTIE, you have to be legitimately under the cap in some way. You cannot be over it first. My guess is, all of the LTIE, even the ones NJ has been given already (Wiemer, Matvichuck) don't actually hit until October 1st (I think that's it, under the CBA, although I'd have to double-check). McGillis going to the minors wouldn't hit until then, either, because he has a 1-way contract. But that would get them under the cap, legitimately. Then you can go over it. That's when you'll see the announcements of the contracts, I'd guess.

That is what I had deduced too...everything will happen very quickly on opening night.

When, exactly do the Devils have to have the cap situation resolved - Opening Night of the NHL season (Oct. 4) or their Opening Night (Oct. 6)? If it's the former, we have nine days and counting.

I'm not sure of all the numbers so someone correct me if I'm wrong. If I'm right we seem to be a little over $41 million not even counting Mogilny, Matvichuk, Wiemer or the unsigned FA's.

Brodeur - $5.2 million

Backup (Clemm/Doyle) - $450k

Rafalski - $4.2 million

White - $3 million

Martin - ?

Lukowich - $1 million

Hale - ?

Oduya - $450k

Lachance - $450k

Elias - $6 million

Gomez - $5 million

Gionta - ?